2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Just back from a 4100 mile tri

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Just back from a 4100 mile trip
By Calvin Wilvert on

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Two days after we bought our 2011 Outback, we left on a five-week, 4100 mile camping trip in the Northwest. Even with a lot of mountain driving and with frequent use of the air- conditioner, gas consumption for the trip averaged slightly over 30 miles per gallon. At all times, the car handled well, was comfortable, and felt safe. I did not experience any steering vibration that a few reviewers have noted. Indeed, I liked communicative feel imparted by the steering. Driving this fine vehicle was a pleasure, and I felt less tired after hours behind the wheel than I have with any other car I have owned. More pep on steep hills would have been fun, but the power is adequate.

The vehicle conveys a sense of quality in all respects.

The lumbar support made the driver's seat very comfortable. However, I (and especially, my wife!)was disappointed that the front passenger seat does not include lumbar support. The fanciest model, the limited, should definitely offer lumbar support for both the driver and front passenger.