2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

So Far So Good
By ssphoto66

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My car is now one year old, this January. So far I've done about 15K miles with no drivability issues. My Pros: 1. Practical 2. Roomy 3. Well built 4. Ride height 5. CVT / MPG -- summer months as high as 30MPG! Winter average: 26. My Cons: 1. Base radio -- functional but not intuitive and poorly laid out. 2. Voice Recognition -- virtually useless / doesn't work well 3. Noise -- road noise can be prominent at times; 2015 is reportedly quieter. 4. Acceleration Gauge: annoying and useless. I'd much rather have an engine temp indicator. 5. Oil prices; the synthetic oil is more expensive than I expected, so an oil change at the Subie dealership can be twice what you expect.

Favorite Features

1. External roof cross beams - they swing out for use and fold back for non-use. 2. Blue Tooth phone 3. XM Radio 4. CVT

Suggested Improvements

Base radio; could be a lot better. Poor button labels and cryptic controls. XM Radio: "NAME/TITLE" display limited to only 10 characters -- most titles are well beyond that, so it cuts off. Voice recognition: pretty much un-usable. Way too finicky and frustrating to program names into.

My Third Subaru
By Dan Watson

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a '10 Forester when we moved to a ski resort. Loved it, but traded for an 'l1 Outback because I wanted a bigger vehicle. Loved that one too. After 3 years and 80,000 miles, traded it in on an identical '14 3.6 Outback. I prefer a traditional auto trans instead of a CTV, I got one of the last '14s. Love this one too. It has 16,000 miles with no problems. Gets 24 mpg with mixed driving. When I bought the Forester, I asked the salesman why Subaru doesn't advertise much (they do more now). He said that once someone becomes a Subaru owner, they tend to come back again. I guess I'm proof of that.

Favorite Features

Appearance is subjective, but I prefer this body style over the '15. The engine runs smooth and is well matched to the transmission. The car handles exceptionally well, both in snow and ice, and on dry roads. We put snow tires on during the winter and it goes anywhere so long as there's less than about 9 inches on the ground.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6'3" and wish there was more legroom. But, for a car this size, it's more than adequate.

Wonderful value!
By drj13

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I took a look at the Outback at the suggestion of a friend. I was lukewarm on buying since I was very happy with my CRV. Took the Outback for a test ride and liked it for a number of reasons. So I decided to make an offer to the salesperson along with what I wanted for my trade in. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back and said "okay". At that moment I changed from just looking to really buying.

Favorite Features

The lane departure feature is kind of a love / hate relationship but I think it's an important feature and highly recommend it. I also like the collision avoidance system and believe it has already saved me from at least one accident. Get the upgraded radio if you can afford it because it's fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

I believe Sabaru has done a superior job on the Outback and can't think of any suggestions for improvement.

2014 3.6R Limited
67 of 61,507 people found this review helpful
By sjg5

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving my 2014 6 cyl. Outback for 5 weeks now and have put almost 3000 miles on it. I cannot praise this little car enough. Glad my husband talked me into the 6 cylinder, It's getting 22 mpg around town ( suburban metro Washington DC ) and on our trip to South Carolina a whopping 31 mpg. It's so much more fun to drive than my 1999 Yukon, and almost as comfortable on a long trip. Love it! My 6'4" husband even has plenty of head and leg room!

Favorite Features

Back-up cam, fit & finish, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

None

A Vehicle That Fits
50 of 74,894 people found this review helpful
By lambanlaa1

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This vehicle fits my lifestyle right now. We sometimes take long trips, and the interior comfort of this vehicle is excellent. It is also handy for those occasional do-it-yourself projects that require a large hatch/trunk area. Mostly, though, the vehicle (car/wagon/baby SUV?) is fun to drive. I feel sorry when I have to turn the engine off. I especially enjoy the EyeSight features, including adaptive cruise control. This is my first Subaru and I hope to be able to gift the vehicle to my child at high school graduation in five years.

Favorite Features

Interior Room Exterior Styling EyeSight Adaptive Cruise Control Navigation System Harman Kardon Sound CVT, Boxer Engine, Chain

Suggested Improvements

Navigation Map Update Process Time to Get from 0 to 60 MPH Loud Engine