2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Excellent car!
By VLY on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded 2007 Outback 2.5i for 2011 2.5i Premium with All weather/sunroof/rear view camera package and immediately saw huge improvements. Where do I start: interior room, rear seat with plenty of leg room and recliners, storages, fuel economy, better OEM tires, pivoted roof crossbars, automatic lights, standard stability/traction control, radio/speed control buttons on steering wheel, rear view camera, trip computer with separate outside temperature display, ride quality, up the hill assistance feature, central console arm rest. Excellent car!

A car for all seasons.
By harrytdd on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

What's not to like when a car does all it says it does. MPG, comfort, cargo space, and safety. Just got back from a 1000 mile excursion to North Cal. forest areas with excellent MPG-32 on regular gas..AC on and traveling at posted speed limits. Haven't quite figure the Bluetooth features, but the XM radio was a boon when driving in regular radio-deprived areas. Have not experienced any sustained wheel vibration when driving at the higher speeds. If it does appear, we hope that SOA will have a solution.

Best value out there
By awall on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought our new Outback a week and a half ago, so I can't give much feedback about reliability yet, but so far we love the car. The redesign they did in 2010 made the outback one of the best family cars out there, in my opinion and the 2011 continues mostly unchanged. Rear seat space is fantastic. Ride is terrific and you feel well connected to the road. Bring on the snow!

Great Car
By Mifflin Mary on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've only had it a short time. I'm looking forward to taking a trip with it. I had an Impala before and had it for 8 years. I really liked it. But not as much as I like my outback. I compared and test drove a lot of other cars before I bought our outback. I read al lot of reviews and none compared. I always came back to this one.

Sirius Radio missing
By Golferjak on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had an 03 Outback with 140,000 miles and traded it for the new design 2011 Outback - First distance travel was to Syracuse NY through NJ and PA 390 miles each way. I use cruise control when I can and got 29.5 miles per gallon both ways. And we traveled with two bikes and luggage for a week.

Get a 3.6 R!
By Jdoll on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

At the time I bought my outback there weren't any real good reviews for the 3.6, most were for the 2.5 so I was hesitant. However after 4500 miles I am really glad I got the bigger engine! The extra power is awesome and really performs quite well! I also disagree with the review stating that the ride is "doughy" and lacks response. Its a wagon, not a rally car! So far I have gotten between 22 and 24 miles per gallon and on the highway actually get around 26! The upgraded stereo system is nice, and for the most part my bluetooth has worked really well. This is a great trip car! Have been on several road trips already and have put 4500 miles on the car in three months!

Should have been better
By lfdal54 on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Seats are comfortable and its easy to find a great seating position. Leather seems of good, but not great, quality. Cabin reasonably quiet. The ride is very busy, harsh even, really jiggly on uneven pavement. Lots of road feel transmitted back into the steering wheel, and increasing over time so that I now have the oscillation problem. Front end makes a decent clunking sound anytime I'm turning into a driveway at anything other than a crawl. The real downside on mine is the 5-spd AT. a shuddering, engine lugging abomination at low rpm. Operation of all the above described as normal. The engine is about the best feature of the car smooth, quiet and great acceleration.

Subaru just get better!
By hamuller on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really loved my 2000 Forester and would have gotten another one except for the 4 speed automatic tranny. My new Outback at 3000 miles has far exceed my expectations. The ride is really comfortable which makes my better half really happy. The gas mileage is as advertised only better. Driving from NH to Cape Ann, MA on vacation I did 33 mpg. In the city it seems to be high 20s. Better than my Forester with the same engine in a much bigger car thanks to the CVT tranny. Acceleration adequate unless you are used to a six cylinder. This car is a winner!

The Worst Phone System
By Thomas on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I still can't believe how many steps I have to take to make a simple call. Even after that the computer usually says it doesn't recognize that name anyway and quits. Its dreadful and its clear to me now whey the salesman didn't demonstrate it. 3 different buttons for the phone on the wheel and not 1 to turn the stereo on. Still got to go the old fashioned way. The doors don't auto lock after the car is in drive. Even the Yaris does that. The lift gate does not open automatically. A low end Camry its standard. The so called 8 cup holders are a joke, 4 are on the doors so you can't put cups in them and the others are so big that even large water bottles tip over. Tiny sun roof.

Flawed steering system 2010-11 models
By pc on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bottom line is the car has a flawed steering system and it effects 30-60+ percent of the cars. I got one of the affected cars and have been fighting with SOA over it. They know the cars are bad and they are selling them to unsuspecting buyers. You sign a contract and your stuck. Run away from these 2 year models of this car! Read the horror stories on the site I mentioned above.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$100 per month*