Used 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

oil consumption
By zoltan1469

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

we purchased our first new car, very exciting.. First year burned through oil, a lot of oil! dealer said this was normal, we weren't checking properly, might have a problem. did oil consumption test, obviously a problem 1 quart every 700 miles. Subaru talerance is 1/3 quart every 1000? Subaru replaced the rings, and still there's a problem. we've now reached 26K miles. No new fixes. we were advised to carry a quart of oil with us. "I don't think so!" If the 2014 is the same as the 2013 you are making a mistake purchasing this car. If they tell you it's normal.. Its Not.. Let Subaru admit and fix this "alleged" issue first, then this will be a great car.

Go aware anytime. Great option. Tons of space, not only for "stuff" but tall passengers as well, front or back.

Acknowledge there's a problem with the oil consumption. Better quality interior materials.

Great car for the Money
By cdose

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Recently got this car in July 2013. I wasn't thinking of spending the money for a new car but somehow I found one on the lot for 4k off sticker and went for it. It was a great choice, the car is incredible sturdy, useful, easy to drive, it came with a manual which was important to me. The backseats are much more comfortable than any SUV I have been in, lots of space in the back too. First snow of the season hits and I could not be more pleased with how the car handles. The only thing you have to worry about is the cars around you, this thing is just phenomenal in the snow, especially with a manual transmission.

Manual Transmission, AWD In the snow you have to be seriously trying to lose traction with this thing. You feel incredible secure driving this thing, Great seating position, great viability.

Engine and transmission. While I love that you can get a manual with it, its obvious they spent more time refining the CVT. The gears are incredible close together which leads to a painfully short 6th gear. 3000 RPM before 70 MPH is really annoying, which also is a cause of my next point. Gas Mileage. This thing is a 2.5 4 cylinder. While it does okay if you nurse it and go under 70 MPH, anything above and your mileage drops fast. At 75 MPH I see 26 MPG, while at 70 I see 30. Really steep drop off is annoying. Engine is reliable, and gets the job done, but you can tell its an old design. A little more power would be nice, and I think would almost help with mileage,