2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Poor fuel economy

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Poor fuel economy
By postit1 on

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I would like this car very much were it not for the gas mileage. I would not recomend this car if fuel economy is at all important to you. I am a light footed driver who has always gotten near or even slightly above the rated mileage on vehicles owned. There are always a few drivers who will get poor mileage with any vehicle. Before buying I dismissed these at lead footed drivers. I should not have. Check around on the web and you will find poor mileage is a pretty common issue with the 2013 4 cyl. Outback. I am getting 22-23 mpg on 70-80% highway driving split between 50-60mph and 75 mph. Non highway driving is suburban areas. Am actively working to unload this vehicle.

Interior space, ground clearance, cargo space under floor, seat comfort

Did I mention the fuel economy is bad?
By markrt06
on 02/16/13 10:55 AM (PST)

Well your vehicle is not representitive of the Outback's I'm familiar with. 30-33mpg is attainable at 65-70 mph easily with the 2.5L boxer & in the 22-24 range in town. All day any day. Slow down & have you vehicle checked out at dealer.

By lnrgr
on 10/11/13 09:24 AM (PDT)

Do you have this vehicle markrt06? I do and I am gettiing less mileage than postit1. I drive at moderate speeds and can tell you that even though my high mieage '97 camery was not getting great mileage anymore it was quite a bit better than the outback. Sorry I sold it. You say to check it out at a dealer - I have and they deny any thing is wrong and suggest I use a different brand of gas. Whatever brand would not make up 10 miles per gallon.