Used 1992 Subaru SVX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru SVX - Consumer Reviews

LS 3.3L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )

Fell in love at first sight
By ron193

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Take off feels like an American luxury V8, except it's awd so no tires slip. You'll get complements "what kind of car is that" question. I love the asymmetric mag wheels (L/R are different) which adds to uniqueness. It's a heavy and wide car, slalom like bends gets the car leaning like a boat, but it still grips. Great city driver if you don't mind the 6cyl mileage, great hwy cruiser. Braking is mediocre for car of this weight and pwr. Only problems were creaky dashboard (known to Subaru) and weak Tranny, which died after I traded it in. I'd taken it on fishing trip & even minor offroad (by accident) stoped when tranny temp light turned on. I'd buy this car again if possible.

This car had a spaceage design that I loved. 0-60km (km not miles) acceleration would leave pretty much any car except porsches/drag cars in the rearview mirror. Past 60km/hr however even civics would catch up.

stronger Auto Tranny, manual tranny option.

'92 Subaru SVX LS 'Touring'
By Roy Corley

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' the car in March of 2009 from my sister-in-law who bought it new in Tucson. The car had 86K miles and the transmission had been rebuilt around 75K. The car had led a very sheltered life and was in exceptional condition for its age. Within a week, it received a complement at a stoplight from a Ferrari driver. I drove the car on a 3700 mile loop through Texas and New Mexico in July. It never missed a beat and averaged 28 mpg for the trip. It's an absolute blast to drive through mountain twisties. The car has never let me down, but finding a quality mechanic is of utmost importance. Fortunately, I found one here in Scottsdale that loves the car and is honest as the day is long.

Due to the styling, it's often mistaken for a 90-96 Nissan 300Z. The 'over engineering' is amazing and I liken it to a Japanese Mercedes when it comes to build quality. The 'window within a window' is a great feature and the AWD gives you a sense of security on wet surfaces.

Too late now, but I wish the car had about 300 hp and an automatic transmission that would stand up to it, now that I can no longer drive a manual gearbox due to a spinal cord injury.

'92 Subaru SVX AWD
By PhoenixSVX

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' this car with 86K miles on it from a family member who had purchased it new and treated it very kindly. The transmission [the weak link in the chain] had been rebuilt at 73K miles. I immediately installed the largest external transmission cooler that could fit. The vehicle consistently gets 19-20 mpg in town and I've seen 30 mpg on the highway and is very comfortable. I found a local mechanic that loves the cars and, other than for routine maintenance, the car is never in the shop and has never let me down. It's an absolute blast to drive through curving mountain roads. It's neat to pull up to a stoplight and not see three other ones there with you like some other makes.

It's like sitting in a 'greenhouse.' There are no blind spots from any of the roof pillars. The AWD is great on wet roads. This vehicle was over engineered, and that's a good thing for the owner. From what I've read, if you maintain the motor properly, it'll run for a VERY long time.

Since the car is 18 years old now. there's no need crying over spilt milk; but I wish they'd designed a transmission specifically for the SVX instead of pulling one off the parts shelf.

SVX under-rated
By love subies

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I got my SVX 3 years ago with a new transmission because the original owner towed it by the front tires forgetting it is awd. The tranny was $4800 but i only paid $3200 for it! I have since put in new ignition, fuel system, harmonic balancer, head gaskets, door locks, antenna motor, spark plugs and wires, rack and pinion, and more. Talk about not cheap. One of the upper glass pieces on the doors was over $300 dollars new, but I went to a junk yard and got it for $75 but was $80 to install. What can I say I love this car, and have been looking for the chip and supercharger I want. Soon I will have my Superu

I can get most of the power I need by shifting it manually through the gears, not manual mode which helps on hills.

6 speed manual transmission, to get one retrofitted (difficult) is $5000 (looked into it). Super charge it and blow away anything but supercars

Svx....sweetest car ever made.
By girlofthenorth

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

This car is awesome, I live in an area of over 150,000 people and never see another one! People always stare and ask what it is... haha. I love this car, it's super fast, but bad tranny:( too bad they didn't make them 5 speed. Auto tranny is poor and expensive to fix. $1400 for a tranny overhaul at around 120k miles. Engine is quiet, never burns oil. Brakes seem a little weak even after replacing things, still squeak. Rear wheel bearings seem to be a common issue on all Subarus I've heard of. AWD is sweet as hell though. Don't want to get rid of this car ever!

Sweet windows, the look of the car all around, dual exhaust, nice leather interior, 92 factory cd player still works, auto climate control, fast car, head turner :)

Transmission.