Everything perfect except for the transmission
By wil12345 on
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
Great car except for an occasional hard down shift from the five speed automatic. Dealer and Subaru say they know about the issue, but claim it is operating as designed. Mileage is about 28 on highway and 20 in town. 3.6 6 cyl has OK pickup, but not as good at the turbo outback we traded in. If they would fix the transmission issue, the par would be perfect.
Favorite Features
Space, smooth ride, seats and the way it drives.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the shifting problem. After slowing down to about 15 mph, it feels like someone has hit you from the rear when you gently press on the gas. If Subaru can fix this problem (they say all outback 3.6 cars do this) I would never buy anything else. If this can't be corrected, I will most likely purchase something else as I am getting tired of passengers asking me "what is wrong with this car?". This is our 5th Subaru, but may be the last if the problem is uncorrectable.
By firstob11
on 09/16/11 07:05 AM (PDT)

I have the exact same sentiments and experience with my 2011 OB 3.6R Limited. Not sure what to do about it. I've taken it to the service dept, but they said there was no identified problem and therefore nothing to fix. This after a technician road with me and felt what I was talking about. I would like to get rid of the car, but don't want to lose money. I feel like I am going to be paying for a problem created by Subaru.

By jack214
on 11/09/11 11:56 AM (PST)

I had the same problem with the transmission after 4,000 miles. Here's what you do. Call your dealer or Subaru directly. The dealer had to replace the valve body and then performed trans relearn. This corrected the problem. My dealer has done this on several of the 3.6 with the 5-speed. It still shifts smoothly after 12,000 miles. If you don't get any satisfaction from your dealer then call Subaru directly. They know the problem and are easy to work with. Good luck with your endeavor!

By schristophe
on 12/08/11 10:43 AM (PST)

I got my car in 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited in September, and noticed this problem almost immediately. I'm taking it in tomorrow for its first oil change, and will let them know about it. And I'll also let them know the info above from "jack214". Thanks! Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this car. Only other change I'd like Subaru to make would be to remember the last heating/air mode settings (kinda like the seat/stearing memory).