2011 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
An SUV that wont break your bank
By Subaru66 on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After my sister test drove the Legacy, i was impressed and had to have one. Needed the space of the Outback, so traded my '10 Altima. Great Seats, backup camera. Gas mileage from MD to FL was 29 MPG at 70+ mph. I don't drive a true city, but getting 23-24 in and around, good for a car that weights 3500 lbs. I have about 2500 miles on it now. Got the Black, yea, i know, FL, hot, humid hard water, but it looks sharp. Car floats into turns, guess due to the weight and the tires. Wonder if a set of Mich. will resolve this?

3rd subaru - great vehicle
By mdk on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First and second Subaru were winners , and so is my third Subaru. thought the 2.5L engine would be too small for this vehicle but to my surprise, it isn't. the cvt trans is smooth and i am getting 25 mpg. mixed city and hwy. not bad for a big awd vehicle. it is a very comfortable ride like a luxury car but the price is affordable. interior and exterior design is nicely done. the interior finish looks like too much plastic, but so what, the price makes up for it. i am sure it will have Subaru like reliability. looking forward to many years of fun in this car.

Grandma's new ride
By bruceb on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Traded old Vo XC-70 for this top of line Outback. Safety, value and fun ride were criteria, not to mention high Consumer Rating (thanks CR and Edmunds). Read all 200+ reviews before deciding on 3.6R Limited (thank you all, especially 3.6R people who were right on the mark). The 3.6R has great get up and go. Looking forward to driving in New England this winter. Care drives like a luxury SUV, nimble and elegant, that is when grandma lets her old man (not yet 60) take "Stormy" for a ride (took delivery day Hurricane Earl hit Cape Cod).

Red Ruby Pearl
By PSUfan on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Needed to downsize from a Nissan Pathfinder. The Outback was the best choice for great gas mileage, ample storage space, luminous rear leg room for the kids, large rear trunk space for dogs, and almost the same ground clearance (0.2" difference) as the Pathfinder, (Outer Banks beach driving). Very happy with our decision, and looked a multiple vehicles (Toyota, Honda, Ford, Hyundai).

WAY better than last generation
By DC Person on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I used to hate Outbacks. (We have driven in one on several occasions for approximately 400 miles on at least 5 occasions). In fact, we refused to test drive this one for a while until I convinced her to give it a try. Instead, we were looking at the 2010 Passat Wagon and liked how that one handled and felt the engine had enough power. I also disagree with Edmunds; the ride is not "doughy" at all. I have never been in a wagon at this price point that has performed this well on the road. The V6 is quite zippy and I routinely dodge around "sportier" vehicles downtown with just myself in tow. The interior is much improved over the last generation and is far more comfortable.

Cost effective car
By leousa on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the most cost effective car on the market today. It is a luxury universal in the city, fully capable SUV in rural areas, yet fuel efficient and affordable. Was shopping for a crossover for at least 4 month. Test drove Venza, Rav4, HR-V, Sportage2011, Forester, InfinityEX35. Almost bought the Infinity for the driving impressions and design. But ended up with Outback. No regrets. Did 2700 miles so far in the Salt Lake City area. Mileage as advertised 24 to 32. Climbed the hill where Ford Explorer has to backed up, and crossed the deep river where only serious SUV has courage to go. Accelerate to 100mls/hr and had no vibrations with avg noise. Roomy, comfortable, well thought vehicle.

Love my Subie
By Connij on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I decided it was time to get a new SUV so researched new vehicles via the internet and the new car review edition of Consumer Reports. Most important to me were reliability, safety, good MPG, AWD, etc. Narrowed my choices (small SUV) to Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tuscon, Subaru Forester. Went to Subaru dealer and test drove 2010 Foresters. They were just okay but not exactly sold. Saw a 2011 Outback and saw the MPG (lower than the Forester.) Test drove the Outback. It was perfect! Traded in '01 Honda CRV, 133,000 miles (never gave me any trouble.) Ten years since I bought a new car so I was thrilled with latest technology.

Great choice
By Marc Lobell on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After careful research, we opted for this car. Coming out of 2 Saabs, this is a totally better built and better thought-out machine. The Saabs were more fun to drive, but had serious reliability issues. We expect to have this Subaru for years and years and can't wait to take a long trip. The car has so much room inside and aside from the extra height, drives like a car, not like an SUV. The only critique is that lacks a bit of oomph getting on highways, but the paddle shifters are a good remedy for this :-)

First Subaru
By Sunshine State on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Drove it down the interstate and it handled well. I was impressed with the 4 cylinder engine, once you get moving it seems effortless (Driving in Florida, so most of the driving on flat area. Somethings I would recommend: 1. Automatic Door locks should be included. 2. 2 AC vents near the radio should be placed in a different location. 3. Mud flaps should be included on limited model. 4. It would help to improve flexibility of seating if back seat could be adjusted back or forward a few inches (similar to GMC Terrain's back seat). 5. Warranty on drive train should be more competitive with other car manufacturers (many are 100,000 while Subaru is 60,000).

Roll the Dice
By new subaru on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We wanted a 4 wheel drive for the Maine winters also we needed the room have 3 kids. We also wanted better mpg than our trailblazer was giving us. Test drove 5 different cars/suvs. Really like the Volvo xc70 then again who wouldn't just to much $$$$$. The Subaru has a great feel and ride. Remember it's not a luxury car. Very roomy inside for all passengers and cargo. We have less then 1000 mi but averaging around 29 mpg. Problems sunroof has a small leak which is being fixed at dealership they say they have seen this with other Subaru's. Also one of the rear speakers is not working hopefully will be fixed as well. I'll let ya know.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$100 per month*