Perfect for a family of four
By biglake7 on
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
My first OB, coming from a '04 Galant. I'm glad I did the research and waited to get the '13. We have two younger children, 10 and 7. I have 4000 mi. on it. We've taken a 1,000 mi. trip and several shorter ones ranging from 200-300 per trip. I'm looking forward to testing out the tried and true AWD in our midwest winters (WI). Cabin is spacious, especially backseats. While I'm not tall at 5'7", there is an incredible amount of legroom in the backseat. While I never test drove the '12, the re-tuned suspension in the '13 seems to be spot on. There's virtually no body roll in corners (i.e. on and off-ramps). I chose it for the re-tuned engine, MPG, re-tuned suspension, and AWD combination.
Favorite Features
I averaged 27.7 MPG prior to the long trip and about 28.5 after. The gas mileage gauge has helped me adjust my driving. Although, I am no led-foot by any means. Roughly a 75/25 city/hwy split. My Galant averaged 24. More MPG's with AWD puts a smile on my face. Interior space is great! It has more room than my wife's '10 Escape - both in seating and cargo area. Reclining back seats are a nice touch. Sight lines are amazing with minimal blind spots. The elevated seating position is nice. It balances good viewing without feeling that you will tip over due to a SUV's increased center of gravity. The seat height are also perfect for me as I do not have "climb in" or "sit down" to get in.
Suggested Improvements
While the bluetooth works fine on calls, voice commands are quite frustrating as it rarely recognizes commands. Speed-sensitive locks should be standard on ~$28,000 vehicle. Blue coolant light is annoying upon start-up. Should not have to push in the keys while turning to remove from ignition. Engine has rough idle and is somewhat "jerky" until warmed up. The rear cargo tray scuffs easily as does the silver trim near the glovebox. A compass should also be integrated into either the gauge cluster or the radio display. Rear seat vents should be available on all trim levels, not just the limited. I would prefer a straighter roofline towards the back. It seems like it wastes cargo space.
By wolfie8
on 09/29/12 11:39 AM (PDT)

Glad you like. If you look under the front seats there is hvac duct integrated into the floor.