2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2011 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

great ride
By lazymedic42

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

owned '97, '05 outbacks. 2011 version much improved in interior space, comfort seating and ergonomics. 3.6 engine is needed for highway; gas mileage much better than listed. Can't throw the new car around like the older models, miss the weather band radio and engine block heater. Back-up video takes time to get used to but worth it;

Favorite Features

ohc cam six is a gem, quiet, responsive, predictable and smooth. 6 speed would be trick but alas not offered. Subie goes mainstream with this model.

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension needs improving-rear wheels spend alot of time in the air; Replaced water temp with a gauge, big plastic pan over the engine; gas flow meter too low on dash; wiperstalk hidden by steering wheel; audio control overkill.

Great Ride
By DMM

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 3.6R Outback and now have 4,000 trouble free miles. Rides very smooth at highway speed and the seats are very comfortable. The outback performs much better than the Jeep and the gas mileage for a six cylinder is fantastic. Took it to the snow and it by far out performed the Jeep. I am very impressed and happy with my Outback.

Favorite Features

Powerful 6 cylinder Smooth ride Bluetooth Connect

Suggested Improvements

More clearance in the wheel wheel for snow chains (only SSC Super Z6 snow cables will work on the Outback) Vent for the back seats Get rid of the MPG gauge

Subaru number 3
By Tammy

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just brought home the new baby. Traded in my 2007 Outback which had nothing wrong with it at all! I was seeking more room, as we travel a lot. We carry two kayaks across the country with us and these are the best vehicles. The new car is huge! I have more head room than I have every experienced before. The fit and finish is great, handling crisp, features are abundant. This is a lot of car for the money. My husband has a 2009 Forrester and loves it. We are truly a Subaru couple.

Favorite Features

Interior room, cargo space, ground clearance, great HK stereo, interior lighting, long distance drive comfort and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Got nothing for you so far, stay tuned!

My Mistake for Assuming! Caveat Emptor!
By Justin

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Took delivery of a new 2011 2.5i Limited Outback today. I am stunned that it didn't come with high definition radio. Their touted upgraded stereo system lacks this basic feature that I've been enjoying in my old Honda Civic for years! It's the equivalent of buying a higher-end model to discover that it comes with crank windows. I can't believe that there is no HD radio! Small things like the lack of a change holder are also annoying. The optional remote engine starter is programed to shut off the engine when the door is opened, so using the remote engine starter requires two separate engine starts to get underway. If I'd understood all of the wear and tear, I'd have passed on it.

Favorite Features

None yet.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru should check the calendar, realize that it's 2010, and add HD radio in the upgraded systems. Add a change holder for tolls and drive-throughs. Having the engine cut off when the door is opened is security overkill.

Best of Both Worlds!
By alittlebitofbs

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 4,500 miles I am truly impressed. Unlike my 2002 CR-V our Limited is a full-sized, luxury car which is smooth and quiet on the road. While the CVT took some getting used to, the great mpg (25.5 city & 33 highway) is a wonderful surprise! It feels more like a wagon than an SUV. So far none of the problems reported by 2010 owners. Can't wait to go to Mammoth soon and try out the awd!

Favorite Features

MPG, CVT, comfort, cargo room, sound system with USB input & satellite radio, dual trip meters with MPG, and the security of awd! Despite the equipment limitations noted, the fold-away cargo rack is practical.

Suggested Improvements

While handling is generally good it leaned too much in sharp, fast turns so I installed the rear STI 19mm sway bar. Very easy to diy in 30 minutes without jacking the car. Detailed instructions online. This mod really helps! The navi & audio are a pain because you have to be stopped to make changes

The New Outback is Fantastic
By rlj-Seattle

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first Subaru and we could not be happier. This is the perfect trip car. The highway ride is smooth, quiet and the interior is very spacious. We tried both the 2.5 and 3.6R and went with the bigger engine that is more powerful and refined. It still gets great gas mileage for a vehicle this size. The Hardon Kardon stereo is definitely worth the money for both the sound and bluetooth phone. I drive an Audi A4 quattro so I was very happy to get this excellent all- wheel vehicle for my wife. She hasn't driven in the snow yet so she is in for a treat! She loves her new car.

Favorite Features

Ride; engine; bluetooth; interior room; cargo area liner; USB port to connect my iPhone for music

Suggested Improvements

Rear A/C vents

North America here I come!
By GypsyGopher

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Get in, start up, buckle up, brake release - GO! I feel like Top Gun behind the wheel. Safety, technology, economy, features, price - winning combination. Everything but Nav, and my Android takes care of that. Retiring in January; from the Upper Midwest to FLA for the Last Shuttle launch. No interstates if I can help it. I have already driven 4500 mi. in three months, and got 28 mpg mixed driving. Winter gas has taken that down a notch or two, but who's counting. Big (unexpected) snow storm last week demonstrated the Subie's pedigree to my complete satisfaction. Remote start and heated seats - oh yeah! Great visibility, and room for this 6'5" male. Etc etc etc - loving it all.

Favorite Features

CVT silkiness, H-K Premium with Satellite XM (unexpected audio quality), iPod touch (Media Hub) & two cell phone connectivity with Bluetooth. Auto dual zone climate control is techno magic. Homelink, autodimming rear mirror, back up camera, and a styling sense that keeps "changing." Factory hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Visor range hampered when swung to the driver's side window. "Oh God" bar in the way.

Very Satisfied!
By JTC - Akron, OH.

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm a manufactures rep. by occupation and drive 40,000 miles/yr. My last two vehicles have been Honda Odyssey Vans, which I can say nothing negative about. Since I spend a great deal of time in a car it was just time for a change. This is my first Subaru and after two months/8,000 miles, I feel very satisfied with my decision. I must say, I read many of these personal reviews on this site and they helped make my decision. Since fuel economy is a key feature for me, I was a little concerned about the 4 cyl engine and if there would be enough power (no problem). I hope in the future to update my review and give potential Subaru buyers an honest assessment. So far, I'm a truly happy Subaru owner

Favorite Features

Very comfortable drive, quiet on the highway, back up camera is handy in rear view mirror, great MPG for an AWD vehicle, spacious rear seating, head lights great, well appointed interior and dash lighting, good value for the dollar

Suggested Improvements

These improvements I would not consider a "deal breaker" - 4 cyl engine is noisier than I'm used to when you stomp on the accelerator - I guess this is inherent with a 4 cyl engine?, perhaps they could better insulate engine compartment? Cruise function goes off when car is turned off, prefer temp gauge.

Just purchased and will continue review
By Card Fan

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have spent the past two months methodically reviewing, test-driving, and evaluating vehicles that I would consider appropriate for a growing family. I narrowed the choice down to the following four vehicles: Honda CR-V, Honda Odyssey, Subaru Outback, and Kia Sorento. The CR-V sounded so noisy on the test drives and the interior seemed a bit cheap in comparison to the other vehicles so it fell off the list. The Oddessey had a great ride, but the price was pushing 36,000 or higher out the door. I pained over the remaining two, and after reading all the customer reviews available I ruled out the Kia Sorento because of miscellaneous reported problems. Over the next year I plan to write 3 reviews

Favorite Features

Reported fuel economy, Out the Door price of 32,700 including taxes, licensing, registration (Power moonroof and nav with puddle lights, splash guards, Cargo net, all weather mats), in the Southeastern US.

Suggested Improvements

I will be reporting more over the next year. I am starting out high with the ratings and we will see what happens in the next 12 months.

Drop in mileage after recall
By Johnson Burdge

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love my 2011 Outback Limited. Size, handling, CVT, and comfort are great. Loved the gas mileage until there was a recall for updating the software for the pollution control system. Letter said it would not affect mileage. That was not the case. I had a significant drop in highway, city, and combined driving mpg. I have just gotten excuses from customer service. This is my sixth Subaru and I have been an advocate for years, but his situation is disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?

Suggested Improvements

Put the software back to original specs. I'm sure it passed EPA standards when it first came off the assembly line.