Used 2013 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Mechanical Masterpiece
By phomat

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Swapped my 1991 Acura NSX for this--wife wanted an SUV and I wanted a junk hauler. Have always admired Subaru for being unique, but poor gas mileage in the past kept me out of them. They've apparently solved the issue recently. We're getting better than EPA estimates, which is quite good for this size vehicle. The Outback has grown a lot since being a station wagon Legacy. It's now a full-fledged SUV, although, unlike most SUV's, it is sporty and utilitarian. Handles much better than expected (despite reviews I've read). Corners flat unless driven excessively hard. CVT is really quite good providing you adapt your driving to the way it works.

Favorite Features

Great stereo Solid construction Comfortable seats Good handling Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better tires Bigger screen for back-up camera More adjustments on passenger seat

Met my Expectations!
By ohiotraveler

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife has a 2010 Legacy and has 84,000 miles on it and she can get over 30 MPG, easily. I have 4500 miles on my 2013 Outback and I easily get 29 MPG, sometimes over 30. As far as the mileage concerns I feel it is the way a person drives. The car is not meant for spirited driving. If you want that, buy something else. It drives tight and very predictable, although the gas pedal is a little touchy when accelerating from a stop. The ride quality is very good, a little firm but I wanted that over a soft ride. I did buy the limited for the Harmon/Karmon radio because the base radio really sucks as far as sound quality. I'm 6'3" and the little added height to the Outback makes it easy to exit.

Favorite Features

I like the ground clearance and the added height makes getting in and out of the car very easy. I traded in a 2005 Murano and went from 21 MPG to over 29MPG. That's over a 35% increase in mileage. I like the visibility, the blind spots are minimal. The steering is tight with very little play. The suspension is firm but not unduly harsh. The brakes are very predictable and sure. Turning radius is short compared to my 2005 Murano. The storage area in back is well laid out.

Suggested Improvements

Not much complain about. The hatch is a little hard to close with only one hand. It has strong mechanism to hold the hatch up. The privacy cover on the storage area rattles somewhat in driving on rough roads. It took in while to figure that out, but it stores completely out of sight in the storage for the spare tire, very nice.

After a month...
By waskallywabbit

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Like several others...I'm a little disappointed in the mileage. My new Outback gets about 26 on my daily 27 mile (each way) commute. While that matches the "overall" mileage rating...I was hoping for better. My last vehicle, a Jeep Patriot, actually got it's rated 27 mpg on that same commute. But the Outback is certainly more comfortable to drive. The steering takes a little getting used to...but only because it's very tight and responsive. Before buying, I test drove everything in its class and it's only real competition was the Forrester.

Favorite Features

Comfort of ride is great for the minimum 10 hours per week I spend behind the wheel. Ride is quiet and smooth. Interior layout is also great. Controls are easily accessible and intelligently laid out. Aside from a small blind spot, visibility is good.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the competition models had a "sport"/"cruise" mode for the steering, which would be nice for long freeway trips where the sporty handling can become high maintenance. Like most other cars, the heated seat controls are located on the top of the center console which makes them easy to accidentally turn on/off. The automatic dimming rear mirror is great. How about offering that for the side mirrors as well? Although I like the storage shelf top center of the dash...setting stuff there blocks the view of the clock, etc.

My new baby
By blu3

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the car its my 2nd one!

Good car, except for MPG
By bigstig

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are Subaru people. I've owned 5 in the past decade. While we are basically happy with our 2013 Outback, we don't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Our 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT replaced a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT. We traded in the 2010 for the nicer interior, better color, and "bonus" 1mpg. While we love the Limited's features, after 18k miles the MPG falls well short of the EPA estimates. With the 2010, we got 75k miles worth of 30-31mpg 70mph commuting. That's 1-2 mpg better than the sticker. With the 2013, we struggle to get 26mpg. Dealer says car is normal. Had I known this, we would have bought a 3.6R and gotten more power and avoided the dreary droney CVT.

Favorite Features

It's a Subaru. AWD, easy to drive, comfortable, reliable, surprising off-road capabilities. Great cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Fix MPG discrepancy. CVT continues to offer all the driving excitement of a bowl of overlooked pasta. Really wish they'd go to a 6/7 speed traditional automatic.