Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Subaru Outback AWD Best Vehicle Ever
By mike07734

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Vehicle in June 2010. It's the 2011 Limited AWD 2.5 4Cylinder engine. Subaru Dealer has been the most attentive, most friendly, best ever Dealership I have ever delt with in my entire life of owning cars. Acceleration / power is great, car rides very smooth, very solid car, very quiet, comfortable, it's tons of fun to drive especially in snow puts many other cars and 4x4's to shame plus I can average 31mpg due to the way the engine is so perfectly mated to that CVT. This is an exceptional vehicle inside and out, built quality remarkable, value is outstanding. Service from dealer on scale of 1-10 is an ELEVEN !! Outback is an extremely good vehicle.

I love everything about the car, the exterior design is flawless, and the interior design was executed with great attention to detail. Thing I like most is it's snow handling capability - the AWD. It's truly an AWD vehicle, only Subaru knows how to built them where as everyone else pretends to have this capability. The other thing I love is the CVT transmission and the great gas mileage I get. The power is unbelievable. I've driven both forester with 2.5 4cyl with regular automatic. CVT has more power and better gas mileage hands down much better performance and value.

Yes, how about ventilation control for rear seat passengers like in the Venza???

We love our outback and so do our dogs!
By blackbird69

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We picked up our Outback on 12/1/10, the day we had the first "real" snow of the '10-'11 winter. The Outback was put to the test right away and was great all winter. It performed really well in snow and on icy roads. Gas mileage is great too. We were looking for a vehicle to haul our four dogs. The Outback has plenty of space for them. The ride, seating, and handling are as good or better than anything else we've owned. We're up to 10,000 miles and the more I drive this car the more I love it.

We have the winter package. I thought the heated seats were a "fluff" option. When I started using them in really cold weather, I really appreciated them. The winter mats were great to protect the floor when the weather was really sloppy. Although I read good reviews about Subaru's, I had not seriously considered buying one before because they always got worse gas mileage that other cars I was considering. Subaru has fixed that problem. The 2.5 liter engine with the CVT has gotten over 35 mpg on the highway. Around town I get around 28.

I can't name any. This may be the best car we've ever owned.

CVT REVERSE POWER PROBLEMS!!!!! BEWARE!!!!
By mpp1234

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback in June, the car seems to be fine except that I bought the car for highway and off road driving. Unfortunatley I found out that the NEW SUBARU IS NOT CAPABLE OF BACKING OVER A 5" CURB FROM A STOP!!! THE CVT DOES NOT PROVIDE REVERSING POWER TO GET OVER CURB. A supervisor at Subaru America has stated that the car is not expected to be able to clear objects 5" tall in reverse without having momentum to car the car over the object. If you shift into reverse and try to back over a curb the pedal will go to the floor and the car will go NOWHERE without starting momentum. The car has severly limited torque in reverse and cannot be trusted!!!!

Give car the ability to back over 5" objects from a stop... this is a FREAK Outback which can't handle backing over something 5" tall -- TOTALLY HONEST POST HERE..

Believe the hype!
By 2011subiefan

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

If you are reading this, you are probably doing research. I have already put 1,000+ miles on my 2011 Outback and I can honestly say that it has been nothing but a pleasure. I used to own a 2000 Accord, but needed to upgrade for my growing family. We recently took it for a road trip from NYC to Lake George Village and the ride was firm and comfortable and the cargo space was sufficient. The only downside is the mp3 connection, which does not allow you to change songs. One other thing, I notice that the driver's side of the car rides lower than the passenger side. After analyzing the problem, I discovered it was all the cash in my pocket that I saved. Ha! Unbelieveable bargain!

Quiet interior (from those gheto blasting low riders), comfortable leather seats, easy to navigate dashboard, class leading 2nd row space (cavernous for a toddler), deep and wide cargo area (lost a set of clubs somewhere inside), AWD (can't wait for winer), Harmon Kardon speakers (blasting podcasts/music/stereo), solid leather wrapped steering wheel, cargo nooks galore, roof rack (not yet used but will), handling/suspension (absorbs nasty NYC potholes with ease), power (can easily get up to speed), visibility (I see everything-even unmarked police cruisers!) and reliability (of course time will be the judge).

Allow the steering wheel dials the ability to change songs from a connected mp3 player. Also, make space for a 17" wheel in the spare tire nook. Seriously, I looked at all the competition, drove tons of them over a one-year period, and am 100% happy with my purchase.

Excellent!
By darkfire757

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

A little backstory, I was originally looking at a used Audi or Chevy Tahoe, I then ran the numbers and found a base Forester wasn't too much more. So I went in to test drive the Forester (with auto and alloy wheels), I thought it was ok. Then I tested the Outback back to back, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The Outback is smooth, refined, quick and big. Even though it is a 4 CYL it is not underpowered. In Wyoming (7200 ft) I can do 80mph at 2100 RPM. The audio system is great, I love the iPod capability, and I have the All Weather Package which I would strongly recommend. I love this vehicle and the CVT is great, it is very smooth.

Steering Wheel Audio Controls All Weather Package MPG Clever Roof Rails Audio System Cargo Space Power

Maybe a Turbo for the 2.5i, it isn't underpowered, but overkill is underrated.