2014 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
High Value Car
By r_k on 12/26/14 06:40 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Owned a Sienna XLE 2010 and wanted to move out of the big car league and looking for relatively smaller car which still gives SUV feel. We did try our hands on Forester as well but liked Outback better because of robust interior and better road grip. We drive it for pleasure/road trips and have put over 5K miles on it so far. The only complaint I have is, while going heavy on gas, it makes noise and seems like has trouble coping up, however give it 2-3 seconds and it's back to normal. I love the eyesight feature and whenever on highway with less traffic, I put it on cruise, leads to worry free driving. Love lane departure feature. My wife likes it better than Sienna. Love the green color.

So Far So Good
By ssphoto66 on 12/22/14 12:52 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My car is now one year old, this January. So far I've done about 15K miles with no drivability issues. My Pros: 1. Practical 2. Roomy 3. Well built 4. Ride height 5. CVT / MPG -- summer months as high as 30MPG! Winter average: 26. My Cons: 1. Base radio -- functional but not intuitive and poorly laid out. 2. Voice Recognition -- virtually useless / doesn't work well 3. Noise -- road noise can be prominent at times; 2015 is reportedly quieter. 4. Acceleration Gauge: annoying and useless. I'd much rather have an engine temp indicator. 5. Oil prices; the synthetic oil is more expensive than I expected, so an oil change at the Subie dealership can be twice what you expect.

Wonderful value!
By drj13 on 12/12/14 08:43 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I took a look at the Outback at the suggestion of a friend. I was lukewarm on buying since I was very happy with my CRV. Took the Outback for a test ride and liked it for a number of reasons. So I decided to make an offer to the salesperson along with what I wanted for my trade in. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back and said "okay". At that moment I changed from just looking to really buying.

Transmission and/or fuel delivery problem
By lillie12 on 08/29/14 08:56 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After shifting into drive, the transmission waits a beat (about 1 long second) and then shifts. When the car is in drive, the fuel delivery and/or timing surges periodically. Both make for a jerky drive. The gas pedal is VERY touchy. The gas pedal must be pressed very lightly at first, so as not to give passengers whiplash on start-up from a stop. For short drivers (5'-5'4") the headrest can be uncomfortable. Instead of a flat surface, it bulges out and tips forward, pushing the driver's head into a chin downward position. It is not tilt adjustable. Eyesight is helpful, however, it once stopped the car on a highway when the car in front moved left to make a left turn.

Luxury Swiss Army Knife
By jg63 on 06/11/14 20:49 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Sold my BMW 330xi and got my new Outback 3.6R Limited. I've gone from the "ultimate driving machine" (which drove great, but didn't have a lot of room for people and stuff, didn't have a lot of ground clearance, and was getting very expensive to maintain) to the "ultimate do absolutely everything pretty well" machine. Tons of room for its exterior size. Plenty of power. Nice ride. Great value. Well built. Amenities are pretty good for this price point. While I miss a bit of how the old car drives when pushed hard on a curvy road, on all other points, I prefer the Subaru.

Never expected to like it so much
By todrit on 06/09/14 08:59 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my subaru Outback fro two months and I honestly never thought I would like it so much. I went for it mainly for the value and comfort. it really is a fun car to drive and has great gas mileage. I never even concidered a Subaru, my wife talked me into looking at them. the only issue i have found is that the control for the radio are a bit hard to reach while your driving and the sound system is just OK.

Love this car
By jons2 on 04/09/14 08:44 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 04 Highlander for the Outback, primarily because I needed a small SUV type vehicle that would get better gas mileage, and be comfortable on trips etc. This Outback met all my expectations. The seats are very comfortable, gas mileage is better now that the engine is broken in and the Chicago weather is warming. I get about 27MPG in mixed suburban/highway driving with the 2.5 engine. I noticed that the mileage suffers when the engine is cold (runs richer) and can take some time to warm up on real cold days. Constant short trips will kill gas mileage, fyi. Engine has plenty of pep which was an initial concern and I was impressed on how quiet and refined it is.

Car for areas with snow
By lew716 on 03/31/14 15:12 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I know that this model will be replaced this summer with a newer version, but I love it and needed a replacement for my previous Outback. The car has plenty of room, comfortable seats, and handles snow and other bad weather with ease. I chose the Eyesight feature and found it excellent. The newer version should be even better. It has the capability of stopping accidents, and controls your cruise control to ensure that you are following the vehicle ahead of you at a safe distance even when they slow down. The car can carry most things a homeowner would want either on the roof rack, or in the back with the rear seats folding flat.

It's a winner
By autobahnburner on 03/18/14 07:32 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My first Subaru was a 2006 Outback 3.0R LL Bean model, and my second is the 2014 Outback Limited 2.5 with the CVT. They are nothing alike, and and I like each of them for different reasons, but they do have one thing in common. Both came out on top of after an exhaustive comparison of other brands. Frankly, I prefer the 06 because it was a much more engaging car to drive. However, the new model was more of a sensible purchase. It's significantly larger and more flexible, gets much better mileage, and has more bells and whistles. I heavily considered a Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, and also an Audi Q5 and Volvo XC70. I can afford the last two but it was hard to justify their prices.

Better than the Rest
By lbf404 on 03/14/14 15:26 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Waited until I had my car a couple of months to post a review. Looked around at every midsize crossover, from BMW X1, X3, Infiniti, Acura, Honda, Toyota and Volvo for months to find something that met the needs of city driving and parking while also comfortable enough for a road trip. After 4 BMW's this was quite a change, I've been so impressed with my Outback! It does everything well, and the 3.6R has plenty of get up and go when needed. The Limited has all the creature comforts, excellent visibility and the car has that safe, solid feel to it in all kinds of driving conditions, including the rare snowstorm in Atlanta!