1992 Subaru SVX - Consumer Reviews

LS 3.3L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )
Fell in love at first sight
By ron193 on 03/26/11 16:18 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Take off feels like an American luxury V8, except it's awd so no tires slip. You'll get complements "what kind of car is that" question. I love the asymmetric mag wheels (L/R are different) which adds to uniqueness. It's a heavy and wide car, slalom like bends gets the car leaning like a boat, but it still grips. Great city driver if you don't mind the 6cyl mileage, great hwy cruiser. Braking is mediocre for car of this weight and pwr. Only problems were creaky dashboard (known to Subaru) and weak Tranny, which died after I traded it in. I'd taken it on fishing trip & even minor offroad (by accident) stoped when tranny temp light turned on. I'd buy this car again if possible.

'92 Subaru SVX LS 'Touring'
By Roy Corley on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' the car in March of 2009 from my sister-in-law who bought it new in Tucson. The car had 86K miles and the transmission had been rebuilt around 75K. The car had led a very sheltered life and was in exceptional condition for its age. Within a week, it received a complement at a stoplight from a Ferrari driver. I drove the car on a 3700 mile loop through Texas and New Mexico in July. It never missed a beat and averaged 28 mpg for the trip. It's an absolute blast to drive through mountain twisties. The car has never let me down, but finding a quality mechanic is of utmost importance. Fortunately, I found one here in Scottsdale that loves the car and is honest as the day is long.

'92 Subaru SVX AWD
By PhoenixSVX on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' this car with 86K miles on it from a family member who had purchased it new and treated it very kindly. The transmission [the weak link in the chain] had been rebuilt at 73K miles. I immediately installed the largest external transmission cooler that could fit. The vehicle consistently gets 19-20 mpg in town and I've seen 30 mpg on the highway and is very comfortable. I found a local mechanic that loves the cars and, other than for routine maintenance, the car is never in the shop and has never let me down. It's an absolute blast to drive through curving mountain roads. It's neat to pull up to a stoplight and not see three other ones there with you like some other makes.

SVX under-rated
By love subies on 10/12/08 15:41 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I got my SVX 3 years ago with a new transmission because the original owner towed it by the front tires forgetting it is awd. The tranny was $4800 but i only paid $3200 for it! I have since put in new ignition, fuel system, harmonic balancer, head gaskets, door locks, antenna motor, spark plugs and wires, rack and pinion, and more. Talk about not cheap. One of the upper glass pieces on the doors was over $300 dollars new, but I went to a junk yard and got it for $75 but was $80 to install. What can I say I love this car, and have been looking for the chip and supercharger I want. Soon I will have my Superu

Svx....sweetest car ever made.
By girlofthenorth on 09/15/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

This car is awesome, I live in an area of over 150,000 people and never see another one! People always stare and ask what it is... haha. I love this car, it's super fast, but bad tranny:( too bad they didn't make them 5 speed. Auto tranny is poor and expensive to fix. $1400 for a tranny overhaul at around 120k miles. Engine is quiet, never burns oil. Brakes seem a little weak even after replacing things, still squeak. Rear wheel bearings seem to be a common issue on all Subarus I've heard of. AWD is sweet as hell though. Don't want to get rid of this car ever!

Favorite thus-far
By lots-o-cars on 09/12/08 01:21 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Great car all-around. I bought it at 114k miles, and have driven it for about 15k miles. The only thing I've replaced is the water pump. AWD so it corners amazingly. Very comfortable. more-so than my Infiniti. people try to race me every time i drive it. And i usually win. But always get a thumbs up or something. Very sturdy. This car was hit in a parking lot by an H2 hummer (and repaired) prior to me buying it. Then less than 2 weeks after I bought it, it was hit on the same corner (front right) by a big White work van. I bent the fender off of the tire and the car drove perfectly straight. I also hit a rock big enough to break my rim on the same front right tire. No real damage.

Why it has grown on us!
By Brigitte Javidara on 02/01/07 13:30 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

It is one of the most fun-cars to drive. I traded in my 1989 Corvette for this SVX and immediately became a stable and peaceful person. The smooth and in particular the quiet drive, even at speed, is a real driving experience. It's like sitting in an air plane, smooth and quiet. There never were any technical problems. Now that I am older however, it is a little harder for me to get in and out of the car.

Definitely a different drive
By Xodi-SVX on 06/06/05 07:53 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I purchased my Subaru SVX back in May of '04 and have never looked back. This car is completely different from every other car on the road. Its rare to see another one, and quite honestly, owning one is like having a membership into a cult of sorts. The 3.3 liter Boxer H-6 engine definitely puts out the power to the wheels, which happens to be all wheel drive. Coupled with independent ABS on each disc (Yes, four discs, not two discs and two drums), this car will get you up to speed and back to a halt in no time flat. And if you're not sold on it yet, here is another tidbit. When you floor it, a green light on the dash displays POWER. Such a rush to drive.

great car except for tranny
By ozzy1 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Loved to drive the car, but had to put in 4 transmissions in the 9 years I owned it (bought it new in '92) Yes 4 trannys. Two were under warantee, but the last two were my expense and at over $3K...yikes. Got rid when it went again. I did not drive it hard either. CV boots go every year as well and tough to keep in allignment. With all that said, I would still be driving it if it were not for the tranny, as this was a great car to drive.

What more can you ask for
By vollball81 on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this car with 180k on it and it runs perfect still. The interior is perfect. The tranny was rebuilt, and the car electronically works perfectly. This car I expect to go at least another 100k