2015 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Outback SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Poor gas milage
By v cook

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Subaru advertised 25 city 33 highway mpg the outback will not do better than 26mpg combined,27mpg best I have seen on highway. Dealer said wait till 10 k miles now have 15k miles and it has not improved. I believe Subaru is misrepresenting the mpg

Think twice before you buy a Subaru!
By VF

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Think twice before you buy a Subaru!
I have continued to have ongoing issues with my 2015 Subaru Outback. Since day one the electronics system has not worked.

The phone rings and my system seizes won’t answer the phone and won’t release the call back to the phone. Then I get 10 minutes of the phone “ringing” even though the call is long gone.

My USB drives sometimes don’t show up, sometimes sound like a skipping CD, sometimes takes up to 30 minutes to load the list of songs.

The navigation system is just about worthless, it is about five years behind Google maps, in fact one service member told me to “just use my phone.”

The system spontaneously restarts all on its own rebooting to the Starlink screen and finally resetting after several minutes.
I have brought my car in about six times between two different dealerships over the past two years. Every time they perform a firmware update that does nothing. In fact on two occasions I got the car back and my windows didn’t work or my center console menus didn’t work.

The first time I took it to Napleton Subaru they kept the car for twice the quoted time only to tell me they don’t even have the cables to service the system.

I contacted Subaru of America and things got worse. I was told to take it back to Napleton and they would keep my car for as long as it takes to diagnose the problem. They gave me the car back after six hours and when I asked what they found, I was told they only did a firmware update and didn’t run diagnostics. I checked the invoice and this is exactly what is on the invoice. I told them that Subaru of America said they would keep it for as long as it took, and they told me SOA instructed the to only perform the firmware update. I was also told the manager would be involved throughout the whole process, I never spoke with him once; only the same service member as before who was rude both times.

Upon contacting SOA again I asked to speak to a manager and was contacted by Tony Huynh who has been rude, unprofessional, and condescending throughout the whole process. He explained to me that Napleton couldn’t find anything wrong. I explained that they told me they didn’t even look and the invoice reflected this. In fact, no one claimed to attempt to diagnose the issue until I complained. I provided Tony with videos and pictures of the problem and his response in email is exactly transcribed below.

[If you are claiming all these things are happening frequently, but have yet to be able to duplicate the concern at the retailer then how are they to "fix" the issue?]

I explained that these issues are clearly happening and that if they can’t fix the issue they should replace the unit since it is under warranty. Tony’s response:

[There are no warranty repairs for something that cannot be duplicated]

I asked to speak with his supervisor and his response:

Tony: The bottom line is, we are all here to help you and if our factory trained technicians cannot duplicate your concern then there is nothing to fix... period. If you want me to continue to remain involved, let me know when the vehicle is going back in for further inspection.

Me: Once again, please put me in contact with your supervisor.

Tony: Your case has been reviewed for further assistance by our management team. I am part of that management team.

Aside from these issues I have had three wheel bearings go bad almost all at the same time and all within the first year. I was told this was from “metal that gets in there at the factory.”

I have also now received my SECOND RECALL IN TWO YEARS!!!

In two years of owning this vehicle it has been nothing but trouble. Last week I was in the middle of nowhere Texas and the navigation system froze as you can see in the video below. I had to pull over and restart the car. This happened no less than six times.

Tony Huynh has still not put me in contact with his supervisor claiming he is in charge and the buck stops with him; and here I thought Tomomi Nakamura and Tom Doll ran the company.

This is especially troubling because I bought this car through USAA car buying in which the dealership reached out to me to make me an offer on the vehicle. It is troubling to think that Subaru is targeting veterans and then treating them this way, especially while ignoring a warranty. I will be contacting USAA and several veterans’ organizations and warning them to help keep Subaru from preying on veterans.

So Mr. Nakamura, Mr. Doll, if this is not how you think your company should be run, please contact me my case number is SR #:1-16996822879. If anyone else out there working for Subaru knows Tony Huynh’s supervisor or someone else in management that respects their warranty and their business’ reputation, please contact me regarding case number SR #:1-16996822879.

Please be sure to check my other videos on YouTube as well and
please thi

Tough wagon
By Ron patrick

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great gas mileage gives a great ride tough little wagon pulls my boat well fun car to drive

Battery issue
By Ryel

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I start having problem stating the ignition. The battery is intermittently giving problems. I always check that there is no light left on. I had it jump couple of times from Subaru road assistance and AAA. I was told that don't leave the key to accessories, that it will drain the battery. I think the battery had issues. i will bring it to dealership. Its just only 2 years old.

Bought the car the day it was available
By Gihan

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Was the first one to drive a 2015 Subaru Outback in Brooklyn. My impressions on owning the car since? It gets you from point A to point B comfortably, safely and unnoticed. If your speeding with a group of cars, the cop will want to stop the Infiniti or bmw! The car is actually spacious and perfect for grocery shopping, fishing, camping blah blah blah it's enough room ok.... The car is really good on the snow too..... You know that travel ban they issued on that huge snow storm? I didn't listen and took my car out to see if I COULD get stuck! Did I get stuck? At moments I thought I did until I pressed xmode. Car is unstoppable in the snow. Nothing beats seeing the guys face after you park your car in a parking spot AFTER he warned you not to otherwise you will get stuck. Gas mileage? I get about 15MPG city ( I know I know that's poor but NOT really if you live in nyc where you can get gridlocked for half an hour and travel 7 blocks), 36MPG highway!!! ( yeap! 3 more then suggested BUT you have to have a clear road and do 65mph and you have to be alone -- 28 mpg if you have the car packed with people and gear ). Have I had any issues? Yeah... The passenger side window would glitch and roll up all the way but mysteriously roll down half way and stop/ I would have to roll it up using the non auto roll up to complete the process/ subaru changed the motor and no more problem. Would I suggest you buy this car? Yea go for it man, what other options do you have? The thing gets good gas mileage, drives like a sedan ( thanks to the lower center of gravity the BOXER engine provides ), has good ground clearance ( 8.7 inches > better then jeep grand cherokee, Toyota Highlander ), has a good AWD system ( most SUVs and what not have open diffs and to compensate for that, they have TERRIBLE AWD systems that would be FWD bias or RWD bias or would have 1 front tire only spin and 1 rear tire spin while the other two tires don't do nothing resulting in you staying stuck in snow / BUT NOT the out back, once you press the XMODe all tires actually spin as if it has lockers in the front and rear ), is comfortable ( I can have the seats rolled all the way back and still sit comfortably in the back and I'm 6'2 ), has the BEST resale value ( you can buy a dodge or a chysler for brand new for $30,000 or buy one used only a couple years older for $6,000 lol, but not the outback! Just look at the resale value of the old outbacks and you would be shocked how expensive they are ) ok I'm tired typing. I hope I helped and contributed in your decision in buying this car. It's good don't worry, you won't be disappointed.