Not as good as I had hoped for.
By sknaffl4 on
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
This Outback is my first Subaru, and sadly, it will probably be my last. I had high expectations for this car considering the excellent reviews from prior models, but now that I've got 40,000 miles on it, I'm not impressed. It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles, which Subaru says is normal. There is a constant vibration at hwy speeds that is NOT tire related. There are large gaps in the body panels, and the hatch doesn't even line up...indicating poor build quality. The seat is already starting to deform, and I'm not a big person. There is a constant rattle on deceleration, and the stock stereo speakers are probably the worst I've ever seen.
Favorite Features
AWD system is very good, I live in the mountains, so that was the primary reason for purchasing a Subaru. The maintenance on the car is very easy for the DIY minded person.
Suggested Improvements
Subaru North America has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. I've called in about the oil consumption issue, yet they refuse to do anything about it saying that's the way the engineers designed it...which in my opinion is an insult to anybody who knows anything about cars. A simple Google search will net you dozens of reports of an oil consumption issue on Subaru's FB25 engine. Subaru needs to fess up to this MAJOR issue and get a fix in place. I know Subaru has grown a lot in the last few years, but it may be time to take a step back and start focusing on their build quality and customer service...which is what put them on the map to begin with.