Used 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Does it all
By macdawg

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I agree with the Swiss Army knife comment--this car offers comfort, class, off-road and bad-road handling, lots of room, bells and whistles (I have winter package with heated front seats and also satellite radio) and for a car of its utility, superb gas mileage. At first I was getting an average of 23-25 mixed used mpg, but on a recent 2000 mile road trip, loaded with 5 passengers and cargo, I averaged 30 mpg at 70-75 mph. I had read in chat rooms people trash the contipro tires, but at the end of the trip we got caught in some sketchy snow conditions, and the car pulled through like a champ.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, satellite radio, adjustable roof rack (though I haven't used that feature, yet.)

Suggested Improvements

It's all good.

Engine whirring Noise
By snowbrush

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My new 2011, which I have had only 3 weeks has already been in shop once and will be going in again this week for the same issues. The issues are that I get a clunk when I release the brake pedal quickly (Dealer says it is normal) and the other more annoying problem is that I get a rpm related whirring from the engine right from idle. Dealer says it was air in power steering oil and said it was fixed. Well, it wasn't and now I'm afraid it is something more significant. I plan on driving another new one to see how the brake clunking is and I know that others do not have the whirring. Not a happy camper.

Favorite Features

utility, versatility, size, value for money, fit and finish.

Don't let your car die:(
By michaelborge

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am really unhappy that I bought my car. I have had it four weeks and it has spent the last 3 days in the shop. One of my kids left a dome light on in the car over night and it died. The next morning I tried to jump it and it wouldn't jump. The car had stopped recognizing my keys and remote starter. I had to get it towed and reprogrammed. I don't want a car that is going to need to be towed if the battery goes dead. The gas milage is no where near thirty like it say that it can get. I average about 20 on the highway.

Favorite Features

I like the rack on top that I added, because it makes it look tough.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest that Subaru go back to what made them legends- tough economical cars. I grew up with Brats and loved the symplicity and the durability.

My third Subie in three years
By 2005graypwrstk

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have an '08 Impreza OBS and an '09 WRX with lottsa mods. Both great cars. I needed a comfy adult vehicle to replace my just sold F250 pwrstroke diesel. I opted for the mileage and utility of the Outback Limited,moon, HK,Sat,camera. With 1400 miles and just returning from a ski trip where I average just under 30 mpg over the Cascades, I am very happy. I questioned my not buying the 3.6 for the first 1k miles until the 2.5i loosened up a bit. From experience I know the Subies don't really break in until close to 5k miles. This car is tight, very comfortable, and actually handles decently now that I'm getting used to how to toss it. Only gripe..hard plastic dash.

Favorite Features

Comfort, quiet, mileage. I've owned Lexus and Mercedes, Audi....every time I see one I ask "is that worth more than twice the entry fee? Answer, No! Not in this world economy especially. Finally, we even get a decent (HK) sound system in a Subie, and a dash that doesn't rattle. Overall a very well rounded vehicle for $30k!

Suggested Improvements

How much more could some soft touch material on the dash cost Subaru per vehicle? Maybe $23.00? I'd prefer a real parking brake....but give me time, I will get used to it.

Swiss Army Knife
By pulse1

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car does it all. needed a car that would carry my family, safely, over the blizzard strewn highways surrounding the great lakes. This is the car for the job. Extra niceties include safety, cargo area, people area, a nice interior finish and great highway MPG. I like this car.

Favorite Features

AWD System ! Clearance. Interior room and finish. MPG. Build Quality. Safety. Cargo Area.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly longer seats (more support under knee area). Needs world class Nav option (we skipped Nav because of this issue). The roof rack needs tie (better) down areas.