2011 Subaru Outback 3.6L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Should have been better

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Should have been better
By lfdal54 on

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Seats are comfortable and its easy to find a great seating position. Leather seems of good, but not great, quality. Cabin reasonably quiet. The ride is very busy, harsh even, really jiggly on uneven pavement. Lots of road feel transmitted back into the steering wheel, and increasing over time so that I now have the oscillation problem. Front end makes a decent clunking sound anytime I'm turning into a driveway at anything other than a crawl. The real downside on mine is the 5-spd AT. a shuddering, engine lugging abomination at low rpm. Operation of all the above described as normal. The engine is about the best feature of the car smooth, quiet and great acceleration.

Favorite Features

The engine. The seating in terms of finding a comfortable driving position. Power lumbar adjustment is great. Climate control works well. Stereo is adequate.

Suggested Improvements

More initial problems than any new car purchased in last 32 years. Should be an embarrassment to Subaru. Get rid of the steering wheel oscillation. There must be some fundamental design flaw with this vehicle given the number of people reporting issues, myself included.
By robo123
on 04/08/11 08:38 AM (PDT)

I have the 2011 3.6R Outback automatic. My problem (4 times) is when backing out of the driveway first thing in the morning, when I stop and shift to Drive a second or two later the transmission slams into gear - as though someone hit the car from the back. No resolution with the dealer. Also, when I slow down to a red light, as the car is almost ready to stop, the transmission feels like a bump, bump, from 2nd to first? The dealer is looking at that today. I have 5,000 miles on my car.