Used 2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

45,000 Miles Later
By Jeffrey

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned my 2013 2.5i Limited Outback for the past 2.5 years now. I live in the SF Bay Area. It's been on several road trips. The most recent to Vancouver Canada. I've taken the car off-roading in Washington state and Utah. It handled off-roading very well. In the winter, I take it to Lake Tahoe for awesome snowboarding adventures. It's very grippy and I trust Subaru's AWD system over other car brands. Slip and grip AWD system, no thanks! LOL! It is my daily driver. It gets decent mpg. In the city, I'm averaging 24 mpg and on the highway 27 mpg. Not bad for the size and AWD. It has a CVT with 173 hp. When I purchased the vehicle, I knew I wasn't buying a sports car. If I wanted a zippier model, I would have opted for the 3.6R. The only issue I've had is oil consumption. However, there is a warning light that comes on. I've read other reviews where people claim their tanks were completely empty. These people must be idiots because there is a sensor that indicates that oil level is getting low before it is completely empty. All my cars I've owned had that warning. Otherwise, it is very reliable. As an experienced person who has gone on dozens of road trips, I always carry engine coolant and engine oil no matter the vehicle. The car has a very spacious interior. My only gripe is the hard plastic dash (which was replaced with soft-touch materials for the 2015 and newer models). This car fits my lifestyle. I wanted an outdoor vehicle with high ground clearance that wasn't an SUV, but had the capabilities of one. The Subaru Outback did just that.

Complete Slug
By Bob H

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

While the base engine reports to have 170+ Hp, you would never know it. The torque curve is horrible and all of it's power is at the top end. In addition, mine has the now infamous oil consumption problem that Subaru still claims is perfectly normal. My dealer has gone to filling with 5W-20 oil instead of the 0W-20 required just to prevent me from having to add a quart of oil every 2000 miles, or so. Not to mention that you are required to put full synthetic oil, 6 qts of it, in an oil change. The dealer charges $60 for an oil change and I still have to add two qts of oil (at nearly $10/qt) between changes. I change oil every 7500 miles and get hounded by the dealer to change at 3000 miles even though the manual suggests 10K miles.

The stereo sounds like a 70's AM unit unless you are using the iPod input. Stereo capture is very poor. Speakers are poor quality.

The interior is designed fairly well, but the use of cheap materials covers that up. Seats are generally comfortable, though.

I bought the car for it's cost of ownership, as it does hold it's value well, but I cannot figure out why. Mostly because of the terrible engine, I will not buy another Subaru.

Trailered it to the dealership because all oil was gone
By Mel B

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I had gone through the consumption test at 40k miles and now at 62500 miles (6000 miles since last oil change, 7500 recommended by dealership) it was empty- NO OIL left after adding 2 quarts since oil change at 56,500 miles. We put it on a trailer and dropped it off to be looked at. They suggest replacing the PCV valve at this point, so we'll see. Bought the car in August of 2014, so less than a year, with 34000 miles on it. Tried to trade it in and they offered me $16000 after I paid $24500 less than a year prior. Massive disappointment

dissapointed
By antlerking

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Choice of interiors, almost white or almost black. Two hardest colors to keep clean. My friend reached 16k and started using oil,{ring job]. I've just reached 16k and used a qt. of oil in the last 800 miles. that will be a ring job also. Dash gauges that are of some real use. A voltmeter and temp. gauge to tell me about potential problems. What I do have is a gauge with a plus or minus to tell me about my fuel usage. It goes to minus when I go up hill and plus when I go down hill. This helps me in no way. The trans./engine combo is very noisy on acceleration. Stop talking and forget the radio, you can't hear anything. It's also a dog on acceleration, all noise and no go.

I like the high clearance

Scrape the CVT trans. and manual mode, and put in a good 6 spd. auto. Find some better color selections for the interior. Install dash gauges that are of some real use.

Oil Consuming Outback
By russellta

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Love the car, hate how it burns oil and Subaru knows about it but will not stand behind their product. Oil consumption test done by local Subaru Service department shows 1qt oil consumed in 1,529 miles on our 2014 Outback with 9,253 miles on the odometer. Local Service Department says they did not do the test right, but I looked at the dipstick myself before we took it in. 1qt low at 1,520 miles. Oil consumption test says 1/3qt in 1,200 is out of specification, contacting SOA got us an answer of; go back to the dealer. Really? Stand behind your product Subaru. Read the lawsuit against you and you will see there is no reason for me to go back to my dealer.

Like looking at it sitting in the driveway because we can't drive it anywhere. Is that really a 'like'? not sure but it is pretty to look at

stop the oil consumption that is destroying other engine components and the environment