2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Outback in Beast Mode in the Snow
By subetraum on 01/13/11 15:48 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After two years of research on which cross-over vehicle to buy I am proud to say I chose the Subaru Outback. I have the limited 2.5 edition. For a guy with back problems I am very pleased w/ the comfort of the seats. I find the layout of the controls very easy to use and the bluetooth handless free phone system works great. I got to test the Subaru in this years' blizzard the day after Christmas and the Subaru dominated. Able to drive safely and comforably at 40-45 mph in blizzard conditions w/out slipping. Its my first subaru and it won't be my last.

Exceeded My Expectations
By winebike on 01/07/11 20:09 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven my OB 1200 miles. The build date was 10/10 and it came with Conti ProContact tires. In mixed city/highway driving, I've been averaging 22 mph. I previously drove a Lexus GS300. I am very happy with the ride, handling, and features of the OB. When I took my first test drive of an OB last summer, I didn't like it and took it off my list, but I kept coming back to it and liked it better after each test drive. After my fourth test drive, I was sold. After buying the OB and getting to know it even better, I can say that the OB has exceeded my expectations and is an awesome car for its class.

Engine problems (9,500 miles)
By elkrun on 01/06/11 11:25 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Engine started to chug or mis-fire during a recent winter trip across the northern states (2,000 miles round trip). The problem appears to be related to snow intake as the problem only surfaces when driving during a snow storm or in blowing snow. I've taken it to two dealers and they have not resolved. Problem is that the car "chugged" abruptly about 30 times during four separate snow events, so the "cause and effect" seems very obvious to me. Not gasoline related. Dealer ruled out transmission. Serious enough "chugging" to make the kids think we were about to break down. There is something going on with a sensor or the engine that has yet to manifest as a code, but it's coming.

2nd review after 3 months
By cardfan2 on 01/04/11 19:39 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It has been 3 months and almost 2000 miles since I purchased my new Subaru. The biggest road test occurred when my wife and I traveled to Louisville from Atlanta in rare Southeast snow. The Outback gave us both a great deal of confidence on the road. It handles excellent in snow and ice. My only complaint at this point is that the ride is bit less stable on sharper turns at higher speeds, but that is a small sacrifice. The gas mileage has ranged from 25 to 32 on the highway--usually depending on the use of cruise control and speed. I thought it would consistently be around 30 but have been a little disappointed. Love the audio and GPS system

Bummed
By mg82 on 12/11/10 12:12 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Im bummed about my first new car. My wife and I, recently married and just move cross country to the bay area. We bought a new subaru thinking that they were reliable. We've had the car for about 5 months now and on several occasions have experienced loss of power and the sent of burnt clutch when heading up hills. In august we recieved a notification from Subaru that there was a recall maintainance on the transmission. some holes were missing on the transmission coolant tube. We promptly had the repair taken care of. since that time we have experienced the same issue a few more times. I think the problem is that the car is too heavy for the base model's engine. -Bummed

great ride
By lazymedic42 on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

owned '97, '05 outbacks. 2011 version much improved in interior space, comfort seating and ergonomics. 3.6 engine is needed for highway; gas mileage much better than listed. Can't throw the new car around like the older models, miss the weather band radio and engine block heater. Back-up video takes time to get used to but worth it;

Subaru number 3
By Tammy on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just brought home the new baby. Traded in my 2007 Outback which had nothing wrong with it at all! I was seeking more room, as we travel a lot. We carry two kayaks across the country with us and these are the best vehicles. The new car is huge! I have more head room than I have every experienced before. The fit and finish is great, handling crisp, features are abundant. This is a lot of car for the money. My husband has a 2009 Forrester and loves it. We are truly a Subaru couple.

Great Ride
By DMM on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 3.6R Outback and now have 4,000 trouble free miles. Rides very smooth at highway speed and the seats are very comfortable. The outback performs much better than the Jeep and the gas mileage for a six cylinder is fantastic. Took it to the snow and it by far out performed the Jeep. I am very impressed and happy with my Outback.

My Mistake for Assuming! Caveat Emptor!
By Justin on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Took delivery of a new 2011 2.5i Limited Outback today. I am stunned that it didn't come with high definition radio. Their touted upgraded stereo system lacks this basic feature that I've been enjoying in my old Honda Civic for years! It's the equivalent of buying a higher-end model to discover that it comes with crank windows. I can't believe that there is no HD radio! Small things like the lack of a change holder are also annoying. The optional remote engine starter is programed to shut off the engine when the door is opened, so using the remote engine starter requires two separate engine starts to get underway. If I'd understood all of the wear and tear, I'd have passed on it.

Best of Both Worlds!
By alittlebitofbs on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 4,500 miles I am truly impressed. Unlike my 2002 CR-V our Limited is a full-sized, luxury car which is smooth and quiet on the road. While the CVT took some getting used to, the great mpg (25.5 city & 33 highway) is a wonderful surprise! It feels more like a wagon than an SUV. So far none of the problems reported by 2010 owners. Can't wait to go to Mammoth soon and try out the awd!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback in WA is:

$86 per month*