Used 2012 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love my Subaru!
By Linda

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's hard to believe some of the other reviews are talking about the same car. This is my 3rd Subaru (one Forester and 2 Outbacks). I bought it pre-owned from the dealer with 35K miles on the odometer. I'm at 50K and change now. These cars run forever with just basic maintenance. When I wanted a Subaru my husband said, "that's a Mom-Mobile". Then he drove it and agreed that this is a great car. Solid handing in wet or dry conditions, I have never experienced the 'drift' some reviewers mention. I do notice better handling since I bought new tires, I got better quality than the ones that came stock on the car. I don't like the placement of the clock (my 2007 Outback had it near the speedometer) and the AC/Heater controls on the 2007 were more user friendly. But those are pretty trivial complaints. I love the All Weather package (heated seats!). I don't need a heated steering wheel. My 2007 had navigation, I wish this one had it but I just use my smartphone. It could have more pep but it's a 4 banger and not a sports car. Love the Blue Tooth. I took the middle headrest out of the back seat to improve rear visibility (it pops right out). I feel safe in this car.

engine blew a little over 100'000
By sarah mcafee

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

3 yrs old regular maintenance family car. Bought it because it was suppose to get high mileage. Dtiving down the interstate and every lihht on the dash came in. Pulled over there was anti freeze everywhere. Needs new motor and whi kniws what else. Diagnosed as a oil sending unit failure. Subaru did nothing to help I will have around 6000 in repairs. Never again

Engine Blew at 107,000
By Jody Miller

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Car is just 3 years old, all highway driving. Followed maintenance schedule, last service for timing belt, 105,000 requested to do diagnostic testing and check engine carefully for my friend same car and year transmission went. One month later no signs or warning, when driving, dash board lights came on, pulled over and within 5 minutes the coolant poorer out, had towed and told that engine, radiator, valves, engine shot. needs a total rebuilt. Have a compliant in with Subura , told that this happen, not often, but car millage over warranty. How many people even have their car paid off by 3 years, costly repair, wish I could just get rid of the car, not great for resale either. Will see if Subrura pulls through and helps?!

Snow Gobbler off roader
By John

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

So far the Outback 3.6R - 5 speed trans Limited w/nav. is a gem. No problems just maint. Ice cold air, MPG avg 26+ - hwy around 30+ smooth ride, quiet engine, snow gobbler and easy to drive. Keeping this car for another 5 years or longer. Have a 2013 Legacy limited 2.5i and it was flawless and just as good.
Big front seats, quality leather; the black leather looks as good as it did in 2012. Paint is shiny. Glad I purchased the Outback over the other FWD V6 brands this car can't be compared to other vehicles it's in a class of its own. The H6 is so smooth and quiet its a pleasure to drive. What is really fun is the turning radius you can do circles with it...

Overpriced. Needs a LOT of Expensive Repairs!
By bob

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2012 has needed a new transmission with under 65,000 miles, new head gaskets, and a new timing belt. Altogether, we have paid well over $10,000 in repairs. It also go through oil very fast, the tires and brake pads wear out quickly, and the transmission fluid costs more than $300 per bottle!