Used 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

The good and the bad
By sailormex

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Car new in feb of 2012. I had ordered the 4 cyl but ever came on promised delivery date. After going to the dealer to complain about the non fulfillment I drove the 4 cyl model again on hills and found it seriously underpowered, deciding to take the 6 cyl model. At first this car was great (1 month). Then I had to make an emergency lane change and almost lost control of the vehicle. After 16 months I almost lost control of this vehicle 4 times, and decided to sell before getting hurt or worse. This car is very quiet and smooth, and is great if you drive REALLY slow. The engine and tranny are the best I've ever had (I've driven Audi, VW, Mercedes, jeeps and more) the

Suspension is horrible and dangerous on mountains and winding roads. Car rattled after 2 month a lot ( suspension and door panels. The dealer cold not fix rattle in the suspension and said it was normal. Between the rattles car and suspension and not feeling safe I sold the vehicle and went back to German vehicle. Also the moonroof broke after 3 month and 3 days of shop time. Advise: buy this car if you like to drive very slow and you be happy if you don't care about rattles. Highway driving is a challenge you always need to adjust the wheel since there is "no center" unless you drive under 65 mph you won't notice it.

Like: engine , transmission, radio system, sound streaming, quietness, smooth ride, soft leather feel Dislike : loose uncontrolled suspension, build quality, seats not comfortable, reliability (3 times in shop for check engine light ) Sold vehicle w 19k miles mix driving 23.1 mpg overall

Thought I loved my Murano but really love the Outback
By uscrph

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD with 20 inch wheels/navigation and all the upgrades. I had 60,000 miles but had issues with the electronic system from nearly the first year of ownership. It was the best driving SUV I have had and was supper loaded and nice --- the big problem was it was dependable with being able to crank it up due to dead batteries - suspect from all of the electronic gadgets placing drain on the car all of the time. Decided to go with the 2012 Subaru which was 6 months old and had 22,000 miles on it from one driver. The car was in almost new condition from front to back. Getting 24 mpg average for both city/highway traffic which is right in line with the specs.

I didn't think I would like the wagon styling but it has grown on me and is what I would describe as being timeless with its rugid looks. It is one of those cars that when you get in that you can tell it is made well. Test drove the 4 cyl and did not have enough power so went with the 6 cyl and plenty of power. The ride is like a car except that you sit up much like many of the smaller SUV's which gives good visibility. The on dislike is that I have trouble looking back to the right if the car is sitting at an angle with oncoming traffic. You just have to be able to turn around in the seat to make sure no one is coming to be safe. Use the blue tooth for phone and music w/no problems

The only improvement would be a potential redesign of the side mirrors to help with the angle traffic that may come toward the car at some intersections. The bass in my audio system is on of the best and I have had Bose and systems form Lexus, Acura, and others. I would like a little bigger or deeper center console. Overall I really don't have complaints.

Poor Design, workmanship, and service
By keigzdad

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2012 Outback passenger side seat molding has fallen off four (4) times. We have to drive 150 miles round trip to have it serviced. Last time it was "fixed" it had fallen off by time we arrived back home. Today we received a call from Karen Quinn at Subaru USA asking us to cancel our saturday appointment and reschedule for Tuesday because that is when their district manager is available. Seriously!? My wife is a COO for a health system and I am a university professor. Since when do we have to facilitate YOUR needs Subaru? Shouldn't you and your district manager facilitate OURS?

Sirius radio - everything else is plastic and crap.

Fix the design, workmanship, and customer service on the seat moldings. More than ONE clip and some super glue maybe!?

Harmon Kardon USB port - what should it be able to play
By zeffer51

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a brand new 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited with the Harmon Kardon upgraded audio system. I tested the USB port at the dealer with a memory stick that has lots of computer files and few audio files. The audio kept cutting out. Now I own the car so I purchased a new 8GB USB flash drive and copied only a few audio files to it. But it's doing the same thing. It plays for about 5 sec then cuts out, then plays a little and then cuts out. It does this sitting in the drive way so it can't be due to bumps. Anyone know if this system is supposed to play files on a regular USB thumb drive? It almost plays them so I figure it was designed to do so.

Don't Buy a Subaru!
By leodog1

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Car has more blind spots than Hellen Keller! A death trap on wheels. Minor dent in rear finder costs $2K to repair! Gimmic rear view camera -- doesn't help backing at all. Grossly overpriced. Stay away from Subaru at all costs!!!!! Rattles like my Grandmother! Expect it to come apart at any minute. 5 months old and 2 recalls already. Replaced the new sunroof already! No free oil changes! God, what a mistake I made buying this thing! Never again!

There is nothing to recommend this car!

Fill with dirt and use as a planter!