Bummed
By mg82 on
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
Im bummed about my first new car. My wife and I, recently married and just move cross country to the bay area. We bought a new subaru thinking that they were reliable. We've had the car for about 5 months now and on several occasions have experienced loss of power and the sent of burnt clutch when heading up hills. In august we recieved a notification from Subaru that there was a recall maintainance on the transmission. some holes were missing on the transmission coolant tube. We promptly had the repair taken care of. since that time we have experienced the same issue a few more times. I think the problem is that the car is too heavy for the base model's engine. -Bummed
Suggested Improvements
I would like to see a 6 speed with a 6 cylander engin.
By watkinst
on 02/15/11 19:09 PM (PST)

The 2.5 engine is actually quite good with the OB this is my second one the first one went 160,000 miles in the bay area and SF along with towing a boat up and down the west coast. However we got the CVT because the 6spd MT was terrible and the subaru we replaced was a 5spd MT. At 16,000 miles of Bay Area traffic and boat towing the CVT and the new 2.5L outback is great. Zero issues very happy with it.

By steine13
on 10/23/11 13:55 PM (PDT)

Something is off here... the model is identified as a 6-speed manual; the problem is a smell of fried "clutch"; and the supposed reason is a problem with the "transmission coolant tube". Since when do have manual transmission coolant in them? Some more information would be helpful.