2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Drop in mileage after recall

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Drop in mileage after recall
By Johnson Burdge on

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love my 2011 Outback Limited. Size, handling, CVT, and comfort are great. Loved the gas mileage until there was a recall for updating the software for the pollution control system. Letter said it would not affect mileage. That was not the case. I had a significant drop in highway, city, and combined driving mpg. I have just gotten excuses from customer service. This is my sixth Subaru and I have been an advocate for years, but his situation is disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?

Put the software back to original specs. I'm sure it passed EPA standards when it first came off the assembly line.
By ss1980
on 12/28/10 21:59 PM (PST)

That just confirms my fears that today's cars can manage much better fuel economy but are artificially made to be a bit more thirsty. Oil companies behind that?

By stevedel
on 11/13/11 08:53 AM (PST)

My 2008 Impreza went from overall 26 to barely 24 immediately after the adjustment. It all has to do with the recall. I am now looking for a way to turn it back and the dealer won't help.

By heavysixer
on 01/26/11 09:11 AM (PST)

Based on the timing of you posting, it might be winter gas formulation, not the PCS. Just a guess.