'92 Subaru SVX AWD
By PhoenixSVX on
1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD
I 'inherited' this car with 86K miles on it from a family member who had purchased it new and treated it very kindly. The transmission [the weak link in the chain] had been rebuilt at 73K miles. I immediately installed the largest external transmission cooler that could fit. The vehicle consistently gets 19-20 mpg in town and I've seen 30 mpg on the highway and is very comfortable. I found a local mechanic that loves the cars and, other than for routine maintenance, the car is never in the shop and has never let me down. It's an absolute blast to drive through curving mountain roads. It's neat to pull up to a stoplight and not see three other ones there with you like some other makes.
Favorite Features
It's like sitting in a 'greenhouse.' There are no blind spots from any of the roof pillars. The AWD is great on wet roads. This vehicle was over engineered, and that's a good thing for the owner. From what I've read, if you maintain the motor properly, it'll run for a VERY long time.
Suggested Improvements
Since the car is 18 years old now. there's no need crying over spilt milk; but I wish they'd designed a transmission specifically for the SVX instead of pulling one off the parts shelf.