Used 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Happy With 2012....Should we have waited for '13?
By rayjayjjr

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Our first AWD, now with 4500 miles. Needed something that had towing capacity and could pull 2000 lb. boat out of steep sandy boat launch. Certainly fits those needs with added plus of 31 mpg at 70 mph and 27 suburban with AC off. Will drop a couple mpg with AC. Does have an issue with steering drift. I don't think I would want a stiffer ride. This handles reasonably and soaks up wash board roads better than our soft riding minivan. Seats are somewhat hard. Engine and tran will roar at hard acceleration but is quiet at cruising speed. You may want to upgrade to model with power passenger seat.

Towing capacity, gas mileage, rear leg room. Interior head room. Road clearance.

Center clock, temp, mpg readout is hard to read on sunny day. Option for power passenger seat at lower price levels. Gas cap on left side. Does 2013 have more interior color options? Our ivory seats and black carpet seems odd. Dual temp zones?

they don't make them like they used to
By subienut

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Just bought my 5th subaru wagon. My 2003 is getting a bit rattly, and my 17 yr old needed a car, so for the first time, I didn't have a valuable subaru trade in, but she has a great car. In fact, every time I see that car, or others of that vintage, I feel a twinge of sadness. Those were the good ones! The 2012 doesn't have the same zippy pick up, the six speed has very short ratios in lower speeds, they don't offer a manual in the best edition, so had to add after market leather seats and interior wood trim, but these don't really look so hot. Handles like an SUV, interior is not well designed at all, and the dog barrier is a dangerous, clunky contraption that could injure a dog!

harmon kardon stereo, electric lumbar support for driver side, exterior styling, AWD, Decent gas mileage when compared to other cars in the class. cargo room, back up camera

There are no cup holders in the rear, only ones in the doors!!! which are useless, and will lead to many a spill if kids ride back there. The handy cargo pocket behind the front seats is no longer on both sides, only on the passenger side, and holds almost nothing. The pet barrier does not fit to the edges. so my dogs will be trying to squeeze through, and also could get paws stuck in the brackets that hold it up from the floor level. I think that unfortunately, many dogs will be injured by this poor design.