Used 2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

My new baby
By blu3

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the car its my 2nd one!

Good car, except for MPG
By bigstig

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are Subaru people. I've owned 5 in the past decade. While we are basically happy with our 2013 Outback, we don't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Our 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT replaced a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT. We traded in the 2010 for the nicer interior, better color, and "bonus" 1mpg. While we love the Limited's features, after 18k miles the MPG falls well short of the EPA estimates. With the 2010, we got 75k miles worth of 30-31mpg 70mph commuting. That's 1-2 mpg better than the sticker. With the 2013, we struggle to get 26mpg. Dealer says car is normal. Had I known this, we would have bought a 3.6R and gotten more power and avoided the dreary droney CVT.

Favorite Features

It's a Subaru. AWD, easy to drive, comfortable, reliable, surprising off-road capabilities. Great cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Fix MPG discrepancy. CVT continues to offer all the driving excitement of a bowl of overlooked pasta. Really wish they'd go to a 6/7 speed traditional automatic.

5K miles so far
By cdaoust

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Issues Mileage! Don't know how they got a 27/30 EPA rating but I give it 24/27 - upsetting. I read they toyed with tranny to get more oomph on 2013 perhaps resulting in mileage loss. Engine same but EPA would have to retest right? Yes am lead foot but have noticed that even in slower traffic I only get a little over 27 at best. Tranny noisy! listen while test drive - if it doesn't bother you then it won't later. Worst when engine cold. Steering bit odd coming from mazda 6 - I wandered all over lane at first (you can find many reports on net of this) but now its OK/better. Pros Suspension/drive very good on road, AWD, Comfortable/Spacious interior, Bluetooth, Roof rack

Favorite Features

- great drive/handling - Bluetooth great - calls and streaming. Sound of pandora over BT is great! - speed compensating radio settings! - love integrated rack (though with new box was getting wind noise perhaps just needing position adjustment) - SPACE! lots of room in back for my teenagers and back seat reclines some for long trips

Suggested Improvements

Mileage! For me the space the car gives me is worth the loss of mileage and I may have bought this car anyway but when comparing I would think of this as a 24/27 rated car at best for average drivers. Transmission noise.

Not totally up to hype.
By car_trader

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had my Outback for 3 days now and really nice to drive, well laid out on the interior, handles fantastic on wet roads. Now, for the take to heart before you buy issues. Steering not as tight as it should be, mushy brakes, noisy tranny, seriously over rated gas milage, and extremely fussy blue tooth. I bought this with my wife in mind as she loves Subaru. Had I to do it all over again, would have bought the Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo, now thats a car! If you are considering the Outback, test drive it twice, even three times before you commit. Make sure it is exactly what you are looking for.

Favorite Features

Interior room, wet weather handling, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Rate the gas milage accurately, too many models don't live up to anywhere near their inflated claims. Tighten up the steering and brakes, better blu tooth program, too many steps to phone out.

New owner
By tblvr0885

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Only 750 miles. So far, everything I expected. Love the white with corresponding black, headlight design, and overall look. Interior design and layout very good. Wish list: auto headlight delay when shutting off; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options; lift gate window open separate from lift gate. Knew these weren't there before purchase, but would be good features/options for future. Voice command navigation hard to use.

Favorite Features

CVT trans; center stack; mileage; seats; overall look.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight delay on auto; lifts ate window opens separate from lift gate; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options from "special Appearence pkg.