Used 2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Going from full size truck to outback = Good
By bigdavenh

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am a student that has to travel 425 miles round trip per week from home to school.
I previously had a full size pick up truck and I can not be happier with the switch to the Subaru.
I live in Northern NH and the outback is great in the snow/ice and handles well on the highway.
I have been averaging 25-27mpg highway but I suspect it mostly has to do with the terrain.
I am 6'3" and am not skinny by any means.
17,000 miles in 5 months and have been very happy so far

Heated cloth seats, CVT makes the transmission shifts almost unnoticeable unless going up hill, tan interior is nice (hate black).

Bluetooth system work but will not sync with my iPhone 5 automatically no matter what i try, cup holders are very close together and are small which makes putting large drink in them a pain, tires that came on the car stock might be called all season but are not good for snow, more 12v outlets would be nice, and a better warranty because I will go through my warranty in under 12 months due to mileage.

Good except for black interior and NAV system
By cmlsudbury

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Good to very good (but not great) overall, EXCEPT 1) the choices of interior (light and dark both show every single mark, especially along door where the low entry angle guarantees that your toes will mark the lower door panel and clog the speaker holes), 2) the heating/AC controls, which use difficult to find (while driving) push buttons instead of an easy-to-find and turn rotary dial, 3) the AUDIO/NAV setups (which are easily the least-intuitive and most frustrating interfaces I have ever used in my life), and 4) many actions (e.g., parking brake, windows) are the reverse of other vehicles I have owned (and own).

Not as good as I had hoped for.
By sknaffl4

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This Outback is my first Subaru, and sadly, it will probably be my last.
I had high expectations for this car considering the excellent reviews from prior models, but now that I've got 40,000 miles on it, I'm not impressed.
It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles, which Subaru says is normal.
There is a constant vibration at hwy speeds that is NOT tire related. There are large gaps in the body panels, and the hatch doesn't even line up...indicating poor build quality.
The seat is already starting to deform, and I'm not a big person. There is a constant rattle on deceleration, and the stock stereo speakers are probably the worst I've ever seen.

AWD system is very good, I live in the mountains, so that was the primary reason for purchasing a Subaru. The maintenance on the car is very easy for the DIY minded person.

Subaru North America has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. I've called in about the oil consumption issue, yet they refuse to do anything about it saying that's the way the engineers designed it...which in my opinion is an insult to anybody who knows anything about cars. A simple Google search will net you dozens of reports of an oil consumption issue on Subaru's FB25 engine. Subaru needs to fess up to this MAJOR issue and get a fix in place. I know Subaru has grown a lot in the last few years, but it may be time to take a step back and start focusing on their build quality and customer service...which is what put them on the map to begin with.

Good Basic Transportation after 20k miles just OK
By electricvette

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I tell every one I do not like it for the following reasons. 1. The front seat will not go full horizontal so my wife has two towels in the back. 2. road noise is terrible. 3. heavy steering... its like they put the smallest freek'n power steering pump in to get better gas mileage and you have to work the wheel on trips. 4. radio knobs are not log enough. 5 poor ride comfort. MY GMC Denali rides soooo much better than this. 6. seat comfort is poor. Will not be a repeat customer. Looking for something quieter on my next car.

I have to admit it's a beast in the snow.

fix the front seats. fix the steering so I'm not sore after a long trip. should be a pleasure to drive not a chore.

Great car for the Money
By cdose

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Recently got this car in July 2013. I wasn't thinking of spending the money for a new car but somehow I found one on the lot for 4k off sticker and went for it.

It was a great choice, the car is incredible sturdy, useful, easy to drive, it came with a manual which was important to me. The backseats are much more comfortable than any SUV I have been in, lots of space in the back too.
First snow of the season hits and I could not be more pleased with how the car handles. The only thing you have to worry about is the cars around you, this thing is just phenomenal in the snow, especially with a manual transmission.

Manual Transmission, AWD In the snow you have to be seriously trying to lose traction with this thing. You feel incredible secure driving this thing, Great seating position, great viability.

Engine and transmission. While I love that you can get a manual with it, its obvious they spent more time refining the CVT. The gears are incredible close together which leads to a painfully short 6th gear. 3000 RPM before 70 MPH is really annoying, which also is a cause of my next point. Gas Mileage. This thing is a 2.5 4 cylinder. While it does okay if you nurse it and go under 70 MPH, anything above and your mileage drops fast. At 75 MPH I see 26 MPG, while at 70 I see 30. Really steep drop off is annoying. Engine is reliable, and gets the job done, but you can tell its an old design. A little more power would be nice, and I think would almost help with mileage,