Great in the Snow
By danwatson on
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased a 2011 Outback Premium new in May, 2011. It now has 52,000 mostly trouble free miles. The only problem was with a power window that would get stuck and the dealer had a difficult time finding the cause. Other than that, it's been very reliable. We live in a ski resort at 8,000 feet and the extra power from the six cylinder engine is well worth it. Even with the bigger engine, we are getting over 25 mpg with a combination of highway and town driving. Styling is subjective, but I think both the exterior and interior are attractive. We have a 100 pound golden retriever who loves riding in the back. I wish it had a little more leg room in front and rear, but it's adequate.
Favorite Features
The Outback is a good road car. I have not had any problems with the steering wheel others have complained about. This car is great in the snow. We put on snow tires in the winter and as long as there's less than 8 inches of powder on the ground, it goes anywhere. The engine is smooth and plenty powerful, and is well suited to the 5 speed transmission. I previously had a Forrester with the 4 cylinder engine and 4 speed transmission, and it was underpowered. I don't know how the Outback with the same 4 cylinder engine would perform. I'd recommend a thorough road test first. The car handles well, especially on the highway. I personally like the styling.
Suggested Improvements
This is the first car I've owned in decades that requires adding oil between routine oil changes. I have to add a quart about every 3000 miles. I understand that is normal with these boxer engines. The dealer can't explain why, just that they all use oil. It doesn't burn oil or drip oil, so I don't know where it goes. Overall, this is a great car and I'm very satisfied with it.