Used 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Engine Blew at 107,000
By Jody Miller

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Car is just 3 years old, all highway driving. Followed maintenance schedule, last service for timing belt, 105,000 requested to do diagnostic testing and check engine carefully for my friend same car and year transmission went. One month later no signs or warning, when driving, dash board lights came on, pulled over and within 5 minutes the coolant poorer out, had towed and told that engine, radiator, valves, engine shot. needs a total rebuilt. Have a compliant in with Subura , told that this happen, not often, but car millage over warranty. How many people even have their car paid off by 3 years, costly repair, wish I could just get rid of the car, not great for resale either. Will see if Subrura pulls through and helps?!

Over achiever
By 340beeper72

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had our Outback three years now. Piled up almost 20K miles per year. No serious complaints. Does a great job hauling around our family of four plus two dogs.
Around town fuel economy is really good. Never gets below 20 mpg. Performance is surprisingly good considering the modest 175 hp rating. The CVT transmission does a good job getting the most from the engines without revving the snot out of it. Typically gets high 20s mpg on the highway, and occasionally low 30s through flat terrain.
AWD works as well as you'd expect in the winter. Pretty much unstoppable.
One thing sorely missing on this vehicle is an auto lift gate.

Economy. Unstoppable AWD. Value.

Auto lift gate. Rear seat hvac control. Rear reading lights.

Best family car ever
By rkymtnhi

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We now have about 13,200 miles on our Outback. Mostly been used for toting the kids to school, events and all the other household chores. We took it on a trip from Colorado to Minnesota over the holidays. First opportunity to drive on icy and snowy roads. The car is great in these conditions. Regarding MPGs. We average 28-32 in normal highway and byway roads. On the highway to MN with a fully loaded car, we dropped to 24-25 MPG with a fully loaded car going mostly about 75MPH. On the way back, I added a Thule 1600 Ascent for extra cargo space and dropped about 1-2 MPG more. There was a lot of wind in Iowa and Nebraska so it's hard to tell how bad the damage was from the cargo carrier.

The family loves this car. It suits our everyday lifestyle with sports, event, school and everything else perfectly.

N/A

Poor Gas Mileage
By jayarobinson79

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love my subaru outback but the only issue is that I get 21-23 mpg and I mostly drive highways. My dealer acknowledges the low mpg but says it is within specs. Other than that, the car is great to drive, comfortable on long trips, and the kids enjoy the ride.

Style, control of the vehicle in bad weather, and storage.

MPG needs to be better and the Nav system could use improvement.

Horrible technology...
By colonative

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this Outback in March. I travel a lot for work. I currently have over 22,000 miles on ths 2012.I purchased this vehicle for the mileage. It has met ALL of those expectations. I average 29 to 30 mph. I have EVERY option available HOWEVER, the technology is HORRIBLE!
I have the GPS, top of the line electronics. The bluetooth is marginal (I don't use it anymore)
I use 4000 minutes a month on my cell phone. The steering wheel controls will NOT let you switch to the next preprogrammed station on the XM. It takes you to the next station, but NOT the ones you have saved. You have to reach up and touch the screen. The voice controls are terrible as well.

For safety sake you can not make any changes at all to your play list while driving. I have to unplug device choose song then plug back in. Rearview mirror is mounted to low, I am constantly bending down to look though the windsheild. I drive a lot and buy a vehicle EVERY year, this will be the last Subura for me. DO NOT buy into the technology. The car is good in the snow and the mileage is as reported.

Fix the technology!!! My wife has 2010 Honda Accord, the technology is the same as the Acura. It works great! Improve the technology, The GPS is a waste. It needs to be user friendly. Move the interior mirror higher, the visibilty in this vehicle needs to be addressed. No I DO NOT work for another car manufacturer.