Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Horrible Seat Comfort and Goofy Nav System
By cincy3

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I now own my first Subaru Outback for just a week and already want to get rid of it. One huge factor... the seat headrests are horrible. Have now, after purchasing the car, found several blogs citing the same problem. The headrests lean too far forward making my neck ache - and I cannnot find a comfortable position. I now need to find someone to fix it or i will be getting rid of it after just a week of ownership. Also - a minor complaint - the Nav system is goofy. Takes different disks for different parts of the country instead of one simple system like Garmin. So, living on the edge of their regions - I have to keep switching disks. goofy.

I had wanted to love this car but the problem with the seat head rests is overshadowing all of the good points.

Fix the horrible seat head rests and start using a normal Nav system. Other than that - the car is fine and a joy to drive.

New Purchase Satisfaction
By worldcitizen

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased an Outback for my older son eleven years go and he is still driving it with 180,000+ miles and a growing family so I decided I would do the same for our younger son. I recently purchased an Outback 2.5i Limited and I am very impressed. The quality of the car is excellent and we are averaging 27 mpg in combined driving during the break-in period. I am expecting the same reliability we had with our previous Subaru and anticipate a similar ownership experience.

The front seats are very comfortable and the leg room in the backseat is very spacious for a car this size. Storage space is more than adequate.

The control knobs on the radio are very small.

Everything perfect except for the transmission
By wil12345

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great car except for an occasional hard down shift from the five speed automatic. Dealer and Subaru say they know about the issue, but claim it is operating as designed. Mileage is about 28 on highway and 20 in town. 3.6 6 cyl has OK pickup, but not as good at the turbo outback we traded in. If they would fix the transmission issue, the par would be perfect.

Space, smooth ride, seats and the way it drives.

Fix the shifting problem. After slowing down to about 15 mph, it feels like someone has hit you from the rear when you gently press on the gas. If Subaru can fix this problem (they say all outback 3.6 cars do this) I would never buy anything else. If this can't be corrected, I will most likely purchase something else as I am getting tired of passengers asking me "what is wrong with this car?". This is our 5th Subaru, but may be the last if the problem is uncorrectable.

My First Suabru but can't say last
By suntg

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Though I found following features are missing, still love it. 1. Speedometer is so small and not easy to read as compare to other cars. I have no clue why there is a fuel economy meter; when there is an option to see fuel average next to digital clock. 2. AC options are limited and not completely described in the manual. Manual doesn’t say how to change the Auto mode to manual mode. I accidently discovered that. 3.There is no Service Reminder available and you need to remember the service dates/miles etc. 4.Seats are comfortable but not long enough to give you thigh support. 5.No auto lock feature. 6.GPS is a jock not enough features.

1. Good quality Leather seats. 2. Smooth ride, I got a chance to drive a loaner with 6000 miles on its and the ride was very smooth, hope mine would be same after those many miles. 3. Great Harmon Kardon system. 4. Media hub 5. lots of leg room. 6. Off Road capabilities 7. fuel ecnomy

1. I hope they will make better Instrument panel. 2. Auto Lock feature 3. Better GPS 4. HD radio. 5. Memory Seats

2011 Outback - from a high mileage driver
By sallad75

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned an '07 and '09 Outback prior to this 2011. I put on ~25k miles a year in all weather types (ND). The 2011 Outback rides great, has more room and does get better mileage than the previous 2 models. With just over 9k on the new car I am gettting 28-30 MPG on the interstate (77 MPH) and 33 MPG on the 2 lane roads (67 MPH) and in town 24-26 MPG. The car has great room, handles well and is a pleasure to drive. I have the premium model which adds some nice touches without going over the top. The clearence is great, especially in the snow we get up here. I also test drove a CX-9 when looking but found this a much better fit for our family.

-Improved interior room, better ride and quiter while driving than '09.

little things like larger knobs on the radio, the trunk lid shuts a bit harder than necessary and tires feel a bit soft compared to the other Subarus I have driven.