2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Not totally up to hype.
By car_trader on 03/14/13 12:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had my Outback for 3 days now and really nice to drive, well laid out on the interior, handles fantastic on wet roads. Now, for the take to heart before you buy issues. Steering not as tight as it should be, mushy brakes, noisy tranny, seriously over rated gas milage, and extremely fussy blue tooth. I bought this with my wife in mind as she loves Subaru. Had I to do it all over again, would have bought the Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo, now thats a car! If you are considering the Outback, test drive it twice, even three times before you commit. Make sure it is exactly what you are looking for.

New owner
By tblvr0885 on 03/04/13 18:10 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Only 750 miles. So far, everything I expected. Love the white with corresponding black, headlight design, and overall look. Interior design and layout very good. Wish list: auto headlight delay when shutting off; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options; lift gate window open separate from lift gate. Knew these weren't there before purchase, but would be good features/options for future. Voice command navigation hard to use.

Suspension is a little hard as are the interior plastics
By theooutback on 03/04/13 17:18 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is our second Outback, the first being a 2006. What's nice - the interior styling, the very good AWD, and FINALLY rear air vents (at least in the Limited) that have been available on non-US Outbacks for years. But they did stiffen things up a bit and this is described by some professional reviewers as improved handling. In real world driving, it means that imperfect pavement (really normal pavement these days) is always there with you. It's not bouncy, just hard. Which brings me to the interior plastics - tap on them with your nails to get a knock on the door sound. The materials seem fairly cheap aside from the seating surfaces. A lesson from recent Toyotas?

Perfect car
By rzerobis on 02/27/13 18:25 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is a perfect, everyday car, to drive in various conditions. The first time I drove it, I was shocked how much power and low end torque the 4 cylinder boxer engine generated. The drive is very compliant, but don't expect cornering like on rails, this is not a sports car. Then again, on a very wet and rainy day, you will see sports cars in your back mirror, 4AWD and hefty ground clearance has it's advantages. Tall people will love ample space inside, with comfortable front seats, and plenty of space in the back. Fold down the back seats...and you will be pleasantly surprised again how much space there is inside to haul all of your stuff.

2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
By rogerl3 on 02/25/13 11:44 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium after extensive research.This is my first Subaru and first AWD vehicle. After 2,700 miles of driving I have been very pleased with the performance, drivability, and features. The car handles extremely well on all roads. Acceleration is acceptable, with plenty of torque and power with the 4 cyl. Boxer engine. The CVT transmission takes a bit of "getting used to" as it does not shift through gears as a typical automatic transmission. The interior is quiet and comfortable, plenty of space for 4 adults and storage in the rear cargo area. The Outback is an exceptional value IMHO.

Will replace next year - too many issues
By mike743 on 02/25/13 10:17 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

There are two issues with the vehicle that really take away from the enjoyment of driving the car and make me regret purchasing it in the first place. The first issue is that the Harmon/Kardon "upgraded" audio system presents a noticeable hiss when doing certain functions with the audio/nav unit. When I am programming my nav unit each time I press a button I hear a hiss that gets louder, than softer. Same with when I am talking to someone using the bluetooth phone. Each time the person talks a noticeable hiss gets a bit louder than goes quiet again. The other issue is a very noticeable "clunk" noise when releasing the brake pedal when at a complete stop. Makes the care feel cheap.

Realy Nice Car
By kkeppel on 02/19/13 12:32 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have driven full size American 4x4 pick-ups for the last 25 years. Divorce and gas prices caused me to down size. I love this car, it gets great gas mileage and can still get me to my hunting cabin in Maine. I must say that 30 MPG is not quite accurate. I am averaging 25.5 with mixed driving. I can get 28 on highway at 70 mph. The car is comfortable, nice riding and capable. I would buy another Subaru without question and I recommend one to anyone who needs a fun car thats good in snow and a little off roading.

American Fuji
By snowmass1 on 02/10/13 04:27 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

What a surprise. I've always wondered how this vehicle would be to own and so far have no disappointments. Well engineered and perfectly assembled in the good old U.S. of A

Poor fuel economy
By postit1 on 02/08/13 21:09 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I would like this car very much were it not for the gas mileage. I would not recomend this car if fuel economy is at all important to you. I am a light footed driver who has always gotten near or even slightly above the rated mileage on vehicles owned. There are always a few drivers who will get poor mileage with any vehicle. Before buying I dismissed these at lead footed drivers. I should not have. Check around on the web and you will find poor mileage is a pretty common issue with the 2013 4 cyl. Outback. I am getting 22-23 mpg on 70-80% highway driving split between 50-60mph and 75 mph. Non highway driving is suburban areas. Am actively working to unload this vehicle.

Best Subaru Yet!
By poohbaru on 02/02/13 09:11 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Had the car now since Sept 2012, my 6th Subaru and the best so far. My first was a 84' GL wagon and I've been in love with Subaru's ever since. They are more refined now and offer a lot more creature comforts but still have that unique character that makes a Subaru a Subaru. I have the 3.6R Limited with EyeSight (thought about the Special Appearance Package but opted for safety over a couple of additional gadgets). Very glad I did. The EyeSight system is AWESOME. It has saved me from a few close calls and actually prevented me from hitting a deer. I had a 06 LL Bean Outback (also a great car) couldn't believe how much roomier it was and love that I can use regular gas versus high test

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Outback Wagon in WA is:

$169 per month*