2011 Subaru Outback 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Lovin' Ruby Subie

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Lovin' Ruby Subie
By bmccarter on

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought Ruby January 3, 2011 after 3-month search. Considered Santa Fe, Sorento, Mazda CX-7, Rav-4, CR-V. Liked the lower profile vs. the taller SUV types, yet has good visibility and elevated driving position. Was worried 2.5 might not be peppy enough, but it's fine, especially for fiancee, who loves the car. I Like the CVT just fine, although I drove the 6-cyl too and really liked that engine. With gas heading back up it just made more sense to get the 2.5. Of all the cars I drove Ruby had the best balance. That is, she's comfortable, looks good, practical, has great storage, should be reliable, gets great gas mileage for a car in this class, has good technology and build quality.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats and ride Good build quality CVT Bluetooth hands-free works great. But I didn't realize radio must be on for incoming calls to be answered through steering wheel controls. Plenty of storage Back-up camera is a nice touch

Suggested Improvements

The upgraded stereo, while better than the base model, is not quite as good as I hoped. Maybe it lacks hi definition, as another reviewer said. But fiancee listens mostly to talk radio on XM, which is great, so it's not too big a deal. Ruby has a little more road noise than I'd prefer, though not nearly as much as Toyota or Honda.