2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
John of Columbus, NC loves his Outback Limited
By jaacolumbusnc on 09/29/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On 8/23/2012 I traded in my 2012 Honda CR-V EXL for an Ice Silver Outback 2.5i Limited with Option Package 04, body ice molding, puddle lights and splash guards. It is far more quiet and comfortable then the Honda. It rides like a sedan and is terrific on fuel. I am honestly getting 25-26 mpg around town and close to 29 on my limited highway driving. My dealer, Vic Bailey Imports, Spartanburg, SC was a real treat to deal with.

Perfect for a family of four
By biglake7 on 09/28/12 02:15 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My first OB, coming from a '04 Galant. I'm glad I did the research and waited to get the '13. We have two younger children, 10 and 7. I have 4000 mi. on it. We've taken a 1,000 mi. trip and several shorter ones ranging from 200-300 per trip. I'm looking forward to testing out the tried and true AWD in our midwest winters (WI). Cabin is spacious, especially backseats. While I'm not tall at 5'7", there is an incredible amount of legroom in the backseat. While I never test drove the '12, the re-tuned suspension in the '13 seems to be spot on. There's virtually no body roll in corners (i.e. on and off-ramps). I chose it for the re-tuned engine, MPG, re-tuned suspension, and AWD combination.

My first Subaru - 900 mile review
By wolfie8 on 09/25/12 12:43 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I like the uniqueness of this car, I'm glad they priced it sensibly. It is really good value considering the capabilities and quality you get. I like the elevated stance & feel it gives you when driving. Love the ground clearance. The clean look from underneath with nothing hanging down. 1st tank all city was 24.7mpg. 2nd tank mostly highway@80mph w/4 adults 25.9 mpg -both hand calculated. The CVT is awesome. I drive manuals too but this is a great transmission. Keeps rpm's low in most situations and offers good thrust. This car is a pleasure to drive. Quiet. Solid. I am a fairly critical car person and do my research.

Great for western mountains driving
By combattracker5 on 09/16/12 01:48 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We had a 2012 with 13000 miles and loved it but wanted leather and a better stereo so got the 2013. Several friends have new and old Subarus and they seem to have exceptionally good build quality and long-term endurance. The newer/bigger/taller models (2011-2013) are very quiet, roomy and comfy. I liked the looks of the 2012 front end better as it was dressier, but the 2013 is more sporty looking. This wagon is surefooted on Pacific Mountain highways where we drive. The suspension/steering "fix" made the 2013 handle more like a SUV. The 2012 had a feeling more like an Avalon on the road.

Great car, and I'm spoiled
By msurles1 on 09/12/12 14:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My last 3 cars have been Lexus sedans, so I'm spoiled. But when it came time for a new car, I wanted more sane payments, and a car more suited to my new home where we get some snow and ice in the winter. I have to say I am thoroughly satisfied with my new 2013 Outback Limited. It's adequately comfortable, smooth, quiet, and solid, and has enough amenities so that I don't miss my Lexus (OK, I do, but not the payments or poor performance in snow). I got the 4, but get the 6 cylinder if you want the full luxury SUV feel.

Love Our 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
By sus77 on 09/10/12 13:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded in our 2007 Ford Expedition for a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited with Moonroof. We are so glad we did! We have about 1000 miles on the car and its been a blast to drive. The car handles well and the 2nd generation CVT is very smooth. Our gas mileage has ranged between 26 and 29 MPG in 50/50 mixed driving. The new front end and grille makes the 2013 Outback stand out. The interior is spacious and seems to be made of material in high quality. The harmon karmen sound system is great as well. This is our third Subaru and it won't be our last!

Impressive Machine
By jetpilot767 on 08/28/12 16:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2013 Outback 3.6 Limited last month. Since then I have traveled from Georgia to New Hampshire to Michigan and Illinois visiting family and friends. All told, I put 3400 miles on the car very quickly. I had been looking at the Outback for several years since my 2002 BMW X-5 was getting a bit long of tooth. I am glad I did because just about all the complaints from other reviewers of the 2010- 2012 models have been resolved. The more I drive this car, the more I enjoy it. And it will go places that other crossovers only dream about.

Car is great - DO NOT PURCHASE WITH NAVIGATION
By sailingfool on 08/28/12 11:21 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love my Subaru's - this is my third. When it came time for a new car I did not hesitate and bought another Outback. Based on experiences with my wife's and friends' cars, I sprung for the integrated nav after having played with one in the dealership and finding it OK. BIG MISTAKE! The 2013 Outback nav system is very different from the 2012, and severely lacking in user interface and usability. First, you can only enter addresses when stopped (a reasonable safety feature), however even when there is a passenger present and operating the nav (the car could know this as it detects front passengers for airbag activiation) it is not very usable.

First car!
By lynncy on 08/21/12 15:43 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As this was my first car and I'm a highly practical person who wants to make sure I make the absolute best decision for me, I drove, drumroll please... 30 cars. I even drove the 2012 and 2013 outbacks back to back to see if I could notice significant differences in the way it drove. I did. Much less body roll and more pep with slightly better gas mileage did me in. So far I've driven 1500 miles, mostly city. City, I've been averaging 23 MPG and on the highway I did about 28 with two large adults and all our junk for a vacation. I haven't done much off-roading, but I can tell this car would handle it no problemo.

Killer Value
By ljnymd on 07/21/12 06:06 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

There are a few key changes for the OB in 2013 that were important, so I was willing to wait for that model. These include the Eyesight safety system, the strengthened chassis, and the improved 4 cylinder engine. These were worth waiting for, as this car now offers killer value in terms of a package that is off road capable, very quiet, good gas mileage, and really comfortable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$132 per month*