2013 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews 3

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Mechanical Masterpiece
By phomat on 06/19/13 20:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Swapped my 1991 Acura NSX for this--wife wanted an SUV and I wanted a junk hauler. Have always admired Subaru for being unique, but poor gas mileage in the past kept me out of them. They've apparently solved the issue recently. We're getting better than EPA estimates, which is quite good for this size vehicle. The Outback has grown a lot since being a station wagon Legacy. It's now a full-fledged SUV, although, unlike most SUV's, it is sporty and utilitarian. Handles much better than expected (despite reviews I've read). Corners flat unless driven excessively hard. CVT is really quite good providing you adapt your driving to the way it works.

Met my Expectations!
By ohiotraveler on 06/18/13 15:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife has a 2010 Legacy and has 84,000 miles on it and she can get over 30 MPG, easily. I have 4500 miles on my 2013 Outback and I easily get 29 MPG, sometimes over 30. As far as the mileage concerns I feel it is the way a person drives. The car is not meant for spirited driving. If you want that, buy something else. It drives tight and very predictable, although the gas pedal is a little touchy when accelerating from a stop. The ride quality is very good, a little firm but I wanted that over a soft ride. I did buy the limited for the Harmon/Karmon radio because the base radio really sucks as far as sound quality. I'm 6'3" and the little added height to the Outback makes it easy to exit.

After a month...
By waskallywabbit on 06/16/13 08:11 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Like several others...I'm a little disappointed in the mileage. My new Outback gets about 26 on my daily 27 mile (each way) commute. While that matches the "overall" mileage rating...I was hoping for better. My last vehicle, a Jeep Patriot, actually got it's rated 27 mpg on that same commute. But the Outback is certainly more comfortable to drive. The steering takes a little getting used to...but only because it's very tight and responsive. Before buying, I test drove everything in its class and it's only real competition was the Forrester.

My new baby
By blu3 on 05/31/13 15:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the car its my 2nd one!

Good car, except for MPG
By bigstig on 04/30/13 07:55 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are Subaru people. I've owned 5 in the past decade. While we are basically happy with our 2013 Outback, we don't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Our 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT replaced a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT. We traded in the 2010 for the nicer interior, better color, and "bonus" 1mpg. While we love the Limited's features, after 18k miles the MPG falls well short of the EPA estimates. With the 2010, we got 75k miles worth of 30-31mpg 70mph commuting. That's 1-2 mpg better than the sticker. With the 2013, we struggle to get 26mpg. Dealer says car is normal. Had I known this, we would have bought a 3.6R and gotten more power and avoided the dreary droney CVT.

5K miles so far
By cdaoust on 04/22/13 13:15 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Issues Mileage! Don't know how they got a 27/30 EPA rating but I give it 24/27 - upsetting. I read they toyed with tranny to get more oomph on 2013 perhaps resulting in mileage loss. Engine same but EPA would have to retest right? Yes am lead foot but have noticed that even in slower traffic I only get a little over 27 at best. Tranny noisy! listen while test drive - if it doesn't bother you then it won't later. Worst when engine cold. Steering bit odd coming from mazda 6 - I wandered all over lane at first (you can find many reports on net of this) but now its OK/better. Pros Suspension/drive very good on road, AWD, Comfortable/Spacious interior, Bluetooth, Roof rack

Not totally up to hype.
By car_trader on 03/14/13 12:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had my Outback for 3 days now and really nice to drive, well laid out on the interior, handles fantastic on wet roads. Now, for the take to heart before you buy issues. Steering not as tight as it should be, mushy brakes, noisy tranny, seriously over rated gas milage, and extremely fussy blue tooth. I bought this with my wife in mind as she loves Subaru. Had I to do it all over again, would have bought the Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo, now thats a car! If you are considering the Outback, test drive it twice, even three times before you commit. Make sure it is exactly what you are looking for.

New owner
By tblvr0885 on 03/04/13 18:10 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Only 750 miles. So far, everything I expected. Love the white with corresponding black, headlight design, and overall look. Interior design and layout very good. Wish list: auto headlight delay when shutting off; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options; lift gate window open separate from lift gate. Knew these weren't there before purchase, but would be good features/options for future. Voice command navigation hard to use.

Suspension is a little hard as are the interior plastics
By theooutback on 03/04/13 17:18 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is our second Outback, the first being a 2006. What's nice - the interior styling, the very good AWD, and FINALLY rear air vents (at least in the Limited) that have been available on non-US Outbacks for years. But they did stiffen things up a bit and this is described by some professional reviewers as improved handling. In real world driving, it means that imperfect pavement (really normal pavement these days) is always there with you. It's not bouncy, just hard. Which brings me to the interior plastics - tap on them with your nails to get a knock on the door sound. The materials seem fairly cheap aside from the seating surfaces. A lesson from recent Toyotas?

Perfect car
By rzerobis on 02/27/13 18:25 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is a perfect, everyday car, to drive in various conditions. The first time I drove it, I was shocked how much power and low end torque the 4 cylinder boxer engine generated. The drive is very compliant, but don't expect cornering like on rails, this is not a sports car. Then again, on a very wet and rainy day, you will see sports cars in your back mirror, 4AWD and hefty ground clearance has it's advantages. Tall people will love ample space inside, with comfortable front seats, and plenty of space in the back. Fold down the back seats...and you will be pleasantly surprised again how much space there is inside to haul all of your stuff.