2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
The good and the bad
By sailormex on 07/15/13 01:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Car new in feb of 2012. I had ordered the 4 cyl but ever came on promised delivery date. After going to the dealer to complain about the non fulfillment I drove the 4 cyl model again on hills and found it seriously underpowered, deciding to take the 6 cyl model. At first this car was great (1 month). Then I had to make an emergency lane change and almost lost control of the vehicle. After 16 months I almost lost control of this vehicle 4 times, and decided to sell before getting hurt or worse. This car is very quiet and smooth, and is great if you drive REALLY slow. The engine and tranny are the best I've ever had (I've driven Audi, VW, Mercedes, jeeps and more) the

Thought I loved my Murano but really love the Outback
By uscrph on 05/08/13 19:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD with 20 inch wheels/navigation and all the upgrades. I had 60,000 miles but had issues with the electronic system from nearly the first year of ownership. It was the best driving SUV I have had and was supper loaded and nice --- the big problem was it was dependable with being able to crank it up due to dead batteries - suspect from all of the electronic gadgets placing drain on the car all of the time. Decided to go with the 2012 Subaru which was 6 months old and had 22,000 miles on it from one driver. The car was in almost new condition from front to back. Getting 24 mpg average for both city/highway traffic which is right in line with the specs.

Poor Design, workmanship, and service
By keigzdad on 09/14/12 20:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2012 Outback passenger side seat molding has fallen off four (4) times. We have to drive 150 miles round trip to have it serviced. Last time it was "fixed" it had fallen off by time we arrived back home. Today we received a call from Karen Quinn at Subaru USA asking us to cancel our saturday appointment and reschedule for Tuesday because that is when their district manager is available. Seriously!? My wife is a COO for a health system and I am a university professor. Since when do we have to facilitate YOUR needs Subaru? Shouldn't you and your district manager facilitate OURS?

Harmon Kardon USB port - what should it be able to play
By zeffer51 on 05/05/12 18:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a brand new 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited with the Harmon Kardon upgraded audio system. I tested the USB port at the dealer with a memory stick that has lots of computer files and few audio files. The audio kept cutting out. Now I own the car so I purchased a new 8GB USB flash drive and copied only a few audio files to it. But it's doing the same thing. It plays for about 5 sec then cuts out, then plays a little and then cuts out. It does this sitting in the drive way so it can't be due to bumps. Anyone know if this system is supposed to play files on a regular USB thumb drive? It almost plays them so I figure it was designed to do so.

Don't Buy a Subaru!
By leodog1 on 02/20/12 10:46 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Car has more blind spots than Hellen Keller! A death trap on wheels. Minor dent in rear finder costs $2K to repair! Gimmic rear view camera -- doesn't help backing at all. Grossly overpriced. Stay away from Subaru at all costs!!!!! Rattles like my Grandmother! Expect it to come apart at any minute. 5 months old and 2 recalls already. Replaced the new sunroof already! No free oil changes! God, what a mistake I made buying this thing! Never again!

nice car, poor audio system
By jefre on 01/21/12 14:40 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

bought this 2012 v-6 limited in october. provides good accelaration but body "roll" is significant and scary. the dash buttons are tiny and confusing to the eye. heater fan is so noisy. i had a subi in the 90's and liked it very much but it wasn't refined and poor sound system. i bought this w top of the line HK sound system which subi has promoted its excellance. well, its totally mediocre. i drive an hour each way to work and like a bit of music. its hard on the ear. also the ipod-usb has very limited function while you are driving. so if your on the highway you need stop the car to change artist or song etc. i just traded it in for a 4runner. im so happy now!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Outback in WA is:

$123 per month*