2017 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Outback SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

This Outback Fills The Bill
By Walter Churchill

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Living in Maine it's important to have a reliable car that can handle all of the various road conditions. Although I have 3 cars (a Lexus ES, a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and the Outback), my vehicle of choice during the winter has always been the Subaru. I previously had a Subaru Baja, but after 12 years it was starting to see the effects of the Maine winters. I recently replaced it with the Outback Limited. Subaru has finally started to add the technology and creature comforts that have been around for many years in the Toyota and other Japanese cars. This car is extremely comfortable to drive. the steering is tight and predictable, the breaking is excellent, and the Navigation and I-sight systems work well. Although I've only had the car for a few months, the more that I drive it the more that I like it. It's not as quiet and doesn't have the soft ride of my Lexus, but it's still very quiet at highway speeds and the road feel is smooth. There is little or no lean going around curves. The various controls, although logically positioned, still took a little getting used to as they are somewhat different than other cars I have owned. However, after driving the car for a few months I've gotten used to where everything is and have no issues. The car has great visibility, an incredible amount of interior space, and several features that I've only seen on some of the more expensive luxury cars, such as heated and reclining rear passenger seats. I anticipate that this car will be trouble free, and the Subaru guarantee is bumper to bumper including "wear items" (such as windshield wipers, break pads, etc.). I would not hesitate to recommend this SUV to anyone.

Lapis Blue SUV
By Christine

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

Know the value of your trade in and use it to your best advantage! Be persistent and you'll end up with the car you want! I really like my Subaru Outback!

Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
By Robert

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 2014 Cadillac XTS Platinum for this car. I went to Subaru to test out a WRX but realized it was a kid's car and maybe not the best choice with three teenage boys in the house! The "cheap" WRX was the same cost of the Outback Limited 2.5i and it didn't even come with the premium options such as Eye Sight et. al.. Decided to go with the Outback Limited with the 2.5i boxer engine (didn't see that another $3000 for the larger engine was really worth any kind of extra oomph in the car). After coming from a car with 410hp to a car with 175hp is quite a big difference and I am still not used to it (and grumble about it a lot). My aim was to save money and with the Limited and I got what I wanted. My insurance is the cheapest it has been in many, many years and I no longer have to buy premium fuel. Even though I only have 3/4 left the tank maximum mileage seems to stay at 230 mile to empty. So far, and I've had the car a week now, in city driving I have achieved about 18.5 gallons to the mile and it keeps creeping up. Aside from the really anemic acceleration and CVT transmission - which I really detest but they are here to stay with new fuel mandates and will be on all cars soon. I really love this car and it was the right choice and feature-wise it had just about everything my Cadillac did. On that note, the missing features are as follows: no remote engine start, even as an option (just a weird dealer option which I declined), the door locks cannot be programed - meaning once you are in and in-gear doors stay unlocked until someone physically locks them - very odd for such a feature rich vehicle. Same applies when leaving the vehicle and odd for a car that has keyless entry because most cars can be set to lock once you are out of key range which is why the term is keyless - you don't have to have it in hand. Other weird thing is you can't turn on all the interior lights unless you open a door - only map lights are available and I have not found a way to open the rear hatch unassisted (most cars with an auto-hatch have an on/off button). Regardless of this vehicle's design flaws, I still find it a great value and am glad I went with it.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited is great!
By Marques E.

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

I took advantage of the August 2016 Zero down, Zero % APR offer from Subaru to purchase this car. The Outback was on my short list of new cars; I also considered the Kia Sorento, the Ford Edge, the Subaru Forrester, and Toyota Highlander, Mazda CX-5 & CX-9. After test drives, much number crunching and internet research and opinions from friends, I went with the Subaru Outback. I love this car! It is quick, quiet, well-upholstered, and has the active safety features I was looking for.

DETAILED REVIEWS

Engine & Transmission: I have never had a car with a CVT before and I read lots of articles denigrating CVTs. However, as I do not care if my car makes sports car "vroom vroom" sounds or if it shifts like a Ferrari, I did not care about the presence of the CVT (although almost every "car guy" review does). The CVT in this car is super-smooth, except for a *very* slight stuttering at very low speed (< 5 mph) under low acceleration. Past that, the powertrain is nice and smooth, and the flat 6 does a great job getting the car up to highway speed. If you are happy with a sub-7 second 0-60 time (6.9 sec), then you will be happy with the 3.6R. Fuel economy numbers seem to be as advertised. Most of my driving is "city" driving and I drive fast (trying to change this) so after 1 month of ownership I have been averaging 21 MPG. My previous car was a diesel that averaged over 40 MPG during the summer, but the Outback is larger, more powerful, quicker, much nicer, and the fuel (87 octane) is cheaper so it balances out.

Interior Trim: I have nothing but praise for the fit and finish of the cabin. The Trim of the 3.6R Limited Edition is great; smooth and attractive to the eye. The (fake?) wood trim is nice, but I do not feel it adds that much to the car.

Interior Comfort: I am 6'-1" and this car has plenty of room, front and back. I love the lumbar support of the front seats, but some reviews called it "aggressive lumbar support. The lumbar support sticks out more than any other car I every had, but MY lower back loves it. My wife, at 5'-6", does not, which does not surprise me. It does not appear that the lumbar support can be lowered enough to accommodate her. She says the back seats are comfortable, so that is nice. The seats are just the right amount of firmness for me.

Exterior: My main complaint is driver's side visibility. The visibility out of the driver's side mirror is poor IMHO and leaves a huge blind spot. So much that the active safety features for the left side of the car are NEEDED, otherwise you will strain your neck checking your left. The driver's side mirror is of little help. If you can live with that, everything else is great. I think the styling is very nice, great for a wagon and still distinct from other crossover SUVs. Also, mine is Venetian Red which makes it look even better ;-)

Electronics/Infotainment: I do not use Subaru's Navigation system because I have Waze and Google Maps on my smartphone, so I cannot rate that Subaru's system. UPDATE - 9/27/2016: I tried it once and it worked fine although the controls are not intuitive. I believe by 2016-17 most people have a smartphone with some type of navigation app built-in that gets frequently updated, so I do not see much point in the USA for Subaru to put much effort into developing a top-of-the-line navigation system. However, if for some reason your phone is dead/lost, and you do not have paper maps (what's wrong with you?!) then this system would be adequate. My phone is linked via Bluetooth to my car (easy to do) and I exclusively listen to Pandora and Spotify through it. So much that I still have not learned how to fully operate the HD radio, such as setting preset stations, et.! When I get around to checking out the HD radio, I will update this review.

Cargo: I have not tested the car's cargo capacity yet, but cargo capacity was one of the main reasons for choosing the Outback so I am sure it will great. The molded Styrofoam compartment underneath the cargo area floor mat has lots of little trays that can be used to hold a surprising amount of supplies in an organized fashion. Right now, I keep a voltmeter, bungee cords, flat repair kit and some other useful knickknacks in there. Also, the center console compartment is deep, great for storing the stuff you will use most often.

Safety: The two things I insisted on when deciding on purchasing the 2017 Outback were: a 6-cylinder engine and the Eyesight system. The IIHS gives the Eyesight system its highest rating (Superior), which at the time of my research was only shared with Kia's system. Human error is the overwhelming cause of car accidents, and I believe automated systems that HELP us prevent accidents are highly desirable. The Eyesight system works great, although the lane-keeping sensor is a bit sensitive in my opinion.

That's it for now. I am really enjoying this car and I hope you do as well.

Extremely well balanced car
By Phil

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought a 2016 Hyundai Tucson and had to get rid of it because of dangerous engineering defect of the DCT transmissions. Bought the Outback and wished I had done this in the beginning. We took our first trip and got 30+ MPG. Extremely comfortable ride, takes a n enormous amount of cargo, actually more then the Tucson, feels like a much sturdier car. I was worried about the 4 cylinder engine ,but we were able to keep up with traffic and enter highways with no problems. The GPS worked great as well as the adaptive cruise control. Can not say enough about this car.