2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

So Far So Good
By ssphoto66

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My car is now one year old, this January. So far I've done about 15K miles with no drivability issues. My Pros: 1. Practical 2. Roomy 3. Well built 4. Ride height 5. CVT / MPG -- summer months as high as 30MPG! Winter average: 26. My Cons: 1. Base radio -- functional but not intuitive and poorly laid out. 2. Voice Recognition -- virtually useless / doesn't work well 3. Noise -- road noise can be prominent at times; 2015 is reportedly quieter. 4. Acceleration Gauge: annoying and useless. I'd much rather have an engine temp indicator. 5. Oil prices; the synthetic oil is more expensive than I expected, so an oil change at the Subie dealership can be twice what you expect.

Favorite Features

1. External roof cross beams - they swing out for use and fold back for non-use. 2. Blue Tooth phone 3. XM Radio 4. CVT

Suggested Improvements

Base radio; could be a lot better. Poor button labels and cryptic controls. XM Radio: "NAME/TITLE" display limited to only 10 characters -- most titles are well beyond that, so it cuts off. Voice recognition: pretty much un-usable. Way too finicky and frustrating to program names into.

Wonderful value!
By drj13

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I took a look at the Outback at the suggestion of a friend. I was lukewarm on buying since I was very happy with my CRV. Took the Outback for a test ride and liked it for a number of reasons. So I decided to make an offer to the salesperson along with what I wanted for my trade in. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back and said "okay". At that moment I changed from just looking to really buying.

Favorite Features

The lane departure feature is kind of a love / hate relationship but I think it's an important feature and highly recommend it. I also like the collision avoidance system and believe it has already saved me from at least one accident. Get the upgraded radio if you can afford it because it's fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

I believe Sabaru has done a superior job on the Outback and can't think of any suggestions for improvement.

Best car I had
By karlrad

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium 6 speed a year ago, now I have little over 13000 miles on it. I can say this is the best car I have owned and for the money we paid, you cannot get anything with all the equipment it has for such a price. Subaru’s AWD system was a sell point, since I do not want any FWD cars anymore: I am sick of replacing boots and front axles. This Outback is extremely spacious, comfortable, and reliable. It handles very well on any terrain, snow or rain, sand or pavement. The finish and quality of the car is very good, I may not have ash wood like a luxury car, nor do I have Napa leather, but I did not pay three times what I paid to get them.

Favorite Features

Comfort: the rear seat is extremely nice, it reclines and lots of knee room. Built quality: never a problem in a year. Space: large rear cargo space and humongous with rear seats folded. Then, it has a roof rack... Visibility: the best in any car. Performance: good acceleration, very good brakes, excellent steering and suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift could be much better.

Transmission and/or fuel delivery problem
By lillie12

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After shifting into drive, the transmission waits a beat (about 1 long second) and then shifts. When the car is in drive, the fuel delivery and/or timing surges periodically. Both make for a jerky drive. The gas pedal is VERY touchy. The gas pedal must be pressed very lightly at first, so as not to give passengers whiplash on start-up from a stop. For short drivers (5'-5'4") the headrest can be uncomfortable. Instead of a flat surface, it bulges out and tips forward, pushing the driver's head into a chin downward position. It is not tilt adjustable. Eyesight is helpful, however, it once stopped the car on a highway when the car in front moved left to make a left turn.

Favorite Features

Rides very smoothly on the road, with minimal road noise. High ground clearance (8+ inches) makes it easy to drive unpaved, potted roads. Eyesight is a help with cruise control, as it slows the Outback down if the car in front slows down, without the driver having to brake or exit cruise control mode.

Suggested Improvements

Front headrests need to be made to accommodate drivers of all heights, without forcing the head forward. Sun shades for driver and passenger are too small. Better gas mileage. Cup holders that accommodate greater variety/size/type of coffee cups (see Toyota Sienna).

Luxury Swiss Army Knife
By jg63

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Sold my BMW 330xi and got my new Outback 3.6R Limited. I've gone from the "ultimate driving machine" (which drove great, but didn't have a lot of room for people and stuff, didn't have a lot of ground clearance, and was getting very expensive to maintain) to the "ultimate do absolutely everything pretty well" machine. Tons of room for its exterior size. Plenty of power. Nice ride. Great value. Well built. Amenities are pretty good for this price point. While I miss a bit of how the old car drives when pushed hard on a curvy road, on all other points, I prefer the Subaru.

Favorite Features

Wagon utility. Hands-free system with Bluetooth audio streaming. Leather interior. Ground clearance. Interior room. Visibility. Power. Comfortable ride. Nice handling. Turning radius. Paddle shifters and the logic in the AT that works great for descending steep grades.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger brakes. This vehicle has substantial mass to stop. The brakes are fine and compare well to most vehicles, but better brakes would make the driving experience better. A sport mode for the AT where the shift points are more aggressive without having to manually shift the gears. Older pre-2009 Outbacks had this. Better mounting of the cargo area interior trim so the Harmon Kardon subwoofer doesn't make it rattle when you really have the bass up. Softer materials for the dash and door trim. At this price point they should be more plush. I'm afraid the electric parking brake will wear out eventually. Would prefer a manual one.