2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews 3

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
First Subie Love
By joepawlicki on 07/24/13 14:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've had our 2013 Outback since the Winter and its been awesome. The suspension was definitely stiffened up this year which can make poor road conditions more noticeable but high speed and back road handling is spot on. Our latest road trip was 400 miles to NH and we averaged 33.6 MPG with 3 people, cargo and lots of mountain roads. We've hit a few off road trails and the car has tackled mud and dips with ease. The interior is quiet, spacious and the harmon kardon audio is very good. No issues to date!

Excellent car with minor quirks
By ssubiedoobie on 07/04/13 08:09 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great car traded in my sport car, BMW which was in the shop frequently. Having said that I am done with "German" Engineering. I got the Outback for obvious outdoor activities as well as daily driver. The car handles well around sharp curves, their are to minor quirks with the car. 1) audio system to blue tooth, sometimes fades in and out. 2) Ignition keys, this I find more annoying I have not had ignition keys on a car for over 6 yrs but if you can go "retro" then it should not bother you. Overall great car, fun to drive. Impressive off road not only for its handling but the fact that it handles those bumps flawlessly. Works well on potholes also.

Mechanical Masterpiece
By phomat on 06/19/13 20:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Swapped my 1991 Acura NSX for this--wife wanted an SUV and I wanted a junk hauler. Have always admired Subaru for being unique, but poor gas mileage in the past kept me out of them. They've apparently solved the issue recently. We're getting better than EPA estimates, which is quite good for this size vehicle. The Outback has grown a lot since being a station wagon Legacy. It's now a full-fledged SUV, although, unlike most SUV's, it is sporty and utilitarian. Handles much better than expected (despite reviews I've read). Corners flat unless driven excessively hard. CVT is really quite good providing you adapt your driving to the way it works.

Met my Expectations!
By ohiotraveler on 06/18/13 15:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife has a 2010 Legacy and has 84,000 miles on it and she can get over 30 MPG, easily. I have 4500 miles on my 2013 Outback and I easily get 29 MPG, sometimes over 30. As far as the mileage concerns I feel it is the way a person drives. The car is not meant for spirited driving. If you want that, buy something else. It drives tight and very predictable, although the gas pedal is a little touchy when accelerating from a stop. The ride quality is very good, a little firm but I wanted that over a soft ride. I did buy the limited for the Harmon/Karmon radio because the base radio really sucks as far as sound quality. I'm 6'3" and the little added height to the Outback makes it easy to exit.

After a month...
By waskallywabbit on 06/16/13 08:11 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Like several others...I'm a little disappointed in the mileage. My new Outback gets about 26 on my daily 27 mile (each way) commute. While that matches the "overall" mileage rating...I was hoping for better. My last vehicle, a Jeep Patriot, actually got it's rated 27 mpg on that same commute. But the Outback is certainly more comfortable to drive. The steering takes a little getting used to...but only because it's very tight and responsive. Before buying, I test drove everything in its class and it's only real competition was the Forrester.

My new baby
By blu3 on 05/31/13 15:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the car its my 2nd one!

Good car, except for MPG
By bigstig on 04/30/13 07:55 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are Subaru people. I've owned 5 in the past decade. While we are basically happy with our 2013 Outback, we don't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Our 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT replaced a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT. We traded in the 2010 for the nicer interior, better color, and "bonus" 1mpg. While we love the Limited's features, after 18k miles the MPG falls well short of the EPA estimates. With the 2010, we got 75k miles worth of 30-31mpg 70mph commuting. That's 1-2 mpg better than the sticker. With the 2013, we struggle to get 26mpg. Dealer says car is normal. Had I known this, we would have bought a 3.6R and gotten more power and avoided the dreary droney CVT.

5K miles so far
By cdaoust on 04/22/13 13:15 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Issues Mileage! Don't know how they got a 27/30 EPA rating but I give it 24/27 - upsetting. I read they toyed with tranny to get more oomph on 2013 perhaps resulting in mileage loss. Engine same but EPA would have to retest right? Yes am lead foot but have noticed that even in slower traffic I only get a little over 27 at best. Tranny noisy! listen while test drive - if it doesn't bother you then it won't later. Worst when engine cold. Steering bit odd coming from mazda 6 - I wandered all over lane at first (you can find many reports on net of this) but now its OK/better. Pros Suspension/drive very good on road, AWD, Comfortable/Spacious interior, Bluetooth, Roof rack

Not totally up to hype.
By car_trader on 03/14/13 12:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had my Outback for 3 days now and really nice to drive, well laid out on the interior, handles fantastic on wet roads. Now, for the take to heart before you buy issues. Steering not as tight as it should be, mushy brakes, noisy tranny, seriously over rated gas milage, and extremely fussy blue tooth. I bought this with my wife in mind as she loves Subaru. Had I to do it all over again, would have bought the Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo, now thats a car! If you are considering the Outback, test drive it twice, even three times before you commit. Make sure it is exactly what you are looking for.

New owner
By tblvr0885 on 03/04/13 18:10 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Only 750 miles. So far, everything I expected. Love the white with corresponding black, headlight design, and overall look. Interior design and layout very good. Wish list: auto headlight delay when shutting off; make memory seats and adaptive cruise separate options; lift gate window open separate from lift gate. Knew these weren't there before purchase, but would be good features/options for future. Voice command navigation hard to use.