Used 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

I LOVE my Subaru
By Brenda

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Try it and you will LOVE it! Amazing! Best car I have ever had!!!

great car bad mpg
By Joe

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Love the car, hate the fuel mileage. After 25000 miless it droped about 5mpg both city and highway. Now it goes from day to day what you will get. Most of the time city23 hyw 27. Best city 26 hyw 34. Last 5000 miles I averaged 23.2.

Versital
By Jimmy joe

Complete Slug
By Bob H

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

While the base engine reports to have 170+ Hp, you would never know it. The torque curve is horrible and all of it's power is at the top end. In addition, mine has the now infamous oil consumption problem that Subaru still claims is perfectly normal. My dealer has gone to filling with 5W-20 oil instead of the 0W-20 required just to prevent me from having to add a quart of oil every 2000 miles, or so. Not to mention that you are required to put full synthetic oil, 6 qts of it, in an oil change. The dealer charges $60 for an oil change and I still have to add two qts of oil (at nearly $10/qt) between changes. I change oil every 7500 miles and get hounded by the dealer to change at 3000 miles even though the manual suggests 10K miles.

The stereo sounds like a 70's AM unit unless you are using the iPod input. Stereo capture is very poor. Speakers are poor quality.

The interior is designed fairly well, but the use of cheap materials covers that up. Seats are generally comfortable, though.

I bought the car for it's cost of ownership, as it does hold it's value well, but I cannot figure out why. Mostly because of the terrible engine, I will not buy another Subaru.

oil consumption
By zoltan1469

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

we purchased our first new car, very exciting.. First year burned through oil, a lot of oil!
dealer said this was normal, we weren't checking properly, might have a problem.
did oil consumption test, obviously a problem 1 quart every 700 miles.
Subaru talerance is 1/3 quart every 1000?
Subaru replaced the rings, and still there's a problem. we've now reached 26K miles. No new fixes. we were advised to carry a quart of oil with us. "I don't think so!" If the 2014 is the same as the 2013 you are making a mistake purchasing this car. If they tell you it's normal.. Its Not..
Let Subaru admit and fix this "alleged" issue first, then this will be a great car.

Go aware anytime. Great option. Tons of space, not only for "stuff" but tall passengers as well, front or back.

Acknowledge there's a problem with the oil consumption. Better quality interior materials.