Used 2013 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Great - but just misses it
By tlhcpa

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've hqd my 2013 Outback 2.t Limited for over a year. I wanted a 6 cylinder. The choise was between an Acura RDX and Outback. While I like the Outback, for the amount of money I think the RDX would have been a better deal. The price was about the same except the Outback does not have drivers seat memory, a LOUSY almost unusable navigation system, no auto assist parking, no power tailgate. In addtion the OUtback is noisy as all get out. The heat/AC fan is so loud you can't hear the radio. Road noise is loud as well. Gas mileage is 5-7 MPG below what is advertised. Not exactly the best choice in the $35K-$40K price range.

Favorite Features

The handling and accelaration make it fun to drive. It is designed for AWD not as an AWD add-on. I like the Eyesight, the 10 position power seat

Suggested Improvements

Add a drivers seat memory with powr seats. Make the navigation system more useer friendly. Do something about the interior and road noise. It' cannot be that hard to find a quieter fan.

Excellent except HK Audio/Nav system
By anavig8r

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I agree with all points of the review by cmlsudbury. I've got the dark interior and it does show every mark, especially where shoes hit the door panels. Not sure this would happen in other cars with similar color scheme. I hate the AUDIO/NAV system. I wanted the backup camera and you had to get the AUDIO/NAV to get the camera. I feel totally ripped off for the price paid for this upgrade vs the value received. Software upgrade had better be a warranty item. Only 7500 miles so early days on reliability. Dinged Interior Design and Value because of the audio/nav system.

Favorite Features

I really like how the Outback drives. CVT is excellent. Ride, performance, and overall design - other than AUDIO/NAV system - are very nice. Seems solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the current Audio/Nav/Voice system interface and redesign the UI from the ground up. - The on-screen buttons are small and the layout is poor. Tons of wasted screen real estate. - The physical buttons below the screen are redundant and unneeded. Get rid of the radio controls and make the environment controls bigger. Or better yet, integrate the environment stuff into the touch screen. - The voice recognition system fails at most tasks. - The phone system cannot match incoming calls to numbers in the phone book, so all incoming calls are unknown. Use the system in the Toyota Sienna as a reference. It's clear they've put some thought into usability.

Going from full size truck to outback = Good
By bigdavenh

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am a student that has to travel 425 miles round trip per week from home to school. I previously had a full size pick up truck and I can not be happier with the switch to the Subaru. I live in Northern NH and the outback is great in the snow/ice and handles well on the highway. I have been averaging 25-27mpg highway but I suspect it mostly has to do with the terrain. I am 6'3" and am not skinny by any means. 17,000 miles in 5 months and have been very happy so far

Favorite Features

Heated cloth seats, CVT makes the transmission shifts almost unnoticeable unless going up hill, tan interior is nice (hate black).

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth system work but will not sync with my iPhone 5 automatically no matter what i try, cup holders are very close together and are small which makes putting large drink in them a pain, tires that came on the car stock might be called all season but are not good for snow, more 12v outlets would be nice, and a better warranty because I will go through my warranty in under 12 months due to mileage.

Great except for black interior and NAV system
By cmlsudbury

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very good in all respects EXCEPT 1) the choice of interior (both light and dark show every single mark, especially along door where low entry almost guarantees your toes will mark the lower door panel) and 2) the AUDIO/NAV systems (which are easily the least-intuitive and most frustrating interfaces I have ever used in my life). They are so bad that they deserves a recall to fix the software

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Add beige/grey interior option. Why would anyone buying a SUV want something that marks so easily? Please read all of the complaints in Consumer Reports and every on-line forum, and then fix the AUDIO/NAV systems with free software update to current owners.

Not as good as I had hoped for.
By sknaffl4

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This Outback is my first Subaru, and sadly, it will probably be my last. I had high expectations for this car considering the excellent reviews from prior models, but now that I've got 40,000 miles on it, I'm not impressed. It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles, which Subaru says is normal. There is a constant vibration at hwy speeds that is NOT tire related. There are large gaps in the body panels, and the hatch doesn't even line up...indicating poor build quality. The seat is already starting to deform, and I'm not a big person. There is a constant rattle on deceleration, and the stock stereo speakers are probably the worst I've ever seen.

Favorite Features

AWD system is very good, I live in the mountains, so that was the primary reason for purchasing a Subaru. The maintenance on the car is very easy for the DIY minded person.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru North America has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. I've called in about the oil consumption issue, yet they refuse to do anything about it saying that's the way the engineers designed it...which in my opinion is an insult to anybody who knows anything about cars. A simple Google search will net you dozens of reports of an oil consumption issue on Subaru's FB25 engine. Subaru needs to fess up to this MAJOR issue and get a fix in place. I know Subaru has grown a lot in the last few years, but it may be time to take a step back and start focusing on their build quality and customer service...which is what put them on the map to begin with.