What's not to like?
By swtracker on
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
We researched for a long time, driving nearly 20 vehicles over 9 months before deciding on this model. On the road it is extremely quiet. I like the leg and headroom and the fit and finish is remarkable. I have been averaging 28 MPG overall with the CVT and am really surprised by that. While the Outback is not considered a SUV, it has almost the same cargo space as our Mid-sized SUV. We live in the mountains and have found the AWD to be very adequate for rough forest service roads and it was able to get through 8 inches of snow with the standard factory highyway tires.
Favorite Features
AWD, leg and head room, fit and finish. size, gas mileage, quiet ride, easy access. Homelink for the electric gate and garage were very easy to program. wq2The rear backup camera works very well even at night. The quick acceleration is amazing for such a small engine and even handles mountain passes with ease when loaded. The tail gate latch opens with just a touch.
Suggested Improvements
We have had a lot of vehicles, SUVs, trucks, vans, luxury and sports cars, buying one each 2 years. Overall we are impressed with the build quality, ride and economy. If Subaru would build a truck or large SUV we would give it consideration to replace our mid-sized SUV. Several of our friends have driven Subarus for decades and even the older models seem extremely reliable and durable. Possibly the only improvement I would appreciate is the addition of a couple small storage pockets for smart phone, sunglasses, Glock, etc, and bigger storage pockets for the back seat passengers. The cargo area could use a couple storage spaces with small doors.
By moosemeat
on 01/18/12 09:21 AM (PST)

The seats!!! I don't like the seats! No thigh support. Test drove both the Outback cloth and leather seats, and the Forester cloth and leather seats. Horrible thigh support and lateral support, in my humble opinion. Other than the seats, I love these cars...however...I decided on a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited Turbo. I know, completely different car, but those seats are what made me opt for something different.