2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Best of Both Worlds!
By alittlebitofbs on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 4,500 miles I am truly impressed. Unlike my 2002 CR-V our Limited is a full-sized, luxury car which is smooth and quiet on the road. While the CVT took some getting used to, the great mpg (25.5 city & 33 highway) is a wonderful surprise! It feels more like a wagon than an SUV. So far none of the problems reported by 2010 owners. Can't wait to go to Mammoth soon and try out the awd!

The New Outback is Fantastic
By rlj-Seattle on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first Subaru and we could not be happier. This is the perfect trip car. The highway ride is smooth, quiet and the interior is very spacious. We tried both the 2.5 and 3.6R and went with the bigger engine that is more powerful and refined. It still gets great gas mileage for a vehicle this size. The Hardon Kardon stereo is definitely worth the money for both the sound and bluetooth phone. I drive an Audi A4 quattro so I was very happy to get this excellent all- wheel vehicle for my wife. She hasn't driven in the snow yet so she is in for a treat! She loves her new car.

North America here I come!
By GypsyGopher on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Get in, start up, buckle up, brake release - GO! I feel like Top Gun behind the wheel. Safety, technology, economy, features, price - winning combination. Everything but Nav, and my Android takes care of that. Retiring in January; from the Upper Midwest to FLA for the Last Shuttle launch. No interstates if I can help it. I have already driven 4500 mi. in three months, and got 28 mpg mixed driving. Winter gas has taken that down a notch or two, but who's counting. Big (unexpected) snow storm last week demonstrated the Subie's pedigree to my complete satisfaction. Remote start and heated seats - oh yeah! Great visibility, and room for this 6'5" male. Etc etc etc - loving it all.

Very Satisfied!
By JTC - Akron, OH. on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm a manufactures rep. by occupation and drive 40,000 miles/yr. My last two vehicles have been Honda Odyssey Vans, which I can say nothing negative about. Since I spend a great deal of time in a car it was just time for a change. This is my first Subaru and after two months/8,000 miles, I feel very satisfied with my decision. I must say, I read many of these personal reviews on this site and they helped make my decision. Since fuel economy is a key feature for me, I was a little concerned about the 4 cyl engine and if there would be enough power (no problem). I hope in the future to update my review and give potential Subaru buyers an honest assessment. So far, I'm a truly happy Subaru owner

Just purchased and will continue review
By Card Fan on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have spent the past two months methodically reviewing, test-driving, and evaluating vehicles that I would consider appropriate for a growing family. I narrowed the choice down to the following four vehicles: Honda CR-V, Honda Odyssey, Subaru Outback, and Kia Sorento. The CR-V sounded so noisy on the test drives and the interior seemed a bit cheap in comparison to the other vehicles so it fell off the list. The Oddessey had a great ride, but the price was pushing 36,000 or higher out the door. I pained over the remaining two, and after reading all the customer reviews available I ruled out the Kia Sorento because of miscellaneous reported problems. Over the next year I plan to write 3 reviews

Drop in mileage after recall
By Johnson Burdge on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love my 2011 Outback Limited. Size, handling, CVT, and comfort are great. Loved the gas mileage until there was a recall for updating the software for the pollution control system. Letter said it would not affect mileage. That was not the case. I had a significant drop in highway, city, and combined driving mpg. I have just gotten excuses from customer service. This is my sixth Subaru and I have been an advocate for years, but his situation is disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?

Great Car - But easy fixes overlooked
By Craig on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my first Subaru after trading in my '01 GTI 1.8T. Still getting use to sitting up high, but happy to be in a car with AWD and some very nice features like Bluetooth and the rear view camera. While I miss the sporty VW, the Outback handles much better than a Grand Cherokee. Paddle shifters great for snowy conditions. Upgraded to the HK stereo but the $400 media hub can not access IPOD play lists and requires you to scroll through artists in alpha. order. The exterior/interior look great but wish there wasn't such a gap between the body and the wheels. The while good interior Subaru over looked some very easy upgrades, like automatic locks and four one-touch window buttons.

Very Impressed
By Nittany Lion on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought new 3.6r limited, very impressed. Wife has an '07 rav4 6 cylinderlimited, but I chose ob as need to climb our snow/ice mountain to home in north central pa. Slid down backwards in rav4 3 times last year. Computer shuts down power when wheels spin. Ob leather seats are the most comfortable I've ever had, ride is unbelievable (a ride on a cloud) for a crossover. Toyota much stiffer and much louder inside- cannot talk front to rear on a trip. Mileage pretty good, acceleration great. Fit and finish good. Exterior lines cool, interior plush and techie. No steering shimmy and my dealership has never seen any. I am very happy with ob indeed.

2010 Outback -> 2011 Outback
By macmuchmore on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the 2010 Outback (2.5i Premium CVT) last year and really liked it except for a few issues (no folding mirrors, some window trim misalignment, no homelink, not red). So while I was in dealership getting an oil change I looked at a 2011 red outback. All the things I wanted changed were there. so I traded in my 2010 for the 2011. Love the new one more than last years. Have already used the folding mirrors.

Really wanted a diesel
By Wendy on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded in a 2007 Passat, really wanted a car with AWD that was safe and had good gas mileage. Although I doubt if I will get any speeding tickets with my Subaru it is a great car...I had trouble getting the Bluetooth to work; had to get a new phone and that was an aggravation. Love the seating position and the lack of blind spots. Love the sparkly gray paint. Can't wait to see how it handles in the snow, but during a few torrential downpours it handled quite impressively.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$100 per month*