2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Love my Outback
By gms4868 on 10/11/12 10:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After nearly 20 years of exclusively buying and leasing Nissans and one month into a 2012 Outback 2.5i limited, I couldn't be more pleased. The vehicle is very comfortable and nicely appointed and fit and finish is excellent. Granted, the pickup for the 4 cylinder engine isn't the best, but it gets you up to whatever speed at which you're comfortable and easily keeps up with the traffic flow. Don't know what the steering "wander" fuss is about, as the R&P system results in a sure-handling sports car feel. Moreover, overall fuel economy in the first month of driving has run from 25.5 to as much as 29.5 mpg over the course of two 600 mile NYS thruway round-trips and local driving.

2012 New Outback Limited 2.5
By oldhollow on 03/05/12 05:48 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just got the Limited 2.5 with sunroof, naviagtion and I’m really impressed with the fit and finish of the car. Everything works as designed, and the quality of the paint is excellent. I am coming from an 2008 MDX that had a terrible paint job from the factory, the paint was very thin and would mark very easily. I got the car for the gas millage and was concerned that I would not have enough power. That is not the car, no need for the 3.6 for me.

New Subaru Owner
By 1gman on 12/30/11 15:54 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just purchased a 2012 OB Limited with the sunroof package. The car seems to be great so far, my wife loves it. I like the look and performance of it. She came out of a 98 Volvo wagon. She wanted a wagon again so that limited the choices. We narrowed it down between the Venza and the OB. Toyota was difficult to work with, would never call me back so I gave up on them and bought the OB. I will update in a month or two about how it is doing. I got the car for about $450 below invoice through the Costco auto program which made the process much easier.

2012 Outback Limited Very Good But Noisy
By sharon61 on 12/21/11 07:25 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I leased my Outback 33 days ago thanks to Subaru's rewarding customer loyalty program and a great price from our local dealer. I love the moderate size and stylish exterior design and wheels, as well as the luxurious interior's heated leather seats and faux wood trim. The Harman Kardon stereo is great as is the Bluetooth connectivity feature between my cell phone and the stereo. Not having taken an extended trip yet, I'm averaging 23.7 mpg in a combination of city and highway driving (no lead feet) here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My biggest complaint is that the Outback is noisy, no doubt due to the boxer engine and CVT, but no vehicle with the word "Limited' in its name should be noisy.

Nice Car, Poor Gas Mileage
By suboutback12 on 12/10/11 17:21 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my new Outback a few days ago. It drives nicely and has decent acceleration. I have noticed that the car has a shudder when shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive. I hope it goes away. I also have been getting about 18-19 mpg combined under normal driving conditions. I do not gun the pedal and do not have a lead foot. Why am I getting such poor gas mileage? I hope it improves, but so far it sucks.

Beware Audio Issues
By dardanel on 11/29/11 08:36 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have purchased the vehicle based on excellent reviews and positive feedback from the owners that I have talked to who had the previous versions of this model. I have driven it only for 120 miles. I went for 2.5 engine for better gas mileage. I think 170hp is plenty. Breaking performance is good. Acceleration on hwy from 60 to 80 was good enough for this size engine. Acceleration from 0-60 could be better IMHO. Takes corners and curves very well. It sticks to the road. My only problem is the Audio Set. If you think audio in a car is important this model is not for you. Read more on suggested improvements.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$106 per month*