My first Subaru - 900 mile review
By wolfie8 on
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I like the uniqueness of this car, I'm glad they priced it sensibly. It is really good value considering the capabilities and quality you get. I like the elevated stance & feel it gives you when driving. Love the ground clearance. The clean look from underneath with nothing hanging down. 1st tank all city was 24.7mpg. 2nd tank mostly highway@80mph w/4 adults 25.9 mpg -both hand calculated. The CVT is awesome. I drive manuals too but this is a great transmission. Keeps rpm's low in most situations and offers good thrust. This car is a pleasure to drive. Quiet. Solid. I am a fairly critical car person and do my research.
Favorite Features
I like the plastic rocker panels. Winter Package useful. The backlit dashboard in red is neat. 2.5 liter power is impressive. Cruises 80mph no problem w/4 adults. Ride is firm and solid feeling. Leather steering wheel soft compared to GM vehicles I've had. Doors open & shut effortlessly. Like the winter floor mats. Oil filter looks convenient but hope oil isn't draining out each time the car sits off. Also I would think the integrated bowl would get road grit in it and wonder if filter changes will be messy.
Suggested Improvements
Speed sensitive locks. Dome light override button. Enhance side mirror field of vision (I may put on stick on convex mirror). At 80 mph indicated speed is 1-2mph faster than my Garmin. Doors could maybe use more stay open friction in the 1/2-full open position. Seat thigh comfort is my biggest concern. Cloth seats very firm which I like. But at 6' tall my thighs feel a little side bolster pressure. Either maybe extend seat or flare the sides more. Maybe more use will will break them in.
By wolfie8
on 10/20/12 18:44 PM (PDT)

Thnx jetpilot. Up to 2500 miles. After buying an assortment of blindspot mirrors I decided 2" round was best in lower corners as you said. Could also use a rubber key chain bump pad on steering column. Only 6 weeks until snow usually arrives here in Iowa.

By jetpilot767
on 10/06/12 12:24 PM (PDT)

wolfie8, congrats on your purchase. I put glue-on 2" wide angle mirrors on the bottom of my outside mirrors. Problem solved. I hope you are as happy as I am with the Subie. I find, like a fungus, it just keeps growing on you. Good luck and happy miles!

By wolfie8
on 09/26/12 16:28 PM (PDT)

Also... headlights are fantastic. Like the ability to paddle down shift CVT to enhance engine braking in normal drive mode when needed then automatically goes back to Drive. Engine a little noisy/rattle sounding at initial startup.