2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Over achiever
By 340beeper72 on 09/13/14 14:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had our Outback three years now. Piled up almost 20K miles per year. No serious complaints. Does a great job hauling around our family of four plus two dogs. Around town fuel economy is really good. Never gets below 20 mpg. Performance is surprisingly good considering the modest 175 hp rating. The CVT transmission does a good job getting the most from the engines without revving the snot out of it. Typically gets high 20s mpg on the highway, and occasionally low 30s through flat terrain. AWD works as well as you'd expect in the winter. Pretty much unstoppable. One thing sorely missing on this vehicle is an auto lift gate.

Do not buy this car
By 2012outback on 12/27/13 09:17 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car has a 60,000 transmission warranty. Our transmission needs to be replaced at 67,000 miles. The car is less than 2 years old and the mileage is all highway miles. I could not recommend this vehicle to anyone. When the transmission went out I was on the highway with children in the car. I cannot express how horrifying this experience was. Don't buy this car.

All purpose vehicle
By ken90004 on 12/17/13 06:39 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Owned for two year, have 36k miles. I had no complaints about the car at all. Good gas mileage. I towed trailers and a camper with it with no issues. It is great in the snow and bad weather. Best AWD system out there in this price range. And Subaru is dedicated to their customers. Top notch service all around. I spent a year of research before making my buying decision, and now as an owner, I will own nothing else but a Subaru.

Not happy
By gideon2 on 11/13/13 12:56 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I hate this car. Traded Grand Cherokee for new Outback 2.5 Premium. Car is running like cement mixer at low speeds. Can not adjust driver seat to be comfortable. After 30 minutes of driving seat is cutting of circulation in my leg and that is everyday struggle. Engine is noisy on highway and AC in summer is not so good. Gas mileage is as posted in manual.I can’t wait to get rid of this car.

The good and the bad
By sailormex on 07/15/13 01:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Car new in feb of 2012. I had ordered the 4 cyl but ever came on promised delivery date. After going to the dealer to complain about the non fulfillment I drove the 4 cyl model again on hills and found it seriously underpowered, deciding to take the 6 cyl model. At first this car was great (1 month). Then I had to make an emergency lane change and almost lost control of the vehicle. After 16 months I almost lost control of this vehicle 4 times, and decided to sell before getting hurt or worse. This car is very quiet and smooth, and is great if you drive REALLY slow. The engine and tranny are the best I've ever had (I've driven Audi, VW, Mercedes, jeeps and more) the

What a really nice surprise
By superhoncho69 on 07/07/13 14:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

For starters it's the first import I've ever owned. We traded in a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 V8 that averaged 16.9 mpg no matter how easy you were on the gas pedal. It NEVER got stuck, but the mileage was backbreaking. The Jeep weighs 4700 lbs, and the Outback 3400 lbs, yet the ground clearance is nearly the same and acceleration with the 2.5 feels just as quick if not faster. Over 3 days of mixed driving we're averaging 29 mpg with better handling and tangible money saved at the pump. Interior quality is good, sound insulation very good, with TLC this vehicle will last many years. Looking forward to the first blizzard of 2013!

Thought I loved my Murano but really love the Outback
By uscrph on 05/08/13 19:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD with 20 inch wheels/navigation and all the upgrades. I had 60,000 miles but had issues with the electronic system from nearly the first year of ownership. It was the best driving SUV I have had and was supper loaded and nice --- the big problem was it was dependable with being able to crank it up due to dead batteries - suspect from all of the electronic gadgets placing drain on the car all of the time. Decided to go with the 2012 Subaru which was 6 months old and had 22,000 miles on it from one driver. The car was in almost new condition from front to back. Getting 24 mpg average for both city/highway traffic which is right in line with the specs.

AMAZING!
By drorcutt on 02/09/13 22:54 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I previously owned Toyota, and was very hesitant to go away from a brand I have loved so much. However...once I decided to test drive a Subaru, I was in love! I was looking for something practical, yet stylish, and found what I was looking for in the outback. My family loves the outdoors, camping, etc., and we often move large items. The outback provides enough space to haul loads when you need to, or take the family on a camping trip as well. We love this car and will tell all of our friends and family as well!

Best family car ever
By rkymtnhi on 01/03/13 16:37 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We now have about 13,200 miles on our Outback. Mostly been used for toting the kids to school, events and all the other household chores. We took it on a trip from Colorado to Minnesota over the holidays. First opportunity to drive on icy and snowy roads. The car is great in these conditions. Regarding MPGs. We average 28-32 in normal highway and byway roads. On the highway to MN with a fully loaded car, we dropped to 24-25 MPG with a fully loaded car going mostly about 75MPH. On the way back, I added a Thule 1600 Ascent for extra cargo space and dropped about 1-2 MPG more. There was a lot of wind in Iowa and Nebraska so it's hard to tell how bad the damage was from the cargo carrier.

Poor Gas Mileage
By jayarobinson79 on 12/31/12 08:46 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love my subaru outback but the only issue is that I get 21-23 mpg and I mostly drive highways. My dealer acknowledges the low mpg but says it is within specs. Other than that, the car is great to drive, comfortable on long trips, and the kids enjoy the ride.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$102 per month*