Used 2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Subaru needs to redesign the braking system
By Andrew S

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So this is our second Subaru. The first was a 2012 Premium Outback 2.5, which we traded in with 62,000 miles. No major issues. We have owned the 2014 for about one month and have noticed a significant difference in the braking. The braking is extremely soft. With 24,000 miles on it, I changed out the all the brakes and rotors. I noticed the the rear pads had only about 20% remaining and the front pads had 60-70%. I thought this was odd and mentioned it to the dealer. The dealer stated that Subaru changed the majority braking application to the rear brakes preventing the vehicle from "dipping" when coming to a stop. Overall, I think this is a great idea, however Subaru forgot to increase the rear brake pads and rotors to prevent quick wear. So my guess is that I'll have to replace the rear brakes and rotors every 25,000-30,000 miles.
The 2014 handles better and rides smoother than the 2012.
The MPG seems to be less in the 2014 than the 2012.
The factory installed remote start needs to change. It's annoying the vehicle shuts off when you open a door, after activating the remote start.
The ride noise is a little loud.
The interior needs to be upgraded.
The only reason why we would purchase another Subaru is depending on the reliability of the 2014.

2014 2.5L Preium - There are better choices
By Warren

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

CVT transmission is worst feature on this car. The colder the temp outside the worse this feature is. Slow acceleration, high engine RPMs all while the engine is cold just to get this car moving. Interior of the car is cold in the winter. Cold air leaking around window and door controls. Read similar complaints by others in cold winter climates. Otherwise the car is ok and seems to be solid. Handling is reliable but certainly not fun to drive.

Over 2 years old now and still love it
By Steve S

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my OB in January 2014. I originally wanted a Forester, but later decided on the Outback for a better ride, more room and its availability, being that it was manufactured close to home here in the US. The Forester is mfg in Japan and was hard to find what I wanted. For what I wanted the price seemed reasonable. i got the base model with a special appearance package. I also bought one of their extended warranties, as I wasn't 100% sold on the CVT and heard some rumblings from other owners about oil leaks, but I suspect that is from the older engine Gen 2/3.

This car is FAR FROM PERFECT. In fact there are some items that are downright annoying to me. However, I still love it. Comfortable for long road trips, so far very reliable, great gas mileage (32 highway, around 28 around home/work, and winter months about 25 with the change in gas formulation we have here in Illinois).
*Acceleration: well, it's a four cylinder with CVT. I'm in no hurry nearly 100% of the time, and in the few times I get frustrated stuck behind a slower RV, I have plenty of passing power -- for a few seconds of 4000 rpm plus revving to get speed, I think the trade off is worth it.
*Last winter, I that had full traction on the snowy roads, while all the other cars around me just had a hell of time moving up a slight slope at the stop light!
*Braking has been good, but sometimes on hard or long braking, it might get spongy. One reviewer had issue in his review. I think he's just a pedal jammer and drives too hard for car of this type. He's right, this car wasn't for him.
*The 2015 reportedly is quieter than the 2014, but I'm satisfied. Hey! This is not a high dollar car! The only annoying sound I usually get is the higher revs with the CVT, but it's 95% of the time due to acceleration from a stop and only lasts a few seconds before all's quiet again.
*Bluetooth: works well. The first few times it would drop my smart phone and I had to remember how to reprogram it, but it's held firm now for over a year. The voice recognition used for making calls by name, I never use, as it's way too picky and difficult to deal with.
*On my 2.5i base model, there is an "MPG" indicator which fluctuates up and down based on how much gas I'm giving and the speed and resistance of the vehicle. This is annoying to me, as it's a constant distraction. However, in the couple years I've had it, it has grown on me and I use it as a reminder to ease off the gas when I can. If you don't pay attention, you can unnecessarily apply more gas with no end result, especially with the CVT and its rubber band effect. In fact, on a start, for example, the engine expectedly revs up and I then ease off a tad -- the revs decrease, but the car still accelerates.
*Headlights -- average. A distinct cut off at the top; this can be annoying to some. However, it's adequate and illuminates the road well.
*AWD -- need I say anything on this. It's great!
*Climate control is good and had good heat/cool distribution. My unit does not have individual/dual controls like other models might have. This is OK, as I usual drive alone.
*So far, NO reliability issues.

This car is great for hauling cargo in, has a modest tow capability, practical, roomy, and drives well. It's not perfect by any means; you have to pay for perfection, if you can get it. It's not a rocket ship. As I mentioned before, I'm in no hurry and the few times I really need to get past a slow moving car, or a merge onto a highway, or dealing with a semi-truck, the four banger does have the power, you just need to feed it the gas and put up with the high revs for a few seconds. Normally, I typically don't exceed 2700 rpm in normal driving.

***4/25/16 update on noise. I had to replace my four Continental ProContact tires that came with the vehicle; only 45000 miles. While they still had plenty of tread life overall, two of them had noticeably more wear. I got a tire pressure warning light; both fronts were 25 lbs! I inflated them and they kept the pressure. However, I asked the dealership on my next oil change to rotate and inspect them. One tire had a nail, a gash and a bulge in the sidewall. I decided to go with four new tires at a local tire shop and used Consumer Reports' recommendation of Michelin Defenders. Here's the update: my car I would estimate is about 25% quieter and less road noise!

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE; This car is a BIG LIE
By ej perryman

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have never owned a Subaru before. After this car I will never own a Subaru again. What a piece of crap this car is. The only good things about this car are the generous cargo space, the (so far) lack of repair bills and the resale value. That is it. Everything else BLOWS. The acceleration is abysmal. The braking is ridiculously soft and bad. The handling, well, there is no handling on this car and good luck taking it on road trips; you will spend 75% of the time fighting with the steering wheel to keep the car from wandering all over the road. Oh and don't even think about taking a corner fast with this car! The A/C is adequate, but god forbid you step on the gas, IT WILL STOP COOLING! The CVT transmission hesitates, is jerky and Subaru says that's perfectly normal! The sound system and entertainment screen is just an embarrassment. The backup camera of course is very LOW-RES. The MPG on the sticker is a BIG LIE; I have never gotten anything over 24 miles per gallon with this car. I won't even keep typing, as Subaru doesn't deserve for me to spend another second writing about this substandard vehicle. Make sure you test drive this vehicle many, many times before you buy it, and for the love of god do not even think about buying the 4 cylinder, unless you like to be blown off the interstate by trucks since your car will not be able to accelerate enough to merge. This car is for people who are not drivers. It's only good for hauling stuff in the snow. It gets two overall stars from me for that. That's about it.

Grinding noises and burns oil
By Breana

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm a huge fan of the Outback. After my 2011 was totaled I went straight to Subaru and bought the 2014. But I've had some pretty obnoxious issues, the first being it burns oil. Like other have mentioned my car burns a quart of oil every 2200 miles. Additionally, when keeping the car right around 30-40 miles slowly accelerating to keep the speed I notice a grinding noive coming from the front of the car. No one seems to be able to explain it to me which is pretty lame.