Used 2013 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

dissapointed
By antlerking

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Choice of interiors, almost white or almost black. Two hardest colors to keep clean. My friend reached 16k and started using oil,{ring job]. I've just reached 16k and used a qt. of oil in the last 800 miles. that will be a ring job also. Dash gauges that are of some real use. A voltmeter and temp. gauge to tell me about potential problems. What I do have is a gauge with a plus or minus to tell me about my fuel usage. It goes to minus when I go up hill and plus when I go down hill. This helps me in no way. The trans./engine combo is very noisy on acceleration. Stop talking and forget the radio, you can't hear anything. It's also a dog on acceleration, all noise and no go.

Favorite Features

I like the high clearance

Suggested Improvements

Scrape the CVT trans. and manual mode, and put in a good 6 spd. auto. Find some better color selections for the interior. Install dash gauges that are of some real use.

Oil Consuming Outback
By russellta

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Love the car, hate how it burns oil and Subaru knows about it but will not stand behind their product. Oil consumption test done by local Subaru Service department shows 1qt oil consumed in 1,529 miles on our 2014 Outback with 9,253 miles on the odometer. Local Service Department says they did not do the test right, but I looked at the dipstick myself before we took it in. 1qt low at 1,520 miles. Oil consumption test says 1/3qt in 1,200 is out of specification, contacting SOA got us an answer of; go back to the dealer. Really? Stand behind your product Subaru. Read the lawsuit against you and you will see there is no reason for me to go back to my dealer.

Favorite Features

Like looking at it sitting in the driveway because we can't drive it anywhere. Is that really a 'like'? not sure but it is pretty to look at

Suggested Improvements

stop the oil consumption that is destroying other engine components and the environment

2 years and 33k miles later
By brent05

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Got a great vehicle just about 2 years ago, and still love it. Had some difficulty on color choice because apparently they don't built as many cars as what I was used to (chevy Malibu) but I am still happy with my choice. Met a nice guy camping in northern Michigan that had one and was raving about how good it was in snow and he even let me drive it around down the road and back. Got mine in August of '13 and so far so good. I do mainly highway driving with my cruise set at 60-62 and I've been getting 31.2-31.5 MPG at the pump. Only complaint is the trip computer tells me I'm getting 34.1 on average...I WISH!

Suggested Improvements

Wish the H/K audio was really stepped up a bit for the 'premium audio' it is supposed to be. Recently checked out the new 2015 model and they made some great strides with the sound system and the infotainment is also miles better.

The good, bad and ugly
By farmboy97

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Subaru has great idea with AWD feature and high ground clearance. Gas mileage is good and sound system is great. Nice interior and appointments. The car has heavy steering and some wandering adds to fatigue after traveling long distances. The car uses excessive amounts of oil between oil changes. Dealership dismissed my complaint. Told me, "they all use a little oil". Found out recently, there is a law suit pending regarding the issue. May not purchase another Subaru due to this issue.

Transmission shot at 83K miles
By transtrash

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wish I could love my Subaru like the commercials all tout but they didn't have the lemon I have. I drive a lot and was happy with all aspects of the Outback until my transmission failed at 83,000 miles. Since the power train warranty covers only 60,000 miles (they must know something) the dealership said it would cost me $8500 to fix. Subaru of America said they would give me $1,000 towards the repair as a good will gesture (it took them a week to come up with that). No thanks! Now I have to buy a used one online and hope that's not a lemon either. Needless to say "I don't love my Subaru"!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty. At least 100,000 miles.