Used 2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Great except for black interior and NAV system
By cmlsudbury

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very good in all respects EXCEPT 1) the choice of interior (both light and dark show every single mark, especially along door where low entry almost guarantees your toes will mark the lower door panel) and 2) the AUDIO/NAV systems (which are easily the least-intuitive and most frustrating interfaces I have ever used in my life). They are so bad that they deserves a recall to fix the software

Favorite Features

CVT is excellent. Ride, performance, and overall design - other than AUDIO/NAV system - are very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Add beige/grey interior option. Why would anyone buying a SUV want something that marks so easily? Please read all of the complaints in Consumer Reports and every on-line forum, and then fix the AUDIO/NAV systems with free software update to current owners.

Not as good as I had hoped for.
By sknaffl4

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This Outback is my first Subaru, and sadly, it will probably be my last. I had high expectations for this car considering the excellent reviews from prior models, but now that I've got 40,000 miles on it, I'm not impressed. It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles, which Subaru says is normal. There is a constant vibration at hwy speeds that is NOT tire related. There are large gaps in the body panels, and the hatch doesn't even line up...indicating poor build quality. The seat is already starting to deform, and I'm not a big person. There is a constant rattle on deceleration, and the stock stereo speakers are probably the worst I've ever seen.

Favorite Features

AWD system is very good, I live in the mountains, so that was the primary reason for purchasing a Subaru. The maintenance on the car is very easy for the DIY minded person.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru North America has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. I've called in about the oil consumption issue, yet they refuse to do anything about it saying that's the way the engineers designed it...which in my opinion is an insult to anybody who knows anything about cars. A simple Google search will net you dozens of reports of an oil consumption issue on Subaru's FB25 engine. Subaru needs to fess up to this MAJOR issue and get a fix in place. I know Subaru has grown a lot in the last few years, but it may be time to take a step back and start focusing on their build quality and customer service...which is what put them on the map to begin with.

Good Basic Transportation after 20k miles just OK
By electricvette

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I tell every one I do not like it for the following reasons. 1. The front seat will not go full horizontal so my wife has two towels in the back. 2. road noise is terrible. 3. heavy steering... its like they put the smallest freek'n power steering pump in to get better gas mileage and you have to work the wheel on trips. 4. radio knobs are not log enough. 5 poor ride comfort. MY GMC Denali rides soooo much better than this. 6. seat comfort is poor. Will not be a repeat customer. Looking for something quieter on my next car.

Favorite Features

I have to admit it's a beast in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

fix the front seats. fix the steering so I'm not sore after a long trip. should be a pleasure to drive not a chore.

Great car for the Money
By cdose

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Recently got this car in July 2013. I wasn't thinking of spending the money for a new car but somehow I found one on the lot for 4k off sticker and went for it. It was a great choice, the car is incredible sturdy, useful, easy to drive, it came with a manual which was important to me. The backseats are much more comfortable than any SUV I have been in, lots of space in the back too. First snow of the season hits and I could not be more pleased with how the car handles. The only thing you have to worry about is the cars around you, this thing is just phenomenal in the snow, especially with a manual transmission.

Favorite Features

Manual Transmission, AWD In the snow you have to be seriously trying to lose traction with this thing. You feel incredible secure driving this thing, Great seating position, great viability.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and transmission. While I love that you can get a manual with it, its obvious they spent more time refining the CVT. The gears are incredible close together which leads to a painfully short 6th gear. 3000 RPM before 70 MPH is really annoying, which also is a cause of my next point. Gas Mileage. This thing is a 2.5 4 cylinder. While it does okay if you nurse it and go under 70 MPH, anything above and your mileage drops fast. At 75 MPH I see 26 MPG, while at 70 I see 30. Really steep drop off is annoying. Engine is reliable, and gets the job done, but you can tell its an old design. A little more power would be nice, and I think would almost help with mileage,

Love My Subaru
By jlewis51

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Needed a new vehicle and read tons of reviews as well as drove a lot of crossover type SUVs. We were impressed with the Subaru's safety ratings and consumer reviews so we bought this 2013 Outback. We love it! Gas mileage is awesome. 34.2 on highway so far and around 24 in city and it's not broke in as yet. Only downsides: the beige cloth seats get dirty easily so get seat covers ASAP; air conditioning is a bit hard to regulate. It's roomy and comfy inside. I have a horrid back and find that I'm not getting as stiff and achy after riding in this for long periods of time. We're very impressed with Subaru! Owned a Honda Accord before.

Favorite Features

Roomy inside and comfortable seats. Great gas mileage. Looks and drives great.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the air conditioning had better control. Seems like I'm always cold. The light color seats look great but seem to get dirty easily. Bought cheap covers for front seats and am looking to buy the matching ones for the back. It would never withstand children/dogs. However, the black interior seemed claustrophobic to me so didn't want those.