Nice Car, Poor Gas Mileage
By suboutback12 on
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I purchased my new Outback a few days ago. It drives nicely and has decent acceleration. I have noticed that the car has a shudder when shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive. I hope it goes away. I also have been getting about 18-19 mpg combined under normal driving conditions. I do not gun the pedal and do not have a lead foot. Why am I getting such poor gas mileage? I hope it improves, but so far it sucks.
Favorite Features
Car offers good value for the money. Seems to be decent build quality. Hopefully the transmission improves. Love the bluetooth audio streaming. Voice quality from my cell through the car is CRYSTAL clear and a pleasure to use. The ride is firm and smooth.
Suggested Improvements
GAS MILEAGE SUCKS. Transmission is jerky when shifting from park/reverse to drive. My brakes seems to be acting funny, like they are catching at times as I begin to slow. One other thing that annoys me....this is a family car. At the price point for a limited, the hatch should have a power lift function. This seems like a pretty standard option on a top of the line vehicle...why Subaru has omitted it is beyond me.
By zeffer51
on 05/05/12 17:53 PM (PDT)

I had a 2006 Outback (2.5i)and the mileage was disappointing until I hit about 20,000 miles then magically it improved dramatically so that I was meeting and sometimes exceeding the EPA sticker. I can't explain it, maybe the engine needed that much breaking in. My mileage did improve with age. I just traded that car in for a brand new OB 3.6R so we'll see what happens with that. I've only put about 50 miles on it so far, I will post details soon. So far I'm loving the extra space.

By samp12
on 10/31/13 15:03 PM (PDT)

Any updates on your poor MPG? I get 15-16 same 4cyl 2012 engine with 9k. Thanks!

By lyka
on 02/25/12 05:41 AM (PST)

It should improve. My 2010 Outback Limited 2.5l gets around 23-25 city and on trips has gotten from 31 to 35, but usually around 32. I am impressed with the mileage for the size of the car.

By juan8a
on 02/02/12 11:40 AM (PST)

I have to totally agree with your review GAS MILEAGE SUCKS. I've got really upset last Sunday when I read an add from my local Subaru dealer advertising 34 MPG. I am not an agresive driver but for the first 500 miles on my Outback (all of them done on the city), I had less than 17 miles a gallong on average. So last Tuesday I took the car to the dealership and they agreed that this behavior is not normal. However, they have not been able to find a root cause or anything wrong with the car that could cause this poor performance. The service department mentioned that it will take few thousand miles until the car displays its best fuel economy and argue that the winter time can be worst for fuel consumption. Since I like the car I cool down and decided to keep track on my fuel consumption until spring and then the car will be evaluated once again. I certainly hope that things change dramatically at that point