Used 2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Cross between a Wagon and an SUV
By Stephen Aronson

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great solid reliable comfortable safe all weather AWD vehicle with lots of cargo space.
Not a sports car but also not a minivan. Getting over 30 MPG on the highway.

After owning a Lexus RX, this car surpasses
By Robert Krieger

2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned Lexus and Mercedes SUV/s this car surpasses them in value and resale. Dependable and tough as nails. Even runs on regular fuel instead of premium like my Lexus Volvo and Mercedes. I have always kept a Volvo wagon in my household, but this car has toppled Volvo from consideration. In fact, it was $15K cheaper than the comparable Volvo wagon with free maintenance for 2 years, including tires and oil changes!!! I am a new fan of the Outback!! Killer reliability and incredible resale to boot. No brainer.

I LOVE my Subaru
By Brenda

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Try it and you will LOVE it! Amazing! Best car I have ever had!!!

great car bad mpg
By Joe

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Love the car, hate the fuel mileage. After 25000 miless it droped about 5mpg both city and highway. Now it goes from day to day what you will get. Most of the time city23 hyw 27. Best city 26 hyw 34. Last 5000 miles I averaged 23.2.

This is our third outback in a row AND OUR LAST!
By J.W. Hubbard

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Be very aware before buying/trading for this model outback. We started with a 1996 - overall slightly above average car. Traded, after fighting with a dealer (First Team Subaru of Roanoke, Virginia) off & on for several years about all the trouble we had (loud grinding noises) with the front left brake/hub/rotor. Next was a 2004 outback from a dealer in Houston, Texas. Sure would like to have that car back. But, sadly, my wife was in a wreck shortly after we moved to Hot Springs, Arkansas in 2012 - a no fault accident, but the other driver was never charged with anything. Totaled! Not long thereafter we made the mistake of buying our 3rd outback from Riverside Subaru of Little Rock,Arkansas. Yet another uncaring dealer. Told them, after allowing time for break-in, of the pitiful mileage the '13 was getting - 18 in town, 22 on road, obviously 20 combined. Imagine our delight when we brought this up to the dealership & the response was "You think that's bad, mine gets worse than that.". And that is ALL they offered on the subject. Based on purchase date, the car is technically 40 months old & has only 25,000 miles on it (Hot Springs is small). But, as soon as the 5 year power train warranty has expired, we will be looking to trade for a BIG SUV - couldn't be much worse, if any. Also, the '13 has smaller cargo area than the last 2 outbacks, due to enlarging back seat room. The car does run fairly well for the most part, in it's defense, but I fear the stinking CVT is doing the gas mileage in - just can't prove it. No other real concerns worth mentioning. Thanks for bearing with me.