2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Better than the Rest
By lbf404 on 03/14/14 15:26 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Waited until I had my car a couple of months to post a review. Looked around at every midsize crossover, from BMW X1, X3, Infiniti, Acura, Honda, Toyota and Volvo for months to find something that met the needs of city driving and parking while also comfortable enough for a road trip. After 4 BMW's this was quite a change, I've been so impressed with my Outback! It does everything well, and the 3.6R has plenty of get up and go when needed. The Limited has all the creature comforts, excellent visibility and the car has that safe, solid feel to it in all kinds of driving conditions, including the rare snowstorm in Atlanta!

Perfect fit for me...
By skw0123 on 02/12/14 00:20 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have been shopping the compact midsize crossover segment forever and have driven a fair number of the contenders in test drives or rentals. I finally pulled the trigger on an Outback 2.5i Limited. The Outback may seem big, but it's very close to CR-V and RAV4 in size. It's an inch or two less tall and about 8 inches longer than cute-ute crossovers, with about 2 inches more in wheelbase. I think this gives the car a much more composed ride. Maneuverability is awesome. Subarus have character that many cars lack. The 2.5i 4-cyl boxer is very reasonable in terms of power delivery, but it isn't your garden-variety 4 cylinder...it's quite smooth in operation though, especially w/CVT.

2014 Subaru Outback Premium w/ Moonroof
By mdavis10 on 01/21/14 09:27 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On December 30, 2013, I purchased a new Subaru from Ciocca Subaru in Wescosville. In that short period of time, I have accumulated 2100 miles and have found the vehicle to be responsive and well-mannered in city and highway driving. The ride and handling for a vehicle of this size is excellent. Seats are firm and the cabin is relatively quiet. Interior materials seem to be of good quality. I appreciate the convenience of the winter package which incudes all-weather winter mats and a large rubber cargo mat w/ cargo net. As recommended, I check the oil every 400 miles and have no noticable consumption as the dipstick indicator still shows as full. Decent fuel mileage 23 city/30+ highway.

unique wagon
By zimboy on 12/14/13 16:34 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

i did lots of research looking for a car that combined practical space, versatile in all weather conditions, cross-over aspects, a sense of adventure but confidence....something different from the hundreds of dreary over-sized SUV's out there. always knew Subaru were renowned in the AWD adventure/sport category but was surprised by how versatile the Outback is.

surprised fan
By zimboy on 12/09/13 17:12 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

always liked the idea of an adventure vehicle like the Outback something fun and versatile. i had no idea how captivating it would be. perfect ride height, super-stable all wheel drive (almost invincible in the snow), adequate power, great space and rugged looks. my wife and i fight to drive it and may have to get another as second family car. we are outdoor fans and love the rook rails and easy level load bay and space.

Have snow, will travel
By slavik2014 on 12/05/13 10:29 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The winter has arrived along with half a foot of snow, ice, and -20 wind chills - a perfect time to see what my new (just a month old) Subaru is made of. Happy to report that it's more than up to the challenge. Drove it this AM through ice covered hills and it held its own nicely. Even at the intersections, where I used to sometimes slide around in my previous vehicle (Honda CRV), the Outback holds steady. And, it's fun to drive!

fast, powerful, fun and easy to control
By outbacker3 on 12/02/13 09:36 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have my 3.6R 6 weeks now, and love it. I sold my Sporty coup AUDI TT and Safari van when bought this one. so far I'm loving it! the combination of having sporty car like and be able to have so much room for passengers and cargo, make it my favorite car. I test drove so many other SUVs and crossovers when I came to the point that outback is the best choice for me. AUDI Q5 was closest option for performance and handling, but it had less cargo and passenger space and $18000 more money.

Great for families (my intended purpose)
By marbs34 on 12/01/13 22:24 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really like this car, I've been looking into it for the last couple of years. All of the merits fit what I've wanted it for. Lots of room, reasonable gas mileage, car-like handling, off-pavement ability... This car gets it done, after the first couple of weeks getting adjusted to sitting up higher than what i traded in, (2013 Buick Regal GS) I took it on a road trip 400 miles each direction and was very happy with it's comfort for the trip. The seats are great,supportive yet soft while not creating circulation hot spots over long periods, the driver lumbar support is actually very, very good as well.

Outback's maiden voyage to Baja
By bajapable on 11/30/13 09:17 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our 1998 Outback served us well so we went for the 2014. The test drive was a 3700 mi trip to southern Baja & back. It performed well, including on some pretty rough desert roads. It's not a luxury car, not a sports car, but so far it seems to be a solid mid-range car suited to a wide range of uses and conditions.

Happy to Join the Subaru Family
By cornpuff on 10/31/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Shopped around a lot, but was won over by the Outback's push-button park brake (wife has physical issues with pull-ups), its interior refinement, its reputation for reliability, its snow-handling prowess (BIG plus). Dealer couldn't have been happier to give a great trade in value and shave 2,500 off MSRP. It has SUV abilities, but drives like a car, and does not jiggle like a tall SUV. We are an empty nest couple in our 60s, who live on a farm in PA, and we need the perfect blend of on-road manners with the guts to get up and down a challenging driveway. It is a relief to find such a vehicle after fighting the SUV wars for decades. Should've done this years ago.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$110 per month*