2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

First Subie Love
By joepawlicki

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've had our 2013 Outback since the Winter and its been awesome. The suspension was definitely stiffened up this year which can make poor road conditions more noticeable but high speed and back road handling is spot on. Our latest road trip was 400 miles to NH and we averaged 33.6 MPG with 3 people, cargo and lots of mountain roads. We've hit a few off road trails and the car has tackled mud and dips with ease. The interior is quiet, spacious and the harmon kardon audio is very good. No issues to date!

Favorite Features

MPG, ride/handling(feels planted and controlled), smoothness of powertrain, off road capabilities, interior space/comfort and high speed quietness, harmon kardon audio quality, backup camera, heated seats. Top notch safety scores- only Subaru seems to be nailing the new IIHS offset crash test. The Outback gets a top Safety Pick + award.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior fit and finish items could use work. There's some untidy panel gaps on the A pillar covers and the dash board is all hard plastic. There are two grocery hooks in the back cargo area but they are made of thin plastic.

Excellent car with minor quirks
By ssubiedoobie

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great car traded in my sport car, BMW which was in the shop frequently. Having said that I am done with "German" Engineering. I got the Outback for obvious outdoor activities as well as daily driver. The car handles well around sharp curves, their are to minor quirks with the car. 1) audio system to blue tooth, sometimes fades in and out. 2) Ignition keys, this I find more annoying I have not had ignition keys on a car for over 6 yrs but if you can go "retro" then it should not bother you. Overall great car, fun to drive. Impressive off road not only for its handling but the fact that it handles those bumps flawlessly. Works well on potholes also.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, lots of leg room. Easy to use roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

Audio Get rid of ignition keys, go with the push button start.

Mechanical Masterpiece
By phomat

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Swapped my 1991 Acura NSX for this--wife wanted an SUV and I wanted a junk hauler. Have always admired Subaru for being unique, but poor gas mileage in the past kept me out of them. They've apparently solved the issue recently. We're getting better than EPA estimates, which is quite good for this size vehicle. The Outback has grown a lot since being a station wagon Legacy. It's now a full-fledged SUV, although, unlike most SUV's, it is sporty and utilitarian. Handles much better than expected (despite reviews I've read). Corners flat unless driven excessively hard. CVT is really quite good providing you adapt your driving to the way it works.

Favorite Features

Great stereo Solid construction Comfortable seats Good handling Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better tires Bigger screen for back-up camera More adjustments on passenger seat

Met my Expectations!
By ohiotraveler

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife has a 2010 Legacy and has 84,000 miles on it and she can get over 30 MPG, easily. I have 4500 miles on my 2013 Outback and I easily get 29 MPG, sometimes over 30. As far as the mileage concerns I feel it is the way a person drives. The car is not meant for spirited driving. If you want that, buy something else. It drives tight and very predictable, although the gas pedal is a little touchy when accelerating from a stop. The ride quality is very good, a little firm but I wanted that over a soft ride. I did buy the limited for the Harmon/Karmon radio because the base radio really sucks as far as sound quality. I'm 6'3" and the little added height to the Outback makes it easy to exit.

Favorite Features

I like the ground clearance and the added height makes getting in and out of the car very easy. I traded in a 2005 Murano and went from 21 MPG to over 29MPG. That's over a 35% increase in mileage. I like the visibility, the blind spots are minimal. The steering is tight with very little play. The suspension is firm but not unduly harsh. The brakes are very predictable and sure. Turning radius is short compared to my 2005 Murano. The storage area in back is well laid out.

Suggested Improvements

Not much complain about. The hatch is a little hard to close with only one hand. It has strong mechanism to hold the hatch up. The privacy cover on the storage area rattles somewhat in driving on rough roads. It took in while to figure that out, but it stores completely out of sight in the storage for the spare tire, very nice.

After a month...
By waskallywabbit

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Like several others...I'm a little disappointed in the mileage. My new Outback gets about 26 on my daily 27 mile (each way) commute. While that matches the "overall" mileage rating...I was hoping for better. My last vehicle, a Jeep Patriot, actually got it's rated 27 mpg on that same commute. But the Outback is certainly more comfortable to drive. The steering takes a little getting used to...but only because it's very tight and responsive. Before buying, I test drove everything in its class and it's only real competition was the Forrester.

Favorite Features

Comfort of ride is great for the minimum 10 hours per week I spend behind the wheel. Ride is quiet and smooth. Interior layout is also great. Controls are easily accessible and intelligently laid out. Aside from a small blind spot, visibility is good.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the competition models had a "sport"/"cruise" mode for the steering, which would be nice for long freeway trips where the sporty handling can become high maintenance. Like most other cars, the heated seat controls are located on the top of the center console which makes them easy to accidentally turn on/off. The automatic dimming rear mirror is great. How about offering that for the side mirrors as well? Although I like the storage shelf top center of the dash...setting stuff there blocks the view of the clock, etc.

My new baby
By blu3

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the car its my 2nd one!

Good car, except for MPG
By bigstig

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are Subaru people. I've owned 5 in the past decade. While we are basically happy with our 2013 Outback, we don't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Our 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT replaced a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT. We traded in the 2010 for the nicer interior, better color, and "bonus" 1mpg. While we love the Limited's features, after 18k miles the MPG falls well short of the EPA estimates. With the 2010, we got 75k miles worth of 30-31mpg 70mph commuting. That's 1-2 mpg better than the sticker. With the 2013, we struggle to get 26mpg. Dealer says car is normal. Had I known this, we would have bought a 3.6R and gotten more power and avoided the dreary droney CVT.

Favorite Features

It's a Subaru. AWD, easy to drive, comfortable, reliable, surprising off-road capabilities. Great cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Fix MPG discrepancy. CVT continues to offer all the driving excitement of a bowl of overlooked pasta. Really wish they'd go to a 6/7 speed traditional automatic.

5K miles so far
By cdaoust

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Issues Mileage! Don't know how they got a 27/30 EPA rating but I give it 24/27 - upsetting. I read they toyed with tranny to get more oomph on 2013 perhaps resulting in mileage loss. Engine same but EPA would have to retest right? Yes am lead foot but have noticed that even in slower traffic I only get a little over 27 at best. Tranny noisy! listen while test drive - if it doesn't bother you then it won't later. Worst when engine cold. Steering bit odd coming from mazda 6 - I wandered all over lane at first (you can find many reports on net of this) but now its OK/better. Pros Suspension/drive very good on road, AWD, Comfortable/Spacious interior, Bluetooth, Roof rack

Favorite Features

- great drive/handling - Bluetooth great - calls and streaming. Sound of pandora over BT is great! - speed compensating radio settings! - love integrated rack (though with new box was getting wind noise perhaps just needing position adjustment) - SPACE! lots of room in back for my teenagers and back seat reclines some for long trips

Suggested Improvements

Mileage! For me the space the car gives me is worth the loss of mileage and I may have bought this car anyway but when comparing I would think of this as a 24/27 rated car at best for average drivers. Transmission noise.

Not totally up to hype.
By car_trader

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had my Outback for 3 days now and really nice to drive, well laid out on the interior, handles fantastic on wet roads. Now, for the take to heart before you buy issues. Steering not as tight as it should be, mushy brakes, noisy tranny, seriously over rated gas milage, and extremely fussy blue tooth. I bought this with my wife in mind as she loves Subaru. Had I to do it all over again, would have bought the Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo, now thats a car! If you are considering the Outback, test drive it twice, even three times before you commit. Make sure it is exactly what you are looking for.

Favorite Features

Interior room, wet weather handling, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Rate the gas milage accurately, too many models don't live up to anywhere near their inflated claims. Tighten up the steering and brakes, better blu tooth program, too many steps to phone out.

New owner
By tblvr0885

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Only 750 miles. So far, everything I expected. Love the white with corresponding black, headlight design, and overall look. Interior design and layout very good. Wish list: auto headlight delay when shutting off; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options; lift gate window open separate from lift gate. Knew these weren't there before purchase, but would be good features/options for future. Voice command navigation hard to use.

Favorite Features

CVT trans; center stack; mileage; seats; overall look.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight delay on auto; lifts ate window opens separate from lift gate; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options from "special Appearence pkg.