Used 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Great - but just misses it
By tlhcpa

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've hqd my 2013 Outback 2.t Limited for over a year. I wanted a 6 cylinder. The choise was between an Acura RDX and Outback. While I like the Outback, for the amount of money I think the RDX would have been a better deal. The price was about the same except the Outback does not have drivers seat memory, a LOUSY almost unusable navigation system, no auto assist parking, no power tailgate. In addtion the OUtback is noisy as all get out. The heat/AC fan is so loud you can't hear the radio. Road noise is loud as well. Gas mileage is 5-7 MPG below what is advertised. Not exactly the best choice in the $35K-$40K price range.

The handling and accelaration make it fun to drive. It is designed for AWD not as an AWD add-on. I like the Eyesight, the 10 position power seat

Add a drivers seat memory with powr seats. Make the navigation system more useer friendly. Do something about the interior and road noise. It' cannot be that hard to find a quieter fan.

Excellent car with minor quirks
By ssubiedoobie

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great car traded in my sport car, BMW which was in the shop frequently. Having said that I am done with "German" Engineering. I got the Outback for obvious outdoor activities as well as daily driver. The car handles well around sharp curves, their are to minor quirks with the car. 1) audio system to blue tooth, sometimes fades in and out. 2) Ignition keys, this I find more annoying I have not had ignition keys on a car for over 6 yrs but if you can go "retro" then it should not bother you. Overall great car, fun to drive. Impressive off road not only for its handling but the fact that it handles those bumps flawlessly. Works well on potholes also.

Comfortable seats, lots of leg room. Easy to use roof rack.

Audio Get rid of ignition keys, go with the push button start.

Best Subaru Yet!
By poohbaru

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Had the car now since Sept 2012, my 6th Subaru and the best so far. My first was a 84' GL wagon and I've been in love with Subaru's ever since. They are more refined now and offer a lot more creature comforts but still have that unique character that makes a Subaru a Subaru. I have the 3.6R Limited with EyeSight (thought about the Special Appearance Package but opted for safety over a couple of additional gadgets). Very glad I did. The EyeSight system is AWESOME. It has saved me from a few close calls and actually prevented me from hitting a deer. I had a 06 LL Bean Outback (also a great car) couldn't believe how much roomier it was and love that I can use regular gas versus high test

EyeSight by far but love the Harmon Kardon system including the Navigation system. Love the fact that the roof rails store away and now can be adjusted as well. My iphone 5 and ipod both fully intergrate with the car which makes the Harmon Kardon system even better. The car has unbelievable safety features. One little thing for people who are new to Subaru, but those of us that have owned older models really appreciate is the hood support shocks, NO MORE HAVING TO USE THE ROD TO HOLD THE HOOD UP! I love also that VDC is now on all Subarus.

None so far

Almost perfect
By benthedog

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Got a 2013 3.6 with the special appearance package. Car is a joy to drive with plenty of pwr and torque combined with the paddle shifters. This is my first Subaru and I am impressed with the fit and finish. The interior space is more than adequate for my wife and me. The car is easy to get into and out of. The car seems incredibly solid.

Special appearance package is really nice with the saddle leather. I love the cladding around the bottom of the car. I got the wheel arch moldings and with the mud flaps no stones have made it to the metal so far. The slab sides are a breeze to clean. 3.6 is torque enough for me and the paddle shifters and tighter suspension make this a fun car to drive. 8.5 inches ground clearance is nice to have. I cant wait to get it off road to hit some of our favorite bicycle trails.

It is almost perfect; however, I have a few nits to pick. Nav system cant be changed while car is moving, driver 1 and driver 2 seat adjustment doesnt work unless car is on, passenger door lock button doesnt light up at night, no seat height adjustment on passenger seat, no delay when car is shut off so lights, radio go off immediately, pwr. locks dont automatically lock at 15 mph. I think Subaru should come out with a luxury interior that can compete with Volvo or Audi. I know that may not be their niche, but the Outback platform can handle it on the engineering side.

2013 Outback Adds Bells and Whistles
By bepete

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The Subaru Outback has always been on my watch list because of its high reliability / resale value coupled with proven AWD performance. When Motor Trend awarded its SUV of the Year Award to the redesigned and larger 2010 Outback, I took a closer look but felt the vehicle lacked tech and comfort features that were commonplace in the new vehicle market. The top of the line 2013 Subaru Outback has changed all that, and was worth the wait. The Outback Limited (especially with the Special Appearance Package) was a clear choice for me relative to the awkward looking (Honda CrossTour, Toyota Venza) and the pricey (Acura RDX, Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland). The 3.6R has been a blast to drive.

Special Appearance Package: 1. Saddle Brown Leather interior 2. Keyless Access (by touch of hand on door handle) and Push Engine Start 3. Memory Driver's Seats 4. Exterior Turn Signals with gray finish 5. New Navigation System w/ Bluetooth, rear camera, Harmon Kardon audio system 6. Power Moonroof 7. Exterior Gray Accents (turn signal mirrors, allow wheels) 8. Front Accents (gold tinted front grill, black bezel headlights) 9. Outback logo floor mats 10. Darker (Faux) Woodgrain Trim Accessories / Other: 1. Blue Ambient Interior Illumination 2. New Rear Seatback Protectors 3. Factory Installed Trailer Hitch 4. Brilliant Brown Pearl Exterior w/ Matching Body Side Moldings 5. Cargo

Ideally, the Subaru Outback would have a power rear lift gate. I open and close the rear gate every time I travel. I asked my sales consultant in Midlothian, VA about it, and he said Subaru has considered it, but it would impact rear cargo (some of which is nicely hidden), vehicle weight, and vehicle cost. It's a nice to have feature, but not a deal breaker considering this vehicle comes in thousands below the vehicles noted above, and meets (if not exceeds) all of them in terms of long term performance and reliability. I paid about $1K below invoice, and averaging 21 mpg with the 3.6R, but that's after 600 miles mostly non-highway. Expecting 24-25 mpg on highway based trips.