Killer Value
By ljnymd on
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
There are a few key changes for the OB in 2013 that were important, so I was willing to wait for that model. These include the Eyesight safety system, the strengthened chassis, and the improved 4 cylinder engine. These were worth waiting for, as this car now offers killer value in terms of a package that is off road capable, very quiet, good gas mileage, and really comfortable.
Favorite Features
The eyesight is great, and allows you to follow other cars in traffic at a distance that is comfortable to you. The braking and accelerating under this system is smooth, and it makes driving easier as well as safer. You can tell this is not version 1.0 as many of the features are well thought through in terms of the switches, settings, etc. The 4 cylinder with CVT is also very good in that the CVT always finds the right 'gear' for whatever level of acceleration you need. The improved torque of the engine is important as this allows the engine to function at a lower RPM in the key range that is often used for acceleration in normal situations, making the engine more efficient and quiet.
Suggested Improvements
I am not sold on the navigation system. It seems to give the instructions at a slightly later time than is helpful, and takes more input than other systems I have used. It also blanks out when the car is moving, so even the passenger cannot operate all functions. All the displays and functions are there, they are just not put together in a way that is as intuitive as some other systems I have used.
By highwaystar3
on 10/02/12 20:41 PM (PDT)

I have had the 2013 outbact LTD. no nav/with moon roof for 800 miles now. I recently have had the 2010 Arcura RDX and Toyota Rav4. The RDX was great but a little jerky and not great on gas (4 cyl turbo). The 2013 RDx was way too pricey. I just traded a new Rav 4 (2012) for the Subaru. I couldn't be happier. I think the drive quality and lack of roll on the Outback equals the RDX and the Rav 4 is like a toy car compared. i think for the $ you cant go wrong. The interior is not cheap looking or feeling. The HK stereo sounds great (and I'm a metal head). The MPG is good and with teens I do a lot of driving. I also feel much more secure having them drive and be driven in the Subaru than the RDX or Toyota. I have driven Suburbans, a couple of 4 runners and a Nissan Pathfinder. So far, I would buy this car again and for my sons!