2012 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Not great
By nothappy9919 on 12/29/12 10:55 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the only new car I have owned where I received 2 apologies from Dealer or service companies. After about 2000miles, I complained about transmission noise and the mechanic from the dealer apologized and said your stuck with it. At 12000mi, the front seat bolsters are going bad and the upholstory shop i was sent to by the dealer apologized, indicated Subaru is aware of the problem, that along with the hard to clean cloth seat covers. Subaru of America says they never heard of it so now starts the mess over warranty and for how long. The car is otherwise ok but far below what I expected

Love my Outback
By gms4868 on 10/11/12 10:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After nearly 20 years of exclusively buying and leasing Nissans and one month into a 2012 Outback 2.5i limited, I couldn't be more pleased. The vehicle is very comfortable and nicely appointed and fit and finish is excellent. Granted, the pickup for the 4 cylinder engine isn't the best, but it gets you up to whatever speed at which you're comfortable and easily keeps up with the traffic flow. Don't know what the steering "wander" fuss is about, as the R&P system results in a sure-handling sports car feel. Moreover, overall fuel economy in the first month of driving has run from 25.5 to as much as 29.5 mpg over the course of two 600 mile NYS thruway round-trips and local driving.

great car
By 67celtic on 10/09/12 14:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 16000 miles, no problem with my wife's 2012 outback. No problem on the highway at high speeds. Great car, different ride than our 05 outback.

Happy With 2012....Should we have waited for '13?
By rayjayjjr on 09/19/12 18:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Our first AWD, now with 4500 miles. Needed something that had towing capacity and could pull 2000 lb. boat out of steep sandy boat launch. Certainly fits those needs with added plus of 31 mpg at 70 mph and 27 suburban with AC off. Will drop a couple mpg with AC. Does have an issue with steering drift. I don't think I would want a stiffer ride. This handles reasonably and soaks up wash board roads better than our soft riding minivan. Seats are somewhat hard. Engine and tran will roar at hard acceleration but is quiet at cruising speed. You may want to upgrade to model with power passenger seat.

Poor Design, workmanship, and service
By keigzdad on 09/14/12 20:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2012 Outback passenger side seat molding has fallen off four (4) times. We have to drive 150 miles round trip to have it serviced. Last time it was "fixed" it had fallen off by time we arrived back home. Today we received a call from Karen Quinn at Subaru USA asking us to cancel our saturday appointment and reschedule for Tuesday because that is when their district manager is available. Seriously!? My wife is a COO for a health system and I am a university professor. Since when do we have to facilitate YOUR needs Subaru? Shouldn't you and your district manager facilitate OURS?

Disappointed
By bellet98 on 09/04/12 08:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I went from a 2006 Altima to a Subaru Outback wagon. I loved my altima, hate the subaru. The ride is horrible. I recently went on a 2 hour trip and my leg cramped up trying to keep my foot on the gas pedal. The gas pedal is extremely tiny and high and very hard to depress. I can't seem to get the seat adjusted to be comfortable and still be able to reach the pedal. The hard button is smack dab in the middle of the console so you accidently hit it all the time. Radio controls are also not very user friendly. My biggest complaint tho is how uncomfortable this car is to drive, especially on long trips.

wanderer
By jpr6 on 08/22/12 08:00 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

we purchased this new 2012 outback with the consumer reports recommendation. i wander if any one checked this car instability at highway speeds. this car drifts over the roadway and is tiring to drive especially for an older person. it requires both hands on the wheel and constant attention ,especially if there is a windy condition, then it is really off the charts. to compound this problem is the confusing operation of the various controls to perform various operations while driving this drifter at highway speeds 50-65

2012 Subaru Outback Moon Roof Leaks
By goalkik753 on 08/20/12 05:54 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

A car wash revealed a leak at the rear seal of our 2012 Subaru Outback Limited. The leak was enough to splash over the small gutter system below the rear seal and onto the passenger seat. It's designed to be able to pop up for ventilation or slide down and into the roof of the vehicle when full open. In order to do this the rear seal sits loosely against the roof lip. I have had two automobiles with moonroofs before this (a Chevrolet and a Ford). Neither one was designed this poorly. I have tested the seal by pooring a bottle of water on it and it still leaks in 4 spots at a continuous drip rate. I can't leave my vehicle parked outside untill Subaru comes up with a fix.

The Wanderer
By wil12345 on 05/25/12 09:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car would be perfect if it would only track down the road. This is our 6th Subaru and all the previous Outbacks drove fine. We have had it aligned 3 times, the rack and pinion has been adjusted, but the steering wheel will not return to center when traveling on the highway. Because of this, the car needs constant correction to drive in a straight line. We only have 2700 miles on it and if this problem can't be resolved, this car will be gone and it will be our last Subaru.

The Outback, great choice in this segment
By lou90 on 05/22/12 15:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I own the wagon 2.5 with CVT and I can say that I’m very happy with my purchase. With over 3 K right now, I haven’t found anything that I don’t like or didn’t expect in a “Wagon”-SUV in this segment. I almost go for the new 2012 Honda CRV, but I don’t regret my decision. It’s solid and comfortable, enough room in both front and rear seat, plenty of cargo space, has style and a great history of reliability. A little noisy because of the CVT, but I could live with that as long as I’m getting fuel efficiency and this seems to be the case since I’ve been averaging (mostly highway) from 27 to 31 MPG not bad if you consider the size of this car and that many times you can’t drive at less than 70 miles on NJ highways, otherwise they run over you. I’ve been to several shows where I was able to see and compare others SUV like Toyota Venza or RAV4, the CRV, or the Forester , I’m glad I chose the Outback. I highly recommend it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon in NJ is:

$186 per month*