2013 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
The good, bad and ugly
By farmboy97 on 08/29/14 12:06 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Subaru has great idea with AWD feature and high ground clearance. Gas mileage is good and sound system is great. Nice interior and appointments. The car has heavy steering and some wandering adds to fatigue after traveling long distances. The car uses excessive amounts of oil between oil changes. Dealership dismissed my complaint. Told me, "they all use a little oil". Found out recently, there is a law suit pending regarding the issue. May not purchase another Subaru due to this issue.

Transmission shot at 83K miles
By transtrash on 08/03/14 12:39 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wish I could love my Subaru like the commercials all tout but they didn't have the lemon I have. I drive a lot and was happy with all aspects of the Outback until my transmission failed at 83,000 miles. Since the power train warranty covers only 60,000 miles (they must know something) the dealership said it would cost me $8500 to fix. Subaru of America said they would give me $1,000 towards the repair as a good will gesture (it took them a week to come up with that). No thanks! Now I have to buy a used one online and hope that's not a lemon either. Needless to say "I don't love my Subaru"!

oil consumption
By zoltan1469 on 06/20/14 12:37 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

we purchased our first new car, very exciting.. First year burned through oil, a lot of oil! dealer said this was normal, we weren't checking properly, might have a problem. did oil consumption test, obviously a problem 1 quart every 700 miles. Subaru talerance is 1/3 quart every 1000? Subaru replaced the rings, and still there's a problem. we've now reached 26K miles. No new fixes. we were advised to carry a quart of oil with us. "I don't think so!" If the 2014 is the same as the 2013 you are making a mistake purchasing this car. If they tell you it's normal.. Its Not.. Let Subaru admit and fix this "alleged" issue first, then this will be a great car.

2013 OB 2.5i CVT 9 month update
By outie_quattro on 06/18/14 14:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Performance? is Meh, but it can handle fast bumpy on/off ramps with sublime decorum. Roll on speed 40 to 70 is fairly respectable for a family Wagon, and upshifting/downshifting is far smoother in the CVT...Hooning lightly around town in the snow will reveal one startling realizaiton...downshifting with all 4 wheels engaged + traction control on snowy roads is surreal! If your in this car on snowy roads, watch your back at icy stop signs and intersections; getting rear ended by those who cant possibly stop as fast is a real issue. Still too new to judge reliability..Add snowtires and go nealry everywhere in the snow. bottom line: I feel safe with my family in this car in all conditions.

Great - but just misses it
By tlhcpa on 06/08/14 08:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've hqd my 2013 Outback 2.t Limited for over a year. I wanted a 6 cylinder. The choise was between an Acura RDX and Outback. While I like the Outback, for the amount of money I think the RDX would have been a better deal. The price was about the same except the Outback does not have drivers seat memory, a LOUSY almost unusable navigation system, no auto assist parking, no power tailgate. In addtion the OUtback is noisy as all get out. The heat/AC fan is so loud you can't hear the radio. Road noise is loud as well. Gas mileage is 5-7 MPG below what is advertised. Not exactly the best choice in the $35K-$40K price range.

Excellent except HK Audio/Nav system
By anavig8r on 02/13/14 12:17 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I agree with all points of the review by cmlsudbury. I've got the dark interior and it does show every mark, especially where shoes hit the door panels. Not sure this would happen in other cars with similar color scheme. I hate the AUDIO/NAV system. I wanted the backup camera and you had to get the AUDIO/NAV to get the camera. I feel totally ripped off for the price paid for this upgrade vs the value received. Software upgrade had better be a warranty item. Only 7500 miles so early days on reliability. Dinged Interior Design and Value because of the audio/nav system.

Going from full size truck to outback = Good
By bigdavenh on 01/27/14 13:02 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am a student that has to travel 425 miles round trip per week from home to school. I previously had a full size pick up truck and I can not be happier with the switch to the Subaru. I live in Northern NH and the outback is great in the snow/ice and handles well on the highway. I have been averaging 25-27mpg highway but I suspect it mostly has to do with the terrain. I am 6'3" and am not skinny by any means. 17,000 miles in 5 months and have been very happy so far

Great except for black interior and NAV system
By cmlsudbury on 12/28/13 15:46 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very good in all respects EXCEPT 1) the choice of interior (both light and dark show every single mark, especially along door where low entry almost guarantees your toes will mark the lower door panel) and 2) the AUDIO/NAV systems (which are easily the least-intuitive and most frustrating interfaces I have ever used in my life). They are so bad that they deserves a recall to fix the software

Not as good as I had hoped for.
By sknaffl4 on 12/23/13 10:26 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This Outback is my first Subaru, and sadly, it will probably be my last. I had high expectations for this car considering the excellent reviews from prior models, but now that I've got 40,000 miles on it, I'm not impressed. It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles, which Subaru says is normal. There is a constant vibration at hwy speeds that is NOT tire related. There are large gaps in the body panels, and the hatch doesn't even line up...indicating poor build quality. The seat is already starting to deform, and I'm not a big person. There is a constant rattle on deceleration, and the stock stereo speakers are probably the worst I've ever seen.

Good Basic Transportation after 20k miles just OK
By electricvette on 12/21/13 14:42 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I tell every one I do not like it for the following reasons. 1. The front seat will not go full horizontal so my wife has two towels in the back. 2. road noise is terrible. 3. heavy steering... its like they put the smallest freek'n power steering pump in to get better gas mileage and you have to work the wheel on trips. 4. radio knobs are not log enough. 5 poor ride comfort. MY GMC Denali rides soooo much better than this. 6. seat comfort is poor. Will not be a repeat customer. Looking for something quieter on my next car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$132 per month*