Used 2014 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Grinding noises and burns oil
By Breana

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm a huge fan of the Outback. After my 2011 was totaled I went straight to Subaru and bought the 2014. But I've had some pretty obnoxious issues, the first being it burns oil. Like other have mentioned my car burns a quart of oil every 2200 miles. Additionally, when keeping the car right around 30-40 miles slowly accelerating to keep the speed I notice a grinding noive coming from the front of the car. No one seems to be able to explain it to me which is pretty lame.

Decent, but burning oil
By ckal

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded in our 2010 Mazda CX-9, as my wife didn't like how big it was and wanted to go back to an Outback, as we previously owned 2 others. Easy for her to drive, though not as nimble as the '05 or '07 we had previously. It's a bigger vehicle and you can tell. The CVT seems to rev higher than necessary and doesn't accelerate quickly. It does get better gas mileage than my earlier Outbacks, and the best I've seen is 28 mpg on the highway. Roof rack is easy to use, and still quiet even with a cargo box on top and a full bike rack on the rear. The vehicle is good in snow. My wife is having an issue connecting her iPhone to the Bluetooth. I'm not crazy about the high-def radio.

Roof rack is great, interior is nice, though well suited to all kinds of outdoor activities. Seating is roomy.

Hate the CVT, would prefer a 6 or 7 speed auto transmission, as it always seems to be revving too high. Vehicle is now burning a quart of oil about every 2000 miles, and there's only 21,000 miles on the vehicle we purchased new less than 2 years ago. Big disappointment on that front.

Subaru Needs To Own Up To the Brake Problem
By edofswfla

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

At 1000 miles I had a problem with the Brakes. Noise and spongy. 1809 into Dealer. "Subaru Tech Tip" "Master Cylinder...normal operating characteristics". At 12,000 my the Pedal finally ends up when depress resting on the Brake and the Gas Pedal at the same time requiring me to Stop The Car turning the key off. 12,116 back into the Dealer. This time I get the Service Advisor into the car. "Feels lower than normal" "Admission some Customers have complained". But, the end result was "Subaru Tech Tip" "Master Cylinder...normal operating characteristics". There is a problem in a limit number of vehicles and Corporate Subaru just will not deal with it. Out of Sight Out of Mind.

Excellent 26 city and 31 highway millage. Excellent resale value.

From day one the Dealer was never able to get my Cell Phone to connected to car. Digital speedometer and 21st century info center. I use a GPS only for the speed control.

Love the Outback
By carrie37

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased a 2014 Outback 2.5i Limited at Subaru of Plano in March 2015. My salesman, Darrell Hair, made buying a car enjoyable. I would definitely recommend Subaru of Plano.

The Outback is fun to drive and has great cargo space. So many great features; I love the lumbar support in the driver's seat, the heated seats are great on chilly days, the leather interior is beautiful, the sunroof is wonderful, roomy comfortable back seat and plenty of space for the dogs.

My Third Subaru
By Dan Watson

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a '10 Forester when we moved to a ski resort. Loved it, but traded for an 'l1 Outback because I wanted a bigger vehicle. Loved that one too. After 3 years and 80,000 miles, traded it in on an identical '14 3.6 Outback. I prefer a traditional auto trans instead of a CTV, I got one of the last '14s. Love this one too. It has 16,000 miles with no problems. Gets 24 mpg with mixed driving. When I bought the Forester, I asked the salesman why Subaru doesn't advertise much (they do more now). He said that once someone becomes a Subaru owner, they tend to come back again. I guess I'm proof of that.

Appearance is subjective, but I prefer this body style over the '15. The engine runs smooth and is well matched to the transmission. The car handles exceptionally well, both in snow and ice, and on dry roads. We put snow tires on during the winter and it goes anywhere so long as there's less than about 9 inches on the ground.

I'm 6'3" and wish there was more legroom. But, for a car this size, it's more than adequate.