Used 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love my Outback
By gms4868

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After nearly 20 years of exclusively buying and leasing Nissans and one month into a 2012 Outback 2.5i limited, I couldn't be more pleased. The vehicle is very comfortable and nicely appointed and fit and finish is excellent. Granted, the pickup for the 4 cylinder engine isn't the best, but it gets you up to whatever speed at which you're comfortable and easily keeps up with the traffic flow. Don't know what the steering "wander" fuss is about, as the R&P system results in a sure-handling sports car feel. Moreover, overall fuel economy in the first month of driving has run from 25.5 to as much as 29.5 mpg over the course of two 600 mile NYS thruway round-trips and local driving.

Styling Fit and finish Comfort Fuel economy

None at this time

2012 New Outback Limited 2.5
By oldhollow

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just got the Limited 2.5 with sunroof, naviagtion and Iím really impressed with the fit and finish of the car. Everything works as designed, and the quality of the paint is excellent. I am coming from an 2008 MDX that had a terrible paint job from the factory, the paint was very thin and would mark very easily. I got the car for the gas millage and was concerned that I would not have enough power. That is not the car, no need for the 3.6 for me.

My favorite features are the roof rack with bars that fold out when needed and neatly fold back when not in use also, the electronic parking brake and the remote start. The car is a great value!

I am disappointed at some of the usual features that the car does not have in this price category, especially being a limited. These include, power rear hatch, memory driver seat, power adjustable steering wheel, MAINTENACE REMINDER, heated steering wheel, rain sensor wipers, and rear seat heat vents.

New Subaru Owner
By 1gman

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just purchased a 2012 OB Limited with the sunroof package. The car seems to be great so far, my wife loves it. I like the look and performance of it. She came out of a 98 Volvo wagon. She wanted a wagon again so that limited the choices. We narrowed it down between the Venza and the OB. Toyota was difficult to work with, would never call me back so I gave up on them and bought the OB. I will update in a month or two about how it is doing. I got the car for about $450 below invoice through the Costco auto program which made the process much easier.

Ride height, view of road.

None at this time

2012 Outback Limited Very Good But Noisy
By sharon61

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I leased my Outback 33 days ago thanks to Subaru's rewarding customer loyalty program and a great price from our local dealer. I love the moderate size and stylish exterior design and wheels, as well as the luxurious interior's heated leather seats and faux wood trim. The Harman Kardon stereo is great as is the Bluetooth connectivity feature between my cell phone and the stereo. Not having taken an extended trip yet, I'm averaging 23.7 mpg in a combination of city and highway driving (no lead feet) here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My biggest complaint is that the Outback is noisy, no doubt due to the boxer engine and CVT, but no vehicle with the word "Limited' in its name should be noisy.

1. Good looking exterior including the wheels, 2. Comfortable, luxurious interior including the faux wood trim, 3. Great Harman Kardon stereo, 4. Hands-free Bluetooth connectivity feature, 5. Top safety rating from IIHS, 6. Good local miles per gallon (23.7 average after 1250 miles or so) and anticipated 30+ mpg on extended trips.

Subaru engineers need to pay more attention to NVH, specifically the noisy boxer engine/CVT combination which makes itself heard when accelerating to get on the interstate for example AND when climbing s grade, which is a constant experience here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. No vehicle with 'Limited' in its name should be this noisy---spend a little money on sound insulation around the drivetrain, Subaru. A minor irritation is the overengineered hill assist switch installed, no doubt, to calm drivers who've never driven either a CVT or a true manual transmission and experienced a little roll back as you accelerate up a hill from a standing start---Really???

Nice Car, Poor Gas Mileage
By suboutback12

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my new Outback a few days ago. It drives nicely and has decent acceleration. I have noticed that the car has a shudder when shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive. I hope it goes away. I also have been getting about 18-19 mpg combined under normal driving conditions. I do not gun the pedal and do not have a lead foot. Why am I getting such poor gas mileage? I hope it improves, but so far it sucks.

Car offers good value for the money. Seems to be decent build quality. Hopefully the transmission improves. Love the bluetooth audio streaming. Voice quality from my cell through the car is CRYSTAL clear and a pleasure to use. The ride is firm and smooth.

GAS MILEAGE SUCKS. Transmission is jerky when shifting from park/reverse to drive. My brakes seems to be acting funny, like they are catching at times as I begin to slow. One other thing that annoys me....this is a family car. At the price point for a limited, the hatch should have a power lift function. This seems like a pretty standard option on a top of the line vehicle...why Subaru has omitted it is beyond me.