Used 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Great country vehilce
By Thor Thorleifson

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Driven 100,000 km (60,000# miles) in 2 years 4 months, half highway/half gravel & dirt roads & rocky cattle pastures, hasn't missed a beat. Seats are comfortable, controls are great, Sat radio / stereo are great though the knobs and display screen are cheap.

Favorite Features

Warm weather gas mileage very good, cold weather not so good, but still better than my last van. Inspires many compliments. CVT is smooth and unobtrusive. Lots of headroom for 6 feet +. Lots of room in both seats and back.

Suggested Improvements

Radio knobs small and slippery, stereo display small and basic, but the sound is good, that's the main thing.

Over achiever
By 340beeper72

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had our Outback three years now. Piled up almost 20K miles per year. No serious complaints. Does a great job hauling around our family of four plus two dogs. Around town fuel economy is really good. Never gets below 20 mpg. Performance is surprisingly good considering the modest 175 hp rating. The CVT transmission does a good job getting the most from the engines without revving the snot out of it. Typically gets high 20s mpg on the highway, and occasionally low 30s through flat terrain. AWD works as well as you'd expect in the winter. Pretty much unstoppable. One thing sorely missing on this vehicle is an auto lift gate.

Favorite Features

Economy. Unstoppable AWD. Value.

Suggested Improvements

Auto lift gate. Rear seat hvac control. Rear reading lights.

Do not buy this car
By 2012outback

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car has a 60,000 transmission warranty. Our transmission needs to be replaced at 67,000 miles. The car is less than 2 years old and the mileage is all highway miles. I could not recommend this vehicle to anyone. When the transmission went out I was on the highway with children in the car. I cannot express how horrifying this experience was. Don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

A reliable engine. Transmissions that last past 60,000 miles There is no thought to safety if a transmission cannot last past 60,000 miles or two years. We were in the car with children on a very busy highway when the car could not drive forward! anymore on a incline. We were fortunate not to have crashed. Not every driver would have the military background to handle this situation.

All purpose vehicle
By ken90004

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Owned for two year, have 36k miles. I had no complaints about the car at all. Good gas mileage. I towed trailers and a camper with it with no issues. It is great in the snow and bad weather. Best AWD system out there in this price range. And Subaru is dedicated to their customers. Top notch service all around. I spent a year of research before making my buying decision, and now as an owner, I will own nothing else but a Subaru.

Favorite Features

AWD system. Just look up YouTube. It does what other vehicles cannot. Suby AWD system was built for the car, not adopted and re-engineered to work, like many other crossovers. Also very roomy inside and plenty of cargo space. And can tow 2700 lbs, which is great for only a H4. Added a trailer kit and use a small cargo trailer all the time.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a stiffer rear end. It was designed to a car-like ride, which it does delivery, but I'd perfer a little more sporty ride. Or at least an option to dail in a stiff ride.

Not happy
By gideon2

2012 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I hate this car. Traded Grand Cherokee for new Outback 2.5 Premium. Car is running like cement mixer at low speeds. Can not adjust driver seat to be comfortable. After 30 minutes of driving seat is cutting of circulation in my leg and that is everyday struggle. Engine is noisy on highway and AC in summer is not so good. Gas mileage is as posted in manual.I canít wait to get rid of this car.

Favorite Features

Gas milage, trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise, transmission, breaks , DRIVER SEAT ADJUSTMENT