2012 Outback Limited Very Good But Noisy
By sharon61 on
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I leased my Outback 33 days ago thanks to Subaru's rewarding customer loyalty program and a great price from our local dealer. I love the moderate size and stylish exterior design and wheels, as well as the luxurious interior's heated leather seats and faux wood trim. The Harman Kardon stereo is great as is the Bluetooth connectivity feature between my cell phone and the stereo. Not having taken an extended trip yet, I'm averaging 23.7 mpg in a combination of city and highway driving (no lead feet) here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My biggest complaint is that the Outback is noisy, no doubt due to the boxer engine and CVT, but no vehicle with the word "Limited' in its name should be noisy.
Favorite Features
1. Good looking exterior including the wheels, 2. Comfortable, luxurious interior including the faux wood trim, 3. Great Harman Kardon stereo, 4. Hands-free Bluetooth connectivity feature, 5. Top safety rating from IIHS, 6. Good local miles per gallon (23.7 average after 1250 miles or so) and anticipated 30+ mpg on extended trips.
Suggested Improvements
Subaru engineers need to pay more attention to NVH, specifically the noisy boxer engine/CVT combination which makes itself heard when accelerating to get on the interstate for example AND when climbing s grade, which is a constant experience here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. No vehicle with 'Limited' in its name should be this noisy---spend a little money on sound insulation around the drivetrain, Subaru. A minor irritation is the overengineered hill assist switch installed, no doubt, to calm drivers who've never driven either a CVT or a true manual transmission and experienced a little roll back as you accelerate up a hill from a standing start---Really???