2013 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews 5

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great car for tall people
By lala09 on 12/05/12 07:30 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the first Subaru I've ever purchased. My husband is 6'7" and when we saw the legroom of 43" we did not believe it would ever work;however he has plenty of leg room and head room (more than Tahoe, Yukon, Sequoia, etc) with way better gas mileage. The gas mileage is right on target of 24.6 mpg with all mountain driving (very curvy with lots of hills). The 4 cylinder is plenty enough power. We also live on a very steep dirt road and does very well. Have not gotten any snow yet, so not sure how will handle. Very impressed with features in "base model". 2nd row passengers (2- 3 year olds) have plenty room and love the cup holder between them.

Disappointing
By 13outback on 11/28/12 19:40 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

4000 miles on new 2013 limited model. First new car purchase I've disliked. I bought largely based on positive reviews but car has been disappointing. 1. 2.5 engine is inadequate. Granted we live around some hills but this car feels that it is actively protesting every time it goes up hill. 2. Fuel mileage is nowhere near EPA estimates. 3. Auto climate control works poorly 4. Build quality issues. For example there's a nut lock fluid that's obviously been used that is all over the alloy wheels. 5. Cheap materials. Seat leather is very cheap and at 4000 miles is already puckering. I'd look really hard before buying one of these. It's not the quality of a $30K car.

MPG not as advertised
By qphenic on 11/25/12 22:43 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Outback 2.5i Limited rides and handles fine. Overall utility of the car is good. And the interior satisfies in most respects, including nav and sound. But the car often feels as if it is fighting headwinds, even on gradual descents. I attribute this to the CVT, or perhaps a lack of power. There is also a noticeable vibration which travels up the seatback at idle. But the biggest disappointment by far: I am averaging 21-22 MPG with this car (60/40 city/hwy, non-aggressive driver). EPA combined is listed at 26, so I am not happy.

Competent and fun utility vehicle
By restless4 on 11/24/12 06:39 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought a silver Limited 3 months/3500 miles ago. In general it is a very competent vehicle, extremely spacious for the overall dimensions of the vehicle. Initial reliability has been perfect. 2013 included a change to the suspension, which has made this car handle well, and fun to drive on country road. Two downsides to this car. First is that it does have an economy car feel, even as the high end Limited model. Switchgear, plastics used, and such are cheap for a $30K car, and there are some sloppy manufacturing shortcuts that are easily noticeable. Second is that the 2013 model has a new drivetrain that's supposed to get better mpg, but it seems to have dropped from the 2012s.

Love my Subaru!
By cargirl38 on 11/18/12 18:24 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Got a bug one day and decided to buy an Outback! Picked it up yesterday and am absolutely loving it! Traded in my Mazda CX 7 for better gas mileage, regular 87 octane and Standard AWD. A really practical, rugged, comfortable car. I really cannot say enough good thing and am totally happy with my choice!

Almost perfect
By benthedog on 11/06/12 05:09 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Got a 2013 3.6 with the special appearance package. Car is a joy to drive with plenty of pwr and torque combined with the paddle shifters. This is my first Subaru and I am impressed with the fit and finish. The interior space is more than adequate for my wife and me. The car is easy to get into and out of. The car seems incredibly solid.

2013 Outback Adds Bells and Whistles
By bepete on 11/03/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The Subaru Outback has always been on my watch list because of its high reliability / resale value coupled with proven AWD performance. When Motor Trend awarded its SUV of the Year Award to the redesigned and larger 2010 Outback, I took a closer look but felt the vehicle lacked tech and comfort features that were commonplace in the new vehicle market. The top of the line 2013 Subaru Outback has changed all that, and was worth the wait. The Outback Limited (especially with the Special Appearance Package) was a clear choice for me relative to the awkward looking (Honda CrossTour, Toyota Venza) and the pricey (Acura RDX, Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland). The 3.6R has been a blast to drive.

Great Expectations Met
By daleln on 10/28/12 08:57 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After purchasing a 2000 Subaru Legacy/Outback to be used as a kid's car, the wife and I were amazed at how well the Legacy had held up for the past 12 years. Aside from some wear and tear, it was a better car than our 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser and 2008 Ford Edge SEL. That got the ball rolling into researching and ultimately replacing the aforementioned vehicles with a new 2013 Subaru Outback. We've owned the car now for a little over two weeks and about 700 miles of driving. The Outback looks great and with Subaru's AWD feels competant and safe. Fuel economy thus far has been a rock solid 24.3 mpg in city driving. The car is exceptionally quiet and road noise is dampened to a whisper.

Practical
By cncmachinist on 10/14/12 08:31 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I looked at cars for over a year and the Outback was the only vehicle that met all of my criteria. I test drove my 2013 and wanted to purchase it right away. I was aware that Subaru changed the engine and added a timing chain instead of a timing belt but, didnt know that the CVT was also revised. Reading old reviews I can tell you that the 2013 is "torquier" and responsive when you take off from a dead stop. Also I am averaging 28.5 MPG combined highway/city. Over 32 MPG on long trips. I have 3500 miles on the car already. The navigation IS a bit clumsy as I have seen other people comment on BUT, it is very accurate and believe me I am no Louis or, Clark :).

John of Columbus, NC loves his Outback Limited
By jaacolumbusnc on 09/29/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On 8/23/2012 I traded in my 2012 Honda CR-V EXL for an Ice Silver Outback 2.5i Limited with Option Package 04, body ice molding, puddle lights and splash guards. It is far more quiet and comfortable then the Honda. It rides like a sedan and is terrific on fuel. I am honestly getting 25-26 mpg around town and close to 29 on my limited highway driving. My dealer, Vic Bailey Imports, Spartanburg, SC was a real treat to deal with.