2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Good car, except for MPG

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Good car, except for MPG
By bigstig on

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are Subaru people. I've owned 5 in the past decade. While we are basically happy with our 2013 Outback, we don't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Our 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT replaced a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT. We traded in the 2010 for the nicer interior, better color, and "bonus" 1mpg. While we love the Limited's features, after 18k miles the MPG falls well short of the EPA estimates. With the 2010, we got 75k miles worth of 30-31mpg 70mph commuting. That's 1-2 mpg better than the sticker. With the 2013, we struggle to get 26mpg. Dealer says car is normal. Had I known this, we would have bought a 3.6R and gotten more power and avoided the dreary droney CVT.

It's a Subaru. AWD, easy to drive, comfortable, reliable, surprising off-road capabilities. Great cargo capacity.

Fix MPG discrepancy. CVT continues to offer all the driving excitement of a bowl of overlooked pasta. Really wish they'd go to a 6/7 speed traditional automatic.
By bigles985
on 05/09/13 20:15 PM (PDT)

I've had my outback for a coupe months and put 7k miles on it already. I'm currently averaging 29.X miles on mostly highway driving. Not sure how many miles you put on yours yet or if you drive mostly city. I wish I would get 30-31 but seems like I would need to stay around 65 mph to make that happen. Good luck with yours.