2012 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Happy With 2012....Should we have waited for '13?
By rayjayjjr on 09/19/12 18:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Our first AWD, now with 4500 miles. Needed something that had towing capacity and could pull 2000 lb. boat out of steep sandy boat launch. Certainly fits those needs with added plus of 31 mpg at 70 mph and 27 suburban with AC off. Will drop a couple mpg with AC. Does have an issue with steering drift. I don't think I would want a stiffer ride. This handles reasonably and soaks up wash board roads better than our soft riding minivan. Seats are somewhat hard. Engine and tran will roar at hard acceleration but is quiet at cruising speed. You may want to upgrade to model with power passenger seat.

they don't make them like they used to
By subienut on 03/01/12 17:37 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Just bought my 5th subaru wagon. My 2003 is getting a bit rattly, and my 17 yr old needed a car, so for the first time, I didn't have a valuable subaru trade in, but she has a great car. In fact, every time I see that car, or others of that vintage, I feel a twinge of sadness. Those were the good ones! The 2012 doesn't have the same zippy pick up, the six speed has very short ratios in lower speeds, they don't offer a manual in the best edition, so had to add after market leather seats and interior wood trim, but these don't really look so hot. Handles like an SUV, interior is not well designed at all, and the dog barrier is a dangerous, clunky contraption that could injure a dog!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$111 per month*