2012 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Best family car ever
By rkymtnhi on 01/03/13 16:37 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We now have about 13,200 miles on our Outback. Mostly been used for toting the kids to school, events and all the other household chores. We took it on a trip from Colorado to Minnesota over the holidays. First opportunity to drive on icy and snowy roads. The car is great in these conditions. Regarding MPGs. We average 28-32 in normal highway and byway roads. On the highway to MN with a fully loaded car, we dropped to 24-25 MPG with a fully loaded car going mostly about 75MPH. On the way back, I added a Thule 1600 Ascent for extra cargo space and dropped about 1-2 MPG more. There was a lot of wind in Iowa and Nebraska so it's hard to tell how bad the damage was from the cargo carrier.

Poor Gas Mileage
By jayarobinson79 on 12/31/12 08:46 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love my subaru outback but the only issue is that I get 21-23 mpg and I mostly drive highways. My dealer acknowledges the low mpg but says it is within specs. Other than that, the car is great to drive, comfortable on long trips, and the kids enjoy the ride.

Horrible technology...
By colonative on 12/30/12 20:50 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this Outback in March. I travel a lot for work. I currently have over 22,000 miles on ths 2012.I purchased this vehicle for the mileage. It has met ALL of those expectations. I average 29 to 30 mph. I have EVERY option available HOWEVER, the technology is HORRIBLE! I have the GPS, top of the line electronics. The bluetooth is marginal (I don't use it anymore) I use 4000 minutes a month on my cell phone. The steering wheel controls will NOT let you switch to the next preprogrammed station on the XM. It takes you to the next station, but NOT the ones you have saved. You have to reach up and touch the screen. The voice controls are terrible as well.

Disappointed
By bellet98 on 09/04/12 08:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I went from a 2006 Altima to a Subaru Outback wagon. I loved my altima, hate the subaru. The ride is horrible. I recently went on a 2 hour trip and my leg cramped up trying to keep my foot on the gas pedal. The gas pedal is extremely tiny and high and very hard to depress. I can't seem to get the seat adjusted to be comfortable and still be able to reach the pedal. The hard button is smack dab in the middle of the console so you accidently hit it all the time. Radio controls are also not very user friendly. My biggest complaint tho is how uncomfortable this car is to drive, especially on long trips.

2012 Subaru Outback Moon Roof Leaks
By goalkik753 on 08/20/12 05:54 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

A car wash revealed a leak at the rear seal of our 2012 Subaru Outback Limited. The leak was enough to splash over the small gutter system below the rear seal and onto the passenger seat. It's designed to be able to pop up for ventilation or slide down and into the roof of the vehicle when full open. In order to do this the rear seal sits loosely against the roof lip. I have had two automobiles with moonroofs before this (a Chevrolet and a Ford). Neither one was designed this poorly. I have tested the seal by pooring a bottle of water on it and it still leaks in 4 spots at a continuous drip rate. I can't leave my vehicle parked outside untill Subaru comes up with a fix.

The Wanderer
By wil12345 on 05/25/12 09:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car would be perfect if it would only track down the road. This is our 6th Subaru and all the previous Outbacks drove fine. We have had it aligned 3 times, the rack and pinion has been adjusted, but the steering wheel will not return to center when traveling on the highway. Because of this, the car needs constant correction to drive in a straight line. We only have 2700 miles on it and if this problem can't be resolved, this car will be gone and it will be our last Subaru.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$111 per month*