Great for families (my intended purpose)
By marbs34 on
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I really like this car, I've been looking into it for the last couple of years. All of the merits fit what I've wanted it for. Lots of room, reasonable gas mileage, car-like handling, off-pavement ability... This car gets it done, after the first couple of weeks getting adjusted to sitting up higher than what i traded in, (2013 Buick Regal GS) I took it on a road trip 400 miles each direction and was very happy with it's comfort for the trip. The seats are great,supportive yet soft while not creating circulation hot spots over long periods, the driver lumbar support is actually very, very good as well.
Favorite Features
ALL wheel drive, the low relative center of gravity allows for plenty of turning prowess, as long as you keep in mind the safety of what you are carrying it does great there. The engine is punchy, seems like the torque curve is linear, or the CVT is programmed for giving you what you want when you want it, overall its very responsive. Seats are great, interior room is awesome, I got rid of the regal when the rear facing child seat wouldn't fit without my knees nearly touching the dash (I"m 6'3"). Of course having the hatch makes loading things easy, and provides plenty of room for trips to Costco with a stroller already taking up space back there. I think the interior is good enough.
Suggested Improvements
I noticed that taking off from a dead stop can be jerky, you push the pedal, get a small rev, push a little more, and all of a sudden it's moving and every ones heads are moved back to the head rests. I experimented, with putting it in manual mode for 1st gear and it was much easier to modulate power from a stop like this. My feeling is that when coasting to a stop the gear ratio is somewhere near the 2nd gear ratio and when starting off in auto it takes a moment to let the ratio change to the desired rate of acceleration resulting in a small jolt. I feel like this will likely change after a few thousand miles of initial wear. its otherwise not a real problem per se. HK stereo isOK