Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Great Car needed better Shocks
By bwein

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Love this with the 3.6 plenty of power with descent gas mileage 22 combines for 18,000 miles.
My only complaint was the soft ride and poor handling.
I put KYB gas shock on it and now it handles great and rides nice and firm. (watchout Cayennes) We have taking this car on the LA to Mammoth trek many times to go skiing and have needed the AWD plenty of times and it works great.
We can fit 4 adults and a dog for a weekend of skiing if we put the skis and boards on the roof.
Ingenious rack system.

Seat Comfort and leg room front and rear, Reclining rear seats, Great interior room for its size. Roof racks, Powerful 3.6,

Poor handling from the factory and too soft a ride. KYB gas shocks has solved my problem. USB to radio does not control my droid. 6 speed auto tranny

First Subaru Purchase
By chief47131

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned Ford vehicles all my life, but due to quality issues, decided to purchase a 2011 Subaru Outback. After owning this vehicle for over a year, and with 15,000 miles, it has exceeded my expectations and is worthy of all the positive reviews. I have no issues with the 4 cyl. not having enough power. It does very well in all driving settings and my gas mileage is averaging 22 MPG city and 30 MPG highway. Interior room is great for a family of four. Handling in snow is terriffic with no issues whatsoever. The Outback is a great reliable, economical, safe family vehicle.

Reliability, Interior Room, Handing in Bad Weather, Gas Mileage, Safety Features

None

BEST MILEAGE SUV awd
By jasperdog

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Fabulous Mileage for a 3400lb SUV...better than my CRV by 20%!!
Just put on my first 8,000 km (90%hwy/10%
City) or 5000 miles by driving to calgary,salt lake, sedona,LA,etc and back to Vancouver,BC.
I used AVERAGE 7.0 l/100km...that's 34 us mpg or 41 canadian mpg for 5000miles. At one point when I kept speed downto 60mph I averaged 39usMPG or 47 cdn MPG for 200 miles.
Car is very comfortable with best leg room ever( 6,3inches...my crv sucks in comparison) for long drives.
Fantastic Car!!!Suggest you rename car as SUPARU

Traded a Forester for an Outback
By danwatson

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a Forester 15 months ago when I moved to 8000 feet elevation.
The Forester performed flawlessly through 55 feet of snow in a record winter.
But, it's four cylinder engine and four speed transmission struggled at this elevation, especially in hilly terrain.
And, it was just a bit too small.
Since we were otherwise very satisfied, we traded it on an Outback with the 3.6 engine and 5 speed automatic.
After 18,000 miles, we traded it for $2500 less than we paid for it and still got a good discount on the Outback.
What a difference.
The Outback has plenty of power and leg room.
The Limited has very nice features.
It's a good value compared to similar crossover vehicles.

Engine and transmission are well matched. Interior finish is better than expected for a car of this price. The AWD is great, whether you need it or not. It's got great traction and a very tight turning radius. In my opinion, it's one of the best looking crossovers. The selling dealer (Sierra in Monrovia, CA) threw in the free maintenance while under warranty which is a convenience.

The only problem we've had is a driver's window that won't go up without stopping several times. It goes up a few inches and stops. That means you have to repeatedly press the switch. Two trips to the dealership have not resulted in a repair. We're ready to go to another dealer for warranty service.

Very Pleased
By rjnolfe

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Moving from a Chevy HHR to the larger, heavier, AWD Subaru I thought we would get a little worse gas mileage, but NO, it gets better mileage.
We typically see 30mpg in or rural area of Upstate NY.
Very comfortable and a pleasure to drive.
We feel very confident that we can travel just about anywhere in any weather without fear of getting stuck.

CVT transmission with the paddle shifters. Love to use them. Power up and down on drivers window with just a touch. Lights are excellent...both interior and exterior. Seats are very comfortable and adjust every which way you can imagine. Tilt AND telescope wheel. Looks to be very serviceable. Underhood room to access components looks excellent. Very quiet interior. Almost no wind noise at highway speeds. Love the flashing light on the remote start button that tells you the vehicle is actually running.

Speed variable wipers. Remote start that doesn't shut off when you open the door. Full rear wheelwell protection. The fender lip is exposed to the elements and looks to be an easy place for rust to start. Auto lights too sensitive, come on even if you go under a bridge. Auto off should function when key is left in ignition and engine turned off. When you pull in the garage, lights come on and you must pull the key out of the ignition or the lights will stay on. Driver 1 and driver 2 settings. Driver sideview mirror auto dimmer to eliminate glare from approaching headlights. Auto locking. Ability to customize features.