2012 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Excellent do-it-all machine

2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Premium Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Excellent do-it-all machine
By lashleroux15 on

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just purchased a 2012 Premium 2.5i with moonroof package. This replaced a 2008 nissan altima because I just needed more trunk/carry space but decent mileage. I compared it to the Equinox/Terrain twins plus others. After looking at all the options, the Subaru had the best overall package for my needs. Drives great and is very comfortable. Mileage is good (averaging 26 MPG in mixed driving). Back seat is actually bigger than my Altima (fits 3 kids easily) yet takes up the same space in the garage. AWD is excellent (works great in snow so far) with no worries about grip. Handling dynamics are good for the higher stance....

AWD, all-weather package (heated cloth seats are a must in northern/cold climates!!) Storage space in back Driving dynamics and CVT.....don't leave you wanting an upshift. Backup camera in rear-view mirror, very nice with kids around.

Bluetooth is horrible (came stock on my model). Subaru should be ashamed that you can't use the voice recognition on your phone (or access it's addressbook).......inexcusable in 2012. My phone's voice capabilities are miles ahead of the subaru bluetooth setup. For that alone I am considering yanking the whole radio and putting in aftermarket. Work on reducing the engine noise inside the cabin.....it's a quirk with that flat 4 of subaru but can still get noticeable at times. Notice I'm nitpicking......overall these things are not even close to "showstoppers"